4x4 Advice for Chile Argentina

skibaru

Hey guys, I am about to do a 4.5 month trip to Chile, Argentina and am looking to buy a SUV of some sort in Santiago. I have poked around their classifieds (https://www.yapo.cl). Just looking for advice about models/configurations. Looking for something small to mid-size, please chime in if you know about what to stay away from - what to look for, common problems or fail points, 4x4 abilities etc. I'm spending a good chunk of my time in Bariloche in Argentina and am worried about parts availability for some of these cars.

I'm looking to spend 2.4K to 5K kind of the less the better. Ideally I would find something that looks like ******** but is great mechanically. Don't need a ton of space but I think the older 2dr Suzki Vitaras are just too small for all my gear.

Ok without further ado here are the contenders:
Chevrolet (Isuzu) Trooper - 1st gen, staying away from the 2nd gen b/c of reliability concerns (Here's a sweet one - Price is right! )
Huyndai Galloper (Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero) - Gravitating towards this one currently, there are some diesel 2dr examples (Looks like ********! Runs but smokes (!?), This is a nicer one, more money than I would like to spend)
Sizuki Grand Vitara - Ton of these on local forums, looking at older 4 door examples or newer 2 doors
Nissan Terreno II - Some cool 2 door models - no idea about reliability or parts availability (here)
Nissan Terreno (Pathfinder) - Lots of these of various generations
Kia Sportage - Tons of these, wondering about reliability
Daihatsu Rocky/Feroza - Seems like they are generally reliable, wondering about parts availability

Thanks in advance for any help!

tanuki.himself

when are you looking for? Assuming I get down there OK i'll be looking to sell my Grand Vitara in argentina in January.

i would definitely recommend the suzuki in any case - i bought it specifically as there is a full dealer network all throughout central and south America. I just needed a brake caliper pin a few days ago and the dealer in Guatemala city had it in stock. Comfortable on the highway, and even the "road" up to Semuk Champey - more like a riverbed, reckoned the worst road in Guatemala by some other travellers here - didnt faze it even in the rain with just 4H - didnt need to engage the central lock. Widely used as a reasonably serious small off-roader in Oz and South Africa. And so far this trip i've been averaging 23.5mpg with the aircon on - thats the 2.4 4cyl

Last edited:

skibaru

I have actually seen this, a bit out of my price range though 5 grand is my absolute max.
when are you looking for? Assuming I get down there OK i'll be looking to sell my Grand Vitara in argentina in January.

i would definitely recommend the suzuki in any case - i bought it specifically as there is a full dealer network all throughout central and south America. I just needed a brake caliper pin a few days ago and the dealer in Guatemala city had it in stock. Comfortable on the highway, and even the "road" up to Semuk Champey - more like a riverbed, reckoned the worst road in Guatemala by some other travellers here - didnt faze it even in the rain with just 4H - didnt need to engage the central lock. Widely used as a reasonably serious small off-roader in Oz and South Africa. And so far this trip i've been averaging 23.5mpg with the aircon on - thats the 2.4 4cyl

Unfortunately, I am looking in mid july! Thanks for the advice though - might have to go with the Suzuki

tanuki.himself

Unfortunately, I am looking in mid july! Thanks for the advice though - might have to go with the Suzuki

If I were starting over for the Americas trip i would chose the same again in a heartbeat. Good luck, and if you are still around that part of the world in December maybe we'll run into you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles