4Wheel Pop Up Short Bed Truck Bed Camper* $500 (Marana Ariz)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Not mine.....seems cheap enuf for a good project camper.....He has photos online at the CL ad.

"I have a 4Wheel brand pop up short bed truck camper. I think it's a mid 80's model. I believe it was designed for a Ford Ranger sized pickup. I use it in my 2002 F150 and it fits fine.

It's in good shape. Has an ice box (not a refer), gas stove, and a sink with water tank.

It has 4 jacks, but only 3 are working well.

I have only used it a few times since I bought it because my wife doesn't like to camp.

I think it's really handy. With the top down, the center of gravity on the truck is lower, so when you go off road it doesn't feel so top heavy like a regular cab over.

It would work great for a fisherman who wants to tow a boat. Or a hunter who hauls a rhino or an atv.

email if you are interested.

I might be interested in trade for firearms or something.

**I am not interested in exchanging a postal money order with your cousin, shipping this to Nigeria, or any other scam you might have to offer. Cash at pick up**

http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/3474064427.html

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Appears to be a good deal but who had the bright idea to paint the roof of a camper in Arizona black ?:sunny: :smilies27 BTW, there is a nice yellow RR for sale just a little south of Marana, just off I-10

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Appears to be a good deal but who had the bright idea to paint the roof of a camper in Arizona black ?:sunny: :smilies27 BTW, there is a nice yellow RR for sale just a little south of Marana, just off I-10

It was 18F when I woke up yesterday in the northern AZ desert...Black roof would have been nice

Willys3b

Well, I bought it. :sombrero: Not sure I am happy to admit to that or not....the paint is hideous. The owner previous to the guy I bought it from painted it, I guess to match his red and black toyota truck. I can see the decals under the red paint. He didn't paint the roof, just up the sides to the top. Took it home to Phoenix in the dark, blew the truck fuses for the brake and turn signals after plugging in the camper lights, drove home with just tail lights. Opened it up the next morning after rain overnight and maybe two quarts of water came down out of the canvas at the drivers front. The headliner and bed cushion were soaked. Floor material in the overhead is swollen in that corner, so it has probably been leaking for a while. Propane tank is full and leaking at the guage port. The velcro for two of the window flaps seems to be worn out? The jacks are all mismatched, leaking and one on the rear would not pump up at all. I had a little trouble getting it down after taking it off the truck. Ended up tipping it over.

Willys3b

ha... sounds like quite the project! we need pictures!

I have just a few, and none before I took it off the truck.
DSC05563.JPGDSC05578.JPGDSC05579.JPGDSC05583.JPG

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Well, I bought it. :sombrero: Not sure I am happy to admit to that or not....the paint is hideous. The owner previous to the guy I bought it from painted it, I guess to match his red and black toyota truck. I can see the decals under the red paint. He didn't paint the roof, just up the sides to the top. Took it home to Phoenix in the dark, blew the truck fuses for the brake and turn signals after plugging in the camper lights, drove home with just tail lights. Opened it up the next morning after rain overnight and maybe two quarts of water came down out of the canvas at the drivers front. The headliner and bed cushion were soaked. Floor material in the overhead is swollen in that corner, so it has probably been leaking for a while. Propane tank is full and leaking at the guage port. The velcro for two of the window flaps seems to be worn out? The jacks are all mismatched, leaking and one on the rear would not pump up at all. I had a little trouble getting it down after taking it off the truck. Ended up tipping it over.

Hmmm. Mine started about the same way - sans the water leak.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4943/

Willys3b

Hmmm. Mine started about the same way - sans the water leak.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4943/

You have done a nice job on yours. I know that I skimmed through your thread some time ago because the image of your camper frame where the jack was tweaked stuck with me. Not only the breaks but all those holes! I am putting used replacement jacks on and the rear replacement jack brackets will get drilled to match the existing holes in the FWC frame. Fabricating new brackets for the front . Your re-build and others show what can be done with an older FWC. I have to resist the urge to strip the camper down and make changes. For now I will just make it safe to use, do as minimal repairing/replacement as I can until I am comfortable using it and then decide if this is going to work for me. I wanted an inexpensive eagle shell but this was priced right and it will give me an idea if this is the direction I want to go. Coming from this:
Winter Camp 12-06_04.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
For now I will just make it safe to use, do as minimal repairing/replacement as I can until I am comfortable using it and then decide if this is going to work for me.

It's a good way to approach it if you are unsure.

This was my first pop up camper (had hard sides growing up & a couple times in my early adult life), so we held back a little when we rebuilt it. I put enough money into it that I was 95% sure I'd be happy with it (not cutting too many corners due to cost), but not sinking so much into that I would have trouble recovering it. I'm pretty sure I could recover 100% of my investment plus a couple thousand $$$ if I decided to sell it - but I doubt I could cover my labor at a reasonable rate (I spent close to 200 hours on it).

Willys3b

I was able to use this during the holidays and it actually was not too bad after cleaning the inside quite a bit. Certainly big enough inside for me but I am surprised how heavy it feels on my shortbed 1/2 ton dodge. The center of gravity marked on the camper is maybe 18 inches or so behind the rear axle so that doesn't help but it feels more top heavy than I imagined it would. Not really a fan of the "wings" either.....I need to make some repairs, decide whether to airbag the truck and go from there.

DSC05717.JPGDSC05724.JPG

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
. . . I am surprised how heavy it feels on my shortbed 1/2 ton dodge. The center of gravity marked on the camper is maybe 18 inches or so behind the rear axle so that doesn't help but it feels more top heavy than I imagined it would.

I've got the same problem - all of the weight is on the rear suspension. Air bags will help, but the shocks will never be able to keep up (and if you buy a set that will - they will be brutal when you don't have the camper on).

It's the price we pay for that extra 18" of space inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94