4WD Action On Youtube

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
This video got me thinking about beadlocks. Graham and Shaun have blown beads several times throughout their posted videos. Are deadlocks not legal in Australia?

Pillow

I found 4WD Action a few weeks ago on YT as well and love it!

Agreed that it is inspirational to watch given the "less is more" rigs they are using. The cooking segment is a nice touch and uses a different pot setup than in the states.

Makes you want to slap on BFG KOs and just go get dirty!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Two things about watching more of these videos.

One, are these rigs just super heavy compared to US builds?

Two, it seems many times they get stuck because they did not have lockers. Every time I hear Graham talk about traction control and I see one of his tires in the air snipping when the one on the ground is not, makes me realize I much prefer lockers.

Low_Sky

Two things about watching more of these videos.

One, are these rigs just super heavy compared to US builds?

Two, it seems many times they get stuck because they did not have lockers. Every time I hear Graham talk about traction control and I see one of his tires in the air snipping when the one on the ground is not, makes me realize I much prefer lockers.

The show is heavily sponsored, but they don’t really disclose that. If you watch enough episodes you figure out who’s paying/sponsoring them by how they feature the products. Graham’s mostly stock truck is one of the product placements.

I like the show, but I skip the camping/cooking segments. I don’t need recipes for “what’s at the bottom of the fridge pineapple tomato chicken curry”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwhammer

Adventurer
I personally like the cooking segments.
I am always looking for camp meals using anything.

Don't really care for the staged "pranks".
Just seems cheesy.

I notice that they seem to mention that a lot of the trucks have lockers but a lot of the times they are not engaged.
Like if you were pointed at a gnarly section that maybe does not have any sharp turns why would you not turn on the lockers.
I paid a lot of wampum for my lockers and you better believe I am going to use them every chance I get.
Me when I get home - "Oh man my driveway looks slick. I better lock all 3 lockers"

As far as vehicle weight, the Landcruisers have always been beefcakes.
Then they pile on a ton of gear.
I am also sure that the V8 diesel in most of these rigs weighs a whole lot more than any of the engines that came in them stateside.

Doesn't the US spec 200 series weigh more than 8000 pounds?

EDIT: ok I just looked and it tows 8000 lbs and only weighs a little under 6000.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
They just released, re-released a video of doing the Tele Track in the Cape. They mention there are several fuel stops along the 350km~ track. Do any of those have Petrol or are they all Diesel?

frozenstarz

that channel is pretty cool plus the ecomuse one, shows you can readily do it all solo and still make a watchable fun channel. The D-max I think is given by Isuzu as graham just collected a new red one

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I have been watching them both quite a bit. I think we should post up and discuss each video when it comes out.

The one thing I have noticed is how they drive. Seems to be a lot more use of the skinny pedal and tires are deflated nearly as much.

Plus, it seems they tend to bend steering components on the IFS rigs quite a bit. However, in there defense they seem to be dealing with a lot of slick mud.

Rumpig,
I'm wondering how the Australian government will handle a vehicle like the JL that can run 35s on the stock suspension. Is it the tyre size or the lift or a combo of the two?

I really wonder how the 4wd Action team would do with a SFA vehicle on 37s?

If the JL can run 35s on only a 2" increase over the largest factory stock or optional diameter, then that's fine - as it has the suspension to cope with it I suspect getting it engineered for the size increase wouldn't be too hard. Just had a look and the largest size they're listed with is a 32" equivalent, so they could go to about a 34" tyre without needing engineering.

This video got me thinking about beadlocks. Graham and Shaun have blown beads several times throughout their posted videos. Are deadlocks not legal in Australia?

I believe that they are not legal.

4wd action is great, I've watched them all.

Beadlocks aren't legal for road use, so that's why they aren't used.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Can you explain a little bit more about the engineering? Is it that you have to submit your build to an engineer for approval before it can be legal for street use?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
They just released, re-released a video of doing the Tele Track in the Cape. They mention there are several fuel stops along the 350km~ track. Do any of those have Petrol or are they all Diesel?
The "Old Telegraph Track" is about 100km. There is no fuel along that.
From Laura (about the end of the bitumen) north to the Tip via graded gravel roads is about 600km and there are half a dozen fuel stops offering both unleaded and diesel.
There are lots of side tracks to explore too.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Following from Peter's comment - the fuel in the Top End is likely to be diesel or Opal. Opal is a low odour petrol so that it's not appealing to sniff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online