4Runner SR5 - Can it be upgraded

RickSut

My Beloved 2006 Ford Exploder finally gave up the ghost and I had to find a new Tow Vehicle. The closest thing I could find was a used 2017 4runner SR5 with <10,000 miles and 4x4. Its not a TRD or anyting good. But wondering if it might benefit from a lift kit and maybe some skid plates and a new front bumper with winch? Or is this SR5 really a highway only vehicle and the TRD really much more off road suspensions and gearing. I come from upstate NY where we 4x4 in deep snow. Good snow tires are all you need as snow doesn't tend to destroy your car and crumble stuff up. Now I am in the south and it seems all the 4x4 action is in rock gardens that look like they can really do you some damage if your not well protected !!

So.. should wait until I can trade it in for a TRD pro, or can I dress it up? I don't want to put lipstick on a pig !
Thanks

ultragoat

I have a 2011 SR5 with a simple Old Man Emu lift and great tires. I’ve taken it many places that TRDs and Pros etc. have been. If you know how to drive and understand how the ATRAC and other features work you’ll have no issues with an SR5. 210k miles and zero issues. Very capable rig with little modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wallygator

Adventurer
The TRD PRO is not going to get you any farther up the trail than any other 4Runner trim. The TRD PRO is basically an appearance package with slightly nicer shocks. That said, the 4Runner is very capable stock. Throw on some sliders and good skid plates and it will take you all the way through to the end of the Rubicon trail. The SR5 will suit you just fine but keep in mind the 4Runner is only rated to tow 5000 lbs.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I personally see no value in the TRD models. Most people spend thousands extra to get the rear locker and throw the rest of the upgrades away. Big fan of both of my SR5’s.
Totally agree, the only thing I have still on the truck or ever use is the locker (mine's TRD Offroad). But I bought used and trim level wasn't a high priority when shopping (Access Cab w/ stick shift being rare enough). If I was buying a new truck it would be SR or SR5 since I'd save the money on stuff that was getting tossed anyway.

phsycle

Adventurer
I personally see no value in the TRD models. Most people spend thousands extra to get the rear locker and throw the rest of the upgrades away. Big fan of both of my SR5’s.

Agreed. I wish the 6MT were available in the DCSB SR trim. I got the OR, because that's what was available and got a pretty good price on it anyway. But I

My Beloved 2006 Ford Exploder finally gave up the ghost and I had to find a new Tow Vehicle. ..

Ok, hold up. What are you towing?

RickSut

Ok, hold up. What are you towing?

I towing a heavily taylored 2008 Aliner classic with an Off Road Lifted axle and solar power. I have dragged it through many a swamp or blizzard with the previous Exploder, but now that I'm in the south these tall sharp teeth looking things "you all" call rocks are a little scary. I never had a snow drift eat the bottom of my car !!

Good to know I was somewhat smarter than I thought when I decided to buy this SR5 thinking that no one in the big 5 auto industry marketing and design knows anything about 4x4 use. It was a "too good of a deal to pass up" buy one late Sunday night from a dealer. 2017 SR5 Premium with just 9K miles on it. Clean Car fax and just $25K. You have to love the internet !!

Last edited:

RickSut

2008 Aliner Classic, Weighs 2000lbs fully loaded, 250 on the tongue, it might weight more than that after pulling it through a few swamps or snow banks !

ultragoat

2008 Aliner Classic, Weighs 2000lbs fully loaded, 250 on the tongue, it might weight more than that after pulling it through a few swamps or snow banks !

You’ll be totally fine towing that! Holy smokes on the deal for your truck! That’s an incredible price!

RickSut

I'm just trying to figure out now what to do to keep it simple, but safe. For I usually go out alone and don't have much crawling interest, just old roads and mountains !:)

matoolie

Congrats on the new 4Runner! Much better than Explorer! I made the same move years ago from an ‘02 Explorer to ‘06 4runner and never looked back. Now have ‘14 Limited 4runner. Tons of information on upgrades on T4R forum is 5th gen section. First thing may be to consider better tires for your use assuming OEM tires are still on the vehicle.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'm just trying to figure out now what to do to keep it simple, but safe. For I usually go out alone and don't have much crawling interest, just old roads and mountains !:)

Keep it as stock as possible. As mentioned all you really need is good tires. Have fun with it.

ultragoat

Stock with great tires.....then take it to a legit off-road driving school and see just how insanely capable they are with little modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles