4WheelResto

resto

Pacific Northwest
Hi All,

A while back, on a beautiful sunny day my wife came home and commented how she had seen this couple getting in to their Westfalia camper heading off, exploring. She said "wouldn't it be nice if we had a Westfalia again." Little did she know, she had started my adventure of finding a camping unit for us. Because I need a truck and did not want to have an extra vehicle just for travelling, a Westfalia was out of the question. I am calling this thread a 4WheelResto as it refers to the restoration of my 4-Wheel truck and off-road camper.
.​
I first found my truck. It was similar to the truck shown in the picture below. The truck shown in the picture is of the one featured in the hit BBC Show "Killing a Toyota Truck" As you can see from the video these trucks are tough. The only differences from the one in the video is mine is a Xtra cab, and 4-cylinder gas engine, not diesel; they looked virtually idententical prior to me "tuning mine up".
.​
0.jpg
.​
I began searching for an All-Terrain or Four Wheel camper — these were the only campers I considered due to their light-weight design and off-road durability.
.​
After an extensive one year search, I finally found my baby; a 1989 Four Wheel Camper—Ranger II.
.​

.​

It was a 20 hr round trip to go pick her up. I will be eternally grateful to Dan for selling her to me, and all the work he did in preparing it for the ride home. With a little "tuning up"...

1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

.​
We intend to take this on many adventures: camping, road cycling, mountain biking and hiking.
.​
During the "tune up" I had dealt a great deal with both Terry and Brenda from Four Wheel Campers and Jeff and Marty from All Terrain Campers and was amazed at how friendly and helpful they all were, many thanks guys.
I am currently working on putting a blog together that will go over in greater detail the methods I used to complete this project along with helpful technical tips relating to my build. Stay tuned!
.​

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
Wow! I looked at the first pics of the camper and thought" this thing is never going anywhere"
What an awesome job! Definitely post lots of inside and in progress pics.
Enjoy!
Keith

longhorn1

Observer
Nice job. Wander the West is a great site for Four Wheel Camper owners. A great group of people and a wealth of information. Check it out.

DaGoof

Nice work! Did you replace the siding or fix and paint it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djmase

Adventurer
"You keep using this word, I do not think it means what you think it means." (i.e. tune-up) :Wow1:

I want you to "tune-up" my rig next; excellent work!!!

bob91yj

Resident **************
It'll NEVER work!:sombrero:

What an incredible job. I too would have been a doubter if you had posted what you were starting with. Looking forward to more pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles