4WD or Not?

Bullseye240

Adventurer
This thread reminds me of why I love my Rubicrawler in my LJ. Two transfer case levers for the following gears: 2WD high, 2WD low (2.72:1), 4WD high, 4WD low (2.72:1), 4WD Rubicon low (4.0:1), and 4WD double low (10.88:1) for when climbing trees seems like a good idea. 2WD low is the ideal gear for forest service roads when you want to go slow yet do not need 4WD. I'm not sure if they make anything for the newer models, but it is one of my favorite mods.

billiebob

Why would you NOT use 4WD and halve the loads on those components while doubling traction and reducing track damage?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
While I agree with that concept, there is often plenty of traction in 2WD and while 4WD doubles the traction, any part time 4WD transfer case LOCKS both axles so if you need to maneuver 4WD actually tears up the terra firma.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
While I agree with that concept, there is often plenty of traction in 2WD and while 4WD doubles the traction, any part time 4WD transfer case LOCKS both axles so if you need to maneuver 4WD actually tears up the terra firma.
The tailshafts are 'locked', not the axles, so the diffs still do their job as usual.
In any case, wheel spin for whatever reason will be significantly reduced in 4WD.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Why would you NOT use 4WD and halve the loads on those components while doubling traction and reducing track damage?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Because in the situation I'm using 2WD low there is no need at all for 4WD, not for traction or for reducing track damage. I'm simply using it to slow down and enjoy the woods as they pass by. The road isn't steep, rough, or even muddy, as for any load, putting it in 2WD low already lowers any stress they are likely to see in this situation.

billiebob

The tailshafts are 'locked', not the axles, so the diffs still do their job as usual.
In any case, wheel spin for whatever reason will be significantly reduced in 4WD.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
You miss the point, any part time 4WD does not have a center differential. Go into a parking lot and drive a figure 8..... then look at all those little skid marks as the axle hopped and the tires chirped..... That is not tread lightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94