4th Gen 4Runner options ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I may have a line on a 4th Gen 2003 4Runner at a higher cost than I planned (18K with 61K mileage), but it might be possible.

What are the options for springs, shocks, tire sizes, etc ... ?

Need to figure out mod costs to see if this is even possible to get the vehicle and get it off-road ready (or more ready).

Thanks,

Jeff

And one more thing, if I went with a 3rd gen 4Runner, say 96+ with 100 to 125K (9 to 10K price), what are the things to look for on used ones? Any trouble spots?

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
No problems with 3rd Gens as far as I know. My kids get hauled around all day in a '99 4Runner and it's great. Road trips work well with a family of four too. Something you may want to consider looking for on a 3rd Gen, is a factory e-locker. Some had them, some didn't. I think Darren did some research that showed the 99's had a little bit better ground clerance than the other years.

The Sport edition is really nice, should come with a locker and hood scoop. If you get a 3rd gen, you want the scoop! If you're a manual transmission guy, the last were made in '99-'00. After that, all automatics. I would assume based on supply and demand it would be less expensive to kit out a 3rd Gen than a 4th Gen, but there's a ton available for both.

Here's a great write up Scott did on the ARB 4th gen 4Runner, over on Yotatech.com - a perfect resource for any and all 4Runners. They have a great classified section too, maybe someone nearby is selling their 4Runner? You should definitely check just in case.

Scott Brady

Founder
Loads of options for the 4th gen now, including F&R ARB's, OME and Deaver/DR goodies. 285's will fit without too much issue.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
And one more thing, if I went with a 3rd gen 4Runner, say 96+ with 100 to 125K (9 to 10K price), what are the things to look for on used ones? Any trouble spots?

Selling at a premium. Not sure about the rest of the country, but in Colorado the 3rd Gen's often sell at a significant premium beyond their bluebook value to the point that 2002's in good shape will frequently sell for more than a 2004.

I will offer the same advice as in the other thread, do a test fit. It is probably big enough because the deal breaker for me was where to put the two dogs. The 4th Gen's make a small sacrifice to cargo space in favor of a lager back seat, which may be good or bad as your kids grow.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Jeff - this is my current favorite farkle for the Gen 4:

b920226d1dbd0865df8731dfc23e204e.jpg

5312f0c2c57e9eed94383135c98737a8.jpg

It's made by Shrockworks and it is mighty nice. $889.00 plus optional lights among other things.

They are in development for 05+ Tacoma's right now.

Add some ARB lockers, DR suspension and you will have a solid platform. :jumping:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
these look sweet once they are outfitted ... what kind of mileage do people get with the V8, and, I see premium is recommended, but what are people actually running? And is there any harm in running 87 octane vs. 91?

Thanks,

Jeff

And Scott, would 255/85/16s fit?

Charger92

Thanks, nice!
Are you using a specific camera? the clarity is very good.
I think I have a Christmas list I need to start making with my one or two only items on it.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Seems like the V8 and trans are the same as in the LC, Sequoia and Tundra; so they should be very reliable! Milage should be around 19 hwy and 16 on the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke