4runner sleeping platform question.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
:26_7_2: :violent-smiley-031:
Yah thats supposed to be beating a horse, whatever.
I am no Carpenter. I can take the plywood piece and carpet it for a sleeping platform, but I dont want to make the drawers. Any idea where I can buy a set of drawers. I have tried home depot, costco, and even some company called suv cargo caddy, but none are exactly what I'm looking for. Any sources or companies where I can get (ruffly!) a 9 to 14" high, 40" deep and 38" wide set of one of two drawers. It needs to be out of wood or be strong enough to support the bed since it will be acting as the base. Then I'll make an extention so when the seats are down I can extend the bed.
(I know there is a ton of info on yotatech and 4x4wire, but all of them have made their own or didn't mention where and what model drawers they bought)
Thank you!!!!:mixed-smiley-030: :safari-rig: :coffee:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
wow, some of those look pretty tech! Still too rich for my blood though. I was hoping to find some bare bones wooden drawers for under $100 that I could modify.
Is there an outlet that contractors go to for drawes/cabinets?

what about picking up some bb slide rollers, the kind used for big heavy desks, and making something from plywood?

You could even make a "garage" out of plywood that would cover two large tupperware bins, even give it a hinged door that folds down so you'll have something to set the bins on when you need to access them.

*edit* or...there's what i and others have done during college and continue using since it's so convenient...get the long, wide, but not tall clear tupperware bins that rest on top of each other. Then you'd even have organization...you could fit an awful lot of socks in one of the long tubs :p.

Clutch

<---Pass
SOAZ said:
wow, some of those look pretty tech! Still too rich for my blood.

Yea, me too. I wouldn't pay those prices either. I am a cheap SOB.

Look at thrift shops, used tool shops...and I don't know about Phoenix, but we have a couple places that recycles old building products, from when people do remodels.

Try salvage yards too.

"One mans junk...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Sleeping platform

neliconcept said:
wow that unit looks very nice, I assume he built it? or did he order it from somewhere?

You got it, he built it from 2" x 4" and 3/4" ply wood. He painted it then got the carpet and hardware from Home Depot. Works well.

Keep in mind that it is heavy and my friend mentionned that he can feel the difference in how his 4Runner handles with this in place. He is running stock suspension at this point.

Cheers :beer:,
P

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
p1michaud said:
You got it, he built it from 2" x 4" and 3/4" ply wood. He painted it then got the carpet and hardware from Home Depot. Works well.

Keep in mind that it is heavy and my friend mentionned that he can feel the difference in how his 4Runner handles with this in place. He is running stock suspension at this point.

P

yeah I got to do some measurements today and get started on my build myself.
I just dont know how to carpet plywood, guess you just stretch and staple but Im skeptical of my skills sometimes when it comes to new stuff, once I dive in hopefully I'll get better at it

thanks for the info

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Carpet installation

neliconcept said:
I just dont know how to carpet plywood, guess you just stretch and staple but Im skeptical of my skills sometimes when it comes to new stuff, once I dive in hopefully I'll get better at it

All I did for my carpet, was stretch it over the surface and staple it in place. I also wrapped the carpet right arround the plywood and stapled it to the back and used a knife to make cuts for a clean install. Some guys also use spray on adhesive to glue the carpet on.

Take your time and you will be fine. Post some pics when you are done.
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles