4Runner or JLU

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I put a deposit on a 2020 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium with KDSS that I expect to pick up this week. I’m adding a small lift, A/T tires, etc. Mixed feelings, as I’ve really enjoyed the Jeep JK, but confident the 4Runner is better suited for our needs. Only time will tell.

Thank you all for your input. I’ll post some pictures when I get out in trail in the new rig.
Thanks. I’m actually doing the lift and a few upgrades immediately. It may be more wise to wait and see how it performs before making changes, but I recently retired and my wife is encouraging me to treat myself. Great wife!

I’ve done a lot of research and, based upon my intended use, am doing a modest build. I’m putting on Bilstein 6112/5160 shocks with 1” OME rear springs. I plan to set it up slightly taller than a TRD PRO and maintaining a bit of rake. I’m putting on TRD PRO wheels with 275/70R17 BFG KO2s. I’ll be adding a Victory 4x4 hidden winch mount / bumper with integrated LED light bar and Warn winch. I’m also adding Victory 4x4 sliders with integrated steps, as well as roof rack cross braces from the same vendor that fit in the OME roof rack rails. I’ll transfer self-recovery equipment from the Jeep and head into mountains to celebrate my retirement from one career and the beginning of another.

Congrats on the new rig, I am sure you will enjoy the change of pace. The thing I miss most about the 5th Gen is the roll down rear widow haha. Below is a pic of our 2018 TRD Pro with a 1" lift over the stock TRD Pro Bilsteins and sitting on 275/70/17 KO2's on the TRD Pro wheels. This should be exactly how yours will sit/look. I am excited to see where you take your build and how you feel about the 5th Gen vs. the JKU after you get a few months of use under your belt.

EsHcb3F.jpg

AV8

Congrats on the new rig, I am sure you will enjoy the change of pace. The thing I miss most about the 5th Gen is the roll down rear widow haha. Below is a pic of our 2018 TRD Pro with a 1" lift over the stock TRD Pro Bilsteins and sitting on 275/70/17 KO2's on the TRD Pro wheels. This should be exactly how yours will sit/look. I am excited to see where you take your build and how you feel about the 5th Gen vs. the JKU after you get a few months of use under your belt.

EsHcb3F.jpg
That rig looks great! Excited to get mine. Thanks for sharing. What brand slider and roof rack is that?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We sold the TRD Pro when we picked up the GX460. Sliders were Hefty Fab and the rack is a Prinsu.

jadmt

ignore button user
I would hope a new 4runner would be a vast improvement over a 2 door in all but some offroad situations and parallel parking in the city..What dealer? Ressler in bozo?

AV8

I would hope a new 4runner would be a vast improvement over a 2 door in all but some offroad situations and parallel parking in the city..What dealer? Ressler in bozo?
Parking anything in bozo is a challenge. Yes, I had looked at Butte first, but got a much better price at Ressler. Supposed to be delivered next week.

jadmt

ignore button user
Parking anything in bozo is a challenge. Yes, I had looked at Butte first, but got a much better price at Ressler. Supposed to be delivered next week.
Yup my youngest daughter lives in bozo and works down town so we end up down there often.

jhmoore

I’m really torn, since I love the Jeep, but want something a bit more comfortable for my wife on longer road trips.

Love my 2018 4Runner TRDORP, but it is not comfortable for longer road trips. As an example, I recently drove Jackson Hole back to San Diego (1,000 miles) in one day. My ass hurt for several days afterwards. Not kidding. I am hoping to spend a couple months driving San Diego to Alaska and back when/if the state of the world improves and one of the things that I'm seriously thinking about for that trip is replacing the drivers seat with something more comfortable. There are certainly other ways that the 4Runner is more comfortable than a Jeep, but I would not describe the front seats as comfortable for long drives.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Love my 2018 4Runner TRDORP, but it is not comfortable for longer road trips. As an example, I recently drove Jackson Hole back to San Diego (1,000 miles) in one day. My ass hurt for several days afterwards. Not kidding. I am hoping to spend a couple months driving San Diego to Alaska and back when/if the state of the world improves and one of the things that I'm seriously thinking about for that trip is replacing the drivers seat with something more comfortable. There are certainly other ways that the 4Runner is more comfortable than a Jeep, but I would not describe the front seats as comfortable for long drives.

Then don't drive a JKU. lol I just drove mine from Houston to Mobile for work (only like 7-hours) and on these roads, my back is shot. I really wish I would have brought my wife's 4Runner instead. It rides so much nicer.

I'm planning on jumping on the Bilstein train as well here in a month but only the 5100s front and rear. I've heard some back and forth things on the 5160s that make me nervous. Hopefully someone can chime in?

jadmt

ignore button user
Then don't drive a JKU. lol I just drove mine from Houston to Mobile for work (only like 7-hours) and on these roads, my back is shot. I really wish I would have brought my wife's 4Runner instead. It rides so much nicer.

I'm planning on jumping on the Bilstein train as well here in a month but only the 5100s front and rear. I've heard some back and forth things on the 5160s that make me nervous. Hopefully someone can chime in?
I have run several pair of bilstien 5100’s and now run falcon 3.1 and they are worth the money.

AV8

Thanks again for everyone’s input. My new 4Runner arrived and I’ll be picking it up today. The parts for the lift will not arrive until the end of the month. We’ll be leaving on a trip on Wednesday, so I’ll have a chance to drive it on / off road before upgrading the suspension, wheels and tires. I’ll post in the next few days detailing / evaluating the upgrades and comparing the 4Runner to the JK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles