4WC - Overrated and overpriced

Where Four Wheel Campers needs improvement is their quality control/customer service. We had a leaking roof, leaking plumbing fittings and a broken furnace from day 1. Their first instinct is to blame the customer instead of fix their issues. It took almost 6 months to finally have all of our problems resolved...minus the furnace. That junk was a lost cause. This is a conversation for another day but they need to do some serious training on their customer service team.
boy, i agree with that 110%, especially the part about making it seem like the customers fault like my dealer did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It's tough because all of these comments are correct and I feel like I should be looking elsewhere but at the end of the day it's hard not to put the FWC at the top of the list for my use/needs. I noticed some of the issues talked about here (they've been discussed for years) when using the Hawk slide-in on our Power Wagon a few years back, but I was still happy with it overall. There are better options out there but they come at a much higher price point and $35-40K for a flatbed model is already pricey enough as it is. Not only that, I personally think that FWC has one of the most aesthetically pleasing designs as well and that certainly factors into my decision here.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
It's tough because all of these comments are correct and I feel like I should be looking elsewhere but at the end of the day it's hard not to put the FWC at the top of the list for my use/needs. I noticed some of the issues talked about here (they've been discussed for years) when using the Hawk slide-in on our Power Wagon a few years back, but I was still happy with it overall. There are better options out there but they come at a much higher price point and $35-40K for a flatbed model is already pricey enough as it is. Not only that, I personally think that FWC has one of the most aesthetically pleasing designs as well and that certainly factors into my decision here.

You could take a look at the offerings by https://campovrlnd.com/ too. A bit different, but well built and offer a different approach to FWC and ATC.

OllieChristopher

I'm one of the very few on this forum that purpose built, from scratch, a custom 4-season camper that will last the test of time.
The proof is already there. Its been on the road since 2013, likely already has 80k+ road miles on it, and countless nights in every type of weather.

That is a very nice rig Kenny!! There is just no way you are going to get that quality from a production RV.

OTOH the 4WC campers are pretty darn well built serve many people looking for a light and compact turn key solution. I was looking for a used one a few years before all this COVID crud hit. It is rare to find them used as owners tend to keep them.

jadmt

ignore button user
I tell you who has really good customer service is GFC. I just bought a used GFC that is slightly under 1 year old but in that years time GFC has improved the hinge system and has offered to upgrade the hinges on every single previous camper free of charge and in fact they are driving around the country doing the repairs at peoples homes. I called them because I live 3 hours away and they got me scheduled to come in next week and they will do it while I wait. They asked if there were any other issues that needed be fixed while I am there. They warranty the camper not the person who bought it originally. I emailed them inquiring about if they would replace them if I was not the original owner and I swear I got a call 1/2 hour later telling me yup camper is warrantied for life on hinges with no charges involved.

OllieChristopher

Watch Craigslist and @usedfourwheelcampers on instagram.

I'm done looking. The price for me is just too hard to swallow. Current fair market value and what I am willing to pay is too far off. 5 years ago yes. Not now. I built mine for a few pennies on the dollar compared to a used 4WC and am blown away at how capable and comfortable my rig is.

smlobx

Wanderer
A few years ago when we were looking at a slide in camper FWC was on our short list but a couple of things made us go in another direction.

First the pricing…yes the base price was pretty reasonable but by the time you added what several other manufacturers included in their base price you were on par with them.

‘Secondly, the Spartan nature of the interior. There are several instances where there is exposed metal (hinges etc.) showing which led me to believe that there wasn’t a lot of design thought out into the camper..also the sleeping area was very spartan and the mattress was cheap and there wasn’t enough space vertically to Improve it.

Thirdly, the roof lifting mechanism is just stupid and would be difficult for my wife to operate. Also the roof is so thin that you can’t even stand on it. The Hallmark can support over 500 pounds!

Based on our results we purchased a Hallmark Everest and have been very happy. The quality is second to none and the follow up service for minor things is amazing.

3C558209-3F05-4E69-84ED-91CFD2543A23.jpeg

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
To prove the point on quality and durability perhaps fwc advocates might want to share some pic/videos of what the fwc's are capable of rather than boasting their sturdiness and why they are better than most.
As a previous owner of an eagle i did not have a truck with serious rock crawling capabilities . But did get to remote areas that a full size truck and camper could not negotiate.

Edit:
Pictures are worth a thousand opinions

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

A few years ago when we were looking at a slide in camper FWC was on our short list but a couple of things made us go in another direction.

First the pricing…yes the base price was pretty reasonable but by the time you added what several other manufacturers included in their base price you were on par with them.

‘Secondly, the Spartan nature of the interior. There are several instances where there is exposed metal (hinges etc.) showing which led me to believe that there wasn’t a lot of design thought out into the camper..also the sleeping area was very spartan and the mattress was cheap and there wasn’t enough space vertically to Improve it.

Thirdly, the roof lifting mechanism is just stupid and would be difficult for my wife to operate. Also the roof is so thin that you can’t even stand on it. The Hallmark can support over 500 pounds!

Based on our results we purchased a Hallmark Everest and have been very happy. The quality is second to none and the follow up service for minor things is amazing.

Good points. However, there is always a compromise with any slide in camper. 4WC claim to fame is the lightweight nature of their product. The Grandby 8' slide in base model loaded with water comes in at under 1300 lbs. It also has a low center of gravity at 32". This makes for a very light and capable back country camper.

The Hallmark Everest comes in at 1900 lbs loaded with water. It also has a center of gravity at 37". This makes for a very heavy camper in the pop up segment. At over 600lbs more weight and 5" higher center of gravity, it is not going to have the ability to tackle as rough terrain as the 4WC.

Sounds like you chose a lot more luxury at the cost of capability and simplicity. That's cool. It's a matter of pick your poison.

When I was looking at pop up campers the 4WC was really best bang for the buck. They have been around a long time and have a segment in the market that demands a simple camper that will handle back country travel better than any other slide in made.

smlobx

Wanderer
^^^
While most of what you said might be true there are other components than what you mentioned that led us to the Hallmark.

It has a larger water capacity that lets us stay out much longer than a Grandby would have.

The Everest has (in my case at least) 2, 20# propane bottles…once again to allow us to stay off the grid longer

The Everest comes standard with a hot/cold outside shower

The bed is much more comfortable. Our days of not sleeping comfortably are over.

The Everest is 6” longer which makes a huge difference in interior livability if the weather shuts you in.

The Everest is much better insulated. The thermal bridging found in all FWC’s is notoriously bad and contributes to the condensation issues they are known for.

I can easily sleep 3 adults which for future travel was important to us.

I can’t comment on your center of gravity calculations except to say that the COG measurement is the distance from the front of the camper to the centerline (weight wise) of the camper, not height wise. It is to make sure that this point needs to be at or slightly forward of your rear axle. I can tell you that we have been places (like the top of Hurricane Pass) that most people didn’t think were possible but I’m a firm believer that has more to do with the drivers skill than anything else. There is no place that a Grandby can go that we can’t.

8B4106A9-BF50-48DE-B933-A7A843DA93DD.jpeg

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
^^^
While most of what you said might be true there are other components than what you mentioned that led us to the Hallmark.
. . .
I can’t comment on your center of gravity calculations except to say that the COG measurement is the distance from the front of the camper to the centerline (weight wise) of the camper, not height wise . . .
I'm thankful that we live in an economy that allows for these choices. What you listed has no added value to me and the weight would put me over GVWR. I have stayed out for 18 days without resupply, which is enough for me.

You are incorrect about Center of Gravity, which is a 3D point in space about which the weight of your camper can be concidered to act. The height of your CG affects the roll and pitch of your truck; the higher the CG the more torque is applied to the roll center of your vehicle. This results in more roll and pitch when the orientation of your truck changes.
Position of CG front to back affects roll much more than anything else.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Good points. However, there is always a compromise with any slide in camper. 4WC claim to fame is the lightweight nature of their product. The Grandby 8' slide in base model loaded with water comes in at under 1300 lbs. It also has a low center of gravity at 32". This makes for a very light and capable back country camper.

The Hallmark Everest comes in at 1900 lbs loaded with water. It also has a center of gravity at 37". This makes for a very heavy camper in the pop up segment. At over 600lbs more weight and 5" higher center of gravity, it is not going to have the ability to tackle as rough terrain as the 4WC.

Sounds like you chose a lot more luxury at the cost of capability and simplicity. That's cool. It's a matter of pick your poison.

When I was looking at pop up campers the 4WC was really best bang for the buck. They have been around a long time and have a segment in the market that demands a simple camper that will handle back country travel better than any other slide in made.
When truck camper manufacturers list center of gravity they aren’t referring to height, but rather the distance from the front.
Maybe they should list the cog height too though.

Attachments

• 1E57AA1F-975A-436B-823B-5B7821C7D2A5.jpeg
    1E57AA1F-975A-436B-823B-5B7821C7D2A5.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior