4th Gen Ram AEV winch bumper on 3rd Gen Ram

SixLug

Explorer
So I recently learned there are adapter brackets that will allow a 4th gen bumper to be mounted on a 3rd gen Ram. Which got my wheels turning. I have yet to find ANY winch bumper that I like for the 3rd gen. They are all gawdy or huge or jut out about 4 feet from the front, or too aggressive for my taste. This isn't a knock against those with a 3rd gen and a winch bumper but they just aren't to my personal liking. The best option to me is the ARB, but still, it is a bit too much.

So I realize there would have to be some adapters made, and they would have to be made beefy. But I LOVE the AEV bumper. It's very low key while being great looking and better than the factory unit. Any thoughts? Any good pictures of the mounting setup as it works on the 4th gen? It would be hard to be a guinea pig on this but that may be what it takes.

Oh, any intercooler fitment issues on a 3rd gen / winch clearance vs. the 4th gen?

Last edited:

Boz

Observer
I agree wholeheartedly about the lack of good looking winch bumpers for 3rd gens. I love the AEV bumper and considered the same option. I hope you do this, I'd love to see how it turns out. In the mean time, here's what I'm currently running. I'm happy with it so far. truck.png

SixLug

Explorer
Yeah, that is about the closest fitting and best looking bumper I have seen so far. My only gripe is that it is very "rock crawler" and from the front, you can see the whole tire and you lose the "air dam" aspect of a full bumper. Again, not a knock. I've seen your truck in the picture thread and it's ************, but I wan't a nice stock fitting bumper.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a 3G Power Wagon, so generally familiar with these trucks. Since yours appears to be a CTD, I'd look at the bumpers from ICI Magnum. When I needed a new bumper for my 2008 Tundra, I looked at everything out there and settled on the ICI because it was the cleanest fit and least flat-bill-stupid.

SixLug

Explorer
I have a 3G Power Wagon, so generally familiar with these trucks. Since yours appears to be a CTD, I'd look at the bumpers from ICI Magnum. When I needed a new bumper for my 2008 Tundra, I looked at everything out there and settled on the ICI because it was the cleanest fit and least flat-bill-stupid.

I think if I go for something like that I’ll just get the ARB. I’m super picky haha. That one would give the already big 3G Ram chin a much bigger chin I think, if you know what I mean. I like the AEV because it’s very sleek and doesn’t stick so far out to the front, and it’s very “stock” looking.

Boz

Observer

I looked at tons of bumpers and so many of them just look stupid on the 3rd gen Dodges. It may look fantastic on one brand (or even on the 4th gen Rams) but look like hammered ******** on a 3rd Gen. And so many bumper manufacturers don't have quality pictures of their stuff. Drives me freaking nuts. ICI was one of them, it looked like a giant smiley face on the 3rd gens.

Scoutman

Explorer
@SixLug I'm right there with you man on all accounts! I have looked at bumpers for a long time and at the end of the day I'm just not happy with any of them. AEV has been my favorite so far but it seemed the big dodge craze came about after the 3rd gen's. At the end of the day I'm just making do with the oem bumper. I've considered recessing a winch into it on a custom mount but haven't gotten that project off the ground yet.

Boz

Observer
Yeah, that is about the closest fitting and best looking bumper I have seen so far. My only gripe is that it is very "rock crawler" and from the front, you can see the whole tire and you lose the "air dam" aspect of a full bumper. Again, not a knock. I've seen your truck in the picture thread and it's ************, but I wan't a nice stock fitting bumper.

I don't disagree. But I hate the Jay Leno chin that most bumpers are more than I do the open "rock crawler" look. The ARB sticks out so far, and is nearly straight across the front. Had they wrapped it a bit towards the headlight, like I believe the current model does, I probably would've gone that route. See what I mean?

ARB_2237030-2_1200x.jpgIMG_1203.jpg.

SixLug

Explorer
@SixLug I'm right there with you man on all accounts! I have looked at bumpers for a long time and at the end of the day I'm just not happy with any of them. AEV has been my favorite so far but it seemed the big dodge craze came about after the 3rd gen's. At the end of the day I'm just making do with the oem bumper. I've considered recessing a winch into it on a custom mount but haven't gotten that project off the ground yet.

I've thought about the hidden winch aspect in the stock bumper also, but because of the intercooler I wasn't sure how that would work. I love the "stamped steel" aspect of the AEV, but it would be a big investment to "try" for sure.

SixLug

Explorer
I don't disagree. But I hate the Jay Leno chin that most bumpers are more than I do the open "rock crawler" look. The ARB sticks out so far, and is nearly straight across the front. Had they wrapped it a bit towards the headlight, like I believe the current model does, I probably would've gone that route. See what I mean?

View attachment 572528View attachment 572529.

Yeah I agree about it sticking out. I guess the fit and finish and "style" still look the best to me vs other aftermarket units. But I fully understand what you are saying. The 3Gs just have such a large chin..ha.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Mark me down as someone who wants to see a 4th gen AEV bumper mounted to a 3rd gen. I really want to like the ARB, but for the Powerwagon not having a intercooler like the cummins, it just adds too much overhang to the front over the factory Powerwagon winch bumper that it seems to be a step in the wrong direction for offroad use.

For what its worth, years ago someone did a 'Diesel Power Wagon'. I haven't been able to find the info on it but I was able to find a picture in a google search. I want to say it was in 4wheeler magazine where I originally saw it, and it may have been at Easter Jeep safari one year. What I found interesting was how they cut out the factory front bumper to fit the winch.

1583868439568.png

Attachments

• 1583868440153.png
    1583868440153.png
    897 KB · Views: 10

SixLug

Explorer
Mark me down as someone who wants to see a 4th gen AEV bumper mounted to a 3rd gen. I really want to like the ARB, but for the Powerwagon not having a intercooler like the cummins, it just adds too much overhang to the front over the factory Powerwagon winch bumper that it seems to be a step in the wrong direction for offroad use.

For what its worth, years ago someone did a 'Diesel Power Wagon'. I haven't been able to find the info on it but I was able to find a picture in a google search. I want to say it was in 4wheeler magazine where I originally saw it, and it may have been at Easter Jeep safari one year. What I found interesting was how they cut out the factory front bumper to fit the winch.

View attachment 572539

Yep that is the one that had kind of inspired my thought to integrate the winch into my factory bumper.

Per a couple other companies that make both 3G and 4G bumpers, the frame differences are not very big. I emailed them today.

I wonder if I emailed AEV about just developing some different mounting brackets or sending someone just the brackets and the center section of their bumper to see what it would take to make it work?

I mean that would open a whole other market for them and all they would have to do would be develop the brackets. I think the 06-09 guys would need to swap grills to the 03-05 style to make it look good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles