4wd, Awd or 2wd w/locker???

RJ Howell

A van conversion is in our future, what and how to convert is the open question. So, here's what I 'think' and open to corrections.. please.

4WD: Well, probably the best off-road scenario, yet not the best highway vehicle.
AWD: Still has the front/rear traction and balances out between reasonable off-road and good highway.
2WD/w/locker: An older Telephone truck I had, years back, had this, probably a lunch box type (?). Was amazed as too where I could go.

Cost wise, most $$ 4wd, a bit less AWD and lastly 2wd w/locker.

4wd and Awd should get me on and of the beach (mainly the dunes trail in/off). I don't really see the 2wd w/locker doing the dead.

All 3 should get me around on the Fire Roads and most 2 tracks around me. I'm hesitant about any mud or stream crossings with 2wd w/locker.

Our overlanding is mainly fire roads and 2 tracks and little to light rock crawling.

I am curious (as I learn about lockers) if you can do this to a Awd as well. Seems that may be the best scenario for my style of travel/overland.

I have found a few pretty decent deals on 2wd and only 1 so far as a Awd. The 4wd have been very costly..

Appreciate any and all input you wish to share.

JakeC

I was actually researching this earlier on this week. I actually stumbled upon another Expedition Portal thread about it. The talk was unanimously in favor of 4WD but this was also in the Toyota section, not the Van section. I am definitely interested to see how vanners weigh in!

billiebob

I am curious (as I learn about lockers) if you can do this to a Awd as well. Seems that may be the best scenario for my style of travel/overland.
Yes, AWD is determined by the transfer case, lockers are in the difs. Jeep had a 4WD system which gave 2HI, 4HI, 4LO plus AWD with an open transfer case. Add lockers and it did it all. And you could get it with a clutch.

NP242.. 2WD - 4 PARTTIME - 4 FULLTIME - N - 4 LO.

2WD with a rear locker is only real useful if the rear axle is always fully loaded... even better if it is a dual tire setup. In an average pickup the best traction is under the engine, the box empty has not enough weight to benefit from a locker. A full size camper van would be ideal for 2WD with a locker.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The other thing to factor in when trying to compare costs is whether or not a locker is available for the van in question. There are a whole mess of vans on the road for which NO selectable locker is offered. (And I will caution anyone in this discussion against considering LSDs or Autolockers in the same category, as the behavior is different enough to be considered a different option.)

In fact, if your van is anything other than a Ford or Chevy full-size, the chances that a selectable locker is available go down fast. Just something to keep in mind.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is also a bit of a grey area with AWD style systems (open center differential). Many have traction control which works to shunt power to non spinning wheels via brake applications. Depending on the implementation these systems can be a good compromise between the locked center diff 4x4 systems. They get better when coupled with a helical or torque biasing limit slip differential.

Many folks are fully committed to the ecosystem, and can't consider the possibility of someone who simply doesn't need 4x4, or avoids situations where they need it. If you are not in deep sand or snow, or on slick surfaces, then a 2WD with good tires, clearance, and possible a locker or LSD, will get you plenty of the places you want to go.

rruff

Explorer
4wd and Awd should get me on and of the beach (mainly the dunes trail in/off). I don't really see the 2wd w/locker doing the dead.

I drove in all sorts of sand (sand washes and beach) with a 2wd and no locker or limited slip ('84 Toyota PU). Air down to 10psi or less. No worries. Yes, I had weight on the back; I was living in it.

If I went with a van setup I'd be happy with 2wd. I bought a new truck and 4wd was like $2k more, so why not. I'd be more concerned about a mild lift, bigger tires, and low gearing. Locker or limited slip would be very nice. The new vans (like the Transit) have teeny tires and no ground clearance, and modding them is costly and not so great. 4WD upgrades are ~$15k which is pretty silly if you are on a budget. Seems like an older style body-on-frame van would be your best bet for offroad.

TheATPT

4x4 is the only thing I would consider, for me I want the ability to get myself out of any situation I get myself into, but I tend to do dumb stuff. I have front and rear lockers and a winch for self rescue. May not be for everyone but I would rather be looking at it than looking for it.

vwhammer

Adventurer
'Twas a meaty loaf of a man that once said "Two out of three ain't bad".
Why not get the best of both worlds?

I guess I don't know what you are converting and how in depth you were looking to go with the conversion but I chose the AWD/4WD route.
I won't get into my build much because it's complicated and I have not worked on it in a year.
However, there are some options.

Many of the Land Rover Discoveries, as well as several other 4x4s, were and still are, in fact, AWD and can be locked into full on 4x4 mode with low range and all that jazz should the going get rough.
For this reason I chose the Land Rover LT230 transfer case for my build.
It has an aluminum case and is gear driven.
It also has a 3.32:1 low range and actually has a 1.2:1 high range so you can run a little larger tires and not have to do a gear swap in the axles.
As I mentioned, or maybe I didn't but this is a full time AWD transfer case that has a center diff that can be locked for even power split to the front and rear diff (there were a few years that could not be locked so careful selection is key).

I have been preaching about the LT230 for years and many of the hardcore off road guys know how good these case are.
It's very likely the only good part (other than the cool Disco shape) of any of the Discoveries that had this case

I primarily wanted AWD so I don't have to get all scared in bad weather but I also wanted to have the option to lock everything up and get after it should the need arise.
A full time case with the locking option seemed like the only choice for me.

I would have to look more but I know there are a handful of adapters out there to mate these to several transmissions.

With a little fab work, it is also possible to set them up in a divorced arrangement. (this is what I am doing)
In something with the wheelbase of a van this would work fine and actually might simplify the conversion to AWD/4WD because you can run what ever engine and trans combo is already in the van you choose.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The LT 230 transfer case just might be the ticket/swap for those with GM AWD vans that want to keep the AWD capability and add "Locked" 4WD LO capability.

Something to consider?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I don't think the OP is interested in building a ground-up custom 4x4 conversion. I read their post as wanted to build a van conversion based on an existing platform.

RJ Howell

Funny how things go.. I now have a 2011 Chevy Express AWD (w/rear locker installed) to look at. Did they come stock this way? I'm going to have a look, but it's a 1500 and standard wheelbase.. I'm looking for 2500 and extended.

RJ Howell

I don't think the OP is interested in building a ground-up custom 4x4 conversion. I read their post as wanted to build a van conversion based on an existing platform.

Well... That really depends of how intense the build is.. I would prefer a base platform (probably awd) to work from.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Funny how things go.. I now have a 2011 Chevy Express AWD (w/rear locker installed) to look at. Did they come stock this way? I'm going to have a look, but it's a 1500 and standard wheelbase.. I'm looking for 2500 and extended.

AWD 1500s were common. The G80 rear diff (Eaton "gov-lock" auto-locker) was an option from the factory, and there are a number of selectable locker options that may have been fitted (standard GM 10-bolt 8.5"/8.6" rear, except for the axle width). The 2500 AWD vans are definitely Unicorns. Nominally, some number of them were built, but I have never seen one for real. (e.g. everyone I've seen advertised turns out to have been a 1500 AWD). The front suspension and subframe arrangement is totally different for the AWD vans, and I do not believe that a heavier-duty torsion spring was ever available, so it was sort of tricky to build a 3/4-ton AWD.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The LT 230 transfer case just might be the ticket/swap for those with GM AWD vans that want to keep the AWD capability and add "Locked" 4WD LO capability.

Something to consider?

The Astro/Safari guys have done a similar thing with figuring out how to get the NP236 to work in those vans. AWD for the highway, 4WD/4LO for the trail is definitely the best option if you can get it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles