4Runner or JLU

jadmt

ignore button user
Do you really believe this? (Genuinely asking — not meant as disagreement.)

I'm on the hunt for a new rig and have been leaning heavily toward a Toyota (prob a GX470). Somehow, buying one with 150k+ miles on it doesn't bother me, while a Jeep with similar mileage makes me concerned. Is that unwarranted?

Of course, the price difference between the two in the same age range is also huge.

While I myself would not buy any vehicle with 150,000 on it. I would feel better about a GX470 then a JKUR with that kind of miles but if I knew the jkur was well maintained I would be less concerned. If buying new or newer I would not worry about either one.
Thank you all for your input. I’ll be driving both in the next couple weeks. Leaning toward a 4R TRD Off-Road Premium with KDSS.
if you plan on lifting it forego the KDSS. got to a dedicated 4runner forum and bone up on the pros and cons.

AV8

While I myself would not buy any vehicle with 150,000 on it. I would feel better about a GX470 then a JKUR with that kind of miles but if I knew the jkur was well maintained I would be less concerned. If buying new or newer I would not worry about either one.

if you plan on lifting it forego the KDSS. got to a dedicated 4runner forum and bone up on the pros and cons.
I have spent some time on 4Runner specific websites. I plan to put on a small (2-3”) lift and run 275 or 285/70R17 tires. I have no interest in going higher. If I understand correctly, KDSS will be fine with this small lift. If I’m incorrect, please let me know. Thanks

Smileyshaun

Observer
It’s going to come down to personal preference, I do not find the seating position in most all new Toyota’s comfortable at all , I find the seats in a 1st and second gen more comfortable than the newer ones . my fiancé just got a lightly used gx470 and I will admit it is one of the most solidly built , comfortable Rigs I’ve driven in and wouldn’t be worried about driving one with some miles on it the 4.7 Is a amazing motor . Again this may be just me but I love the way a solid axle rig drives over ifs to me if it’s setup right it handles bumps better and offers more control and comfort all day on the trail .

Fishenough

Creeper
Had a 2009 JK set up similar to yours, and it went so many places it shouldn't have it was so crazy capable. But now we have a low mileage Surf, JDM 3rd gen 4Runner, simply because its capable and we can sleep in the vehicle on 6 inch high quality memory foam mattress. That was the main choice for us, we've tried roof top tents over the years and didn't like them for too many reason. Well we drive on many BC abandoned logging roads that will scratch a vehicle, and that having dealt with muddy, dusty rtt on trips. I agree with others, not a fan of current generation 4Runners seating. I did own a 2016 Tacoma for 2 years, but never off roaded it.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

billiebob

Greetings! I’ve visited this website/forum from time to time, but this is my first post and I’m hoping some of you will weigh in with your experience. My wife and I live in S/W Montana. We spend a great deal of time off-road exploring the backcountry, hunting, fishing, etc.. In fact, we live about 5 miles from any asphalt.

Most of our exploring has been in my 2014 Jeep JK 2dr. It has a 2.5” lift, re-geared and trussed axles, 285/75R17 tires, etc. This Jeep, not my first, has been awesome and more than capable for any of the terrain we’ve encountered. However, it is a bit small for the 2 of us, our 2 dogs (45 lb. Healers), and anything beyond a day trip. It’s also not a great platform for trips out of the area. Although I’ve always been a Jeep guy, I’m beginning to appreciate “roughing it” in comfort.

I’m considering a 4Runner TRD. If I go this direction, I intend to install a moderate lift, 275 or 285/70R17 A/T tires, roof top tent, etc. I may do a winch, bumpers, and rear tire carrier, but don’t want to make it too heavy. I’m confident I’d enjoy the on-road performance and ride quality, but how capable are the 4Runners off-road? We don’t rock crawl. Our adventures are about getting out and exploring, not about looking for opportunities to test the vehicles capabilities. Also, if I go with the 4Runner, which package (Off-Road, Pro, Premium) and mods would recommend for our intended purpose.

Thank you in advance. I’ve always been impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness of this forum.
Your use is pretty moderate so there are likely 20 vehicles completely capable for your adventures.

Given you have a JK, you know what the JLU ride will be like. The FourRunner will definitely bring in some luxury. Which model? The only option I recommend is a selectable locker so if one of the FourRunners has that option, I'd go with it. Otherwise from how you describe your wheeling any model will work. Just decide on the luxury etc. They will all be capable. And you can add a locker if you decide too.

billiebob

Don't let "reliability" be your deciding factor here because I don't think there is much of a difference anymore.

This ^^^ smoke and mirrors.

And watch the video in post 11.

phsycle

Adventurer
Couple things:
- Care to give examples or pictures of trails you typically drive? Not sure what to recommend as I don’t know where you ride.
- Size difference between the two isn’t that much and I find the ride difference isn’t that drastic either. I am talking stock vs stock vehicles and the JLU with a hard top.

For me, where I go, I’d get a Wrangler for sure. Plenty capable in stock form, and it comes in a manual! Top down with the kids is nice as well.

That all said, if your trails don’t require the offroad prowess of a Jeep or 4Runner. Really consider a full-size truck. Gigantic rear seat space for the dogs (check out the F150, Tundra and new Ram crew cabs). They’re very capable Off-road for their size, Ford and Ram have rear locker options, and MPG will be as good (if not better) than either options you listed. On road comfort is miles ahead of any midsize. Endless cargo space and configuration as well. Or if you need offroadiness AND space, go Powerwagon!

wild1

Adventurer
Greetings! I’ve visited this website/forum from time to time, but this is my first post and I’m hoping some of you will weigh in with your experience. My wife and I live in S/W Montana. We spend a great deal of time off-road exploring the backcountry, hunting, fishing, etc.. In fact, we live about 5 miles from any asphalt.

Most of our exploring has been in my 2014 Jeep JK 2dr. It has a 2.5” lift, re-geared and trussed axles, 285/75R17 tires, etc. This Jeep, not my first, has been awesome and more than capable for any of the terrain we’ve encountered. However, it is a bit small for the 2 of us, our 2 dogs (45 lb. Healers), and anything beyond a day trip. It’s also not a great platform for trips out of the area. Although I’ve always been a Jeep guy, I’m beginning to appreciate “roughing it” in comfort.

I’m considering a 4Runner TRD. If I go this direction, I intend to install a moderate lift, 275 or 285/70R17 A/T tires, roof top tent, etc. I may do a winch, bumpers, and rear tire carrier, but don’t want to make it too heavy. I’m confident I’d enjoy the on-road performance and ride quality, but how capable are the 4Runners off-road? We don’t rock crawl. Our adventures are about getting out and exploring, not about looking for opportunities to test the vehicles capabilities. Also, if I go with the 4Runner, which package (Off-Road, Pro, Premium) and mods would recommend for our intended purpose.

Thank you in advance. I’ve always been impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness of this forum.
Though I'd give you my two cents since we are both in Montana and seem to use our vehicles in a similar manor. I had a 2015 Trail with kdss for four years and now have a 2019 JLUR. I primarily switched so I could flat tow the rig but I have come to much prefer the Jeep. I really disliked the fact that while the 4-runner had a great base to build on the Rubicon was a 100 percent ready to go to meet my need. I was able to have stout steel bumpers, led lights, front locker, excellent tires plus a multitude of other offroad improvements right from the factory. The JLUR rides better on dirt and gets better mileage then the 4-runner. The onroad honors go to the 4-runner but not by much. The 4-runner feels bigger offroad and on but there really not much difference in what they can carry. I think you could be happy with either but the Jeep can be configured right from the factory to satisfy 100 percent of your needs

Attachments

• IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 28

nomad_games

Thank you all for your input. I’ll be driving both in the next couple weeks. Leaning toward a 4R TRD Off-Road Premium with KDSS.

I can't comment on the jeep other than constantly seeing them broken down on the side of the road, but I have a 2019 TRD ORP with KDSS. it's my second 4runner. I've put 20k miles on it since late November. Have done a bunch of Moab trails, plus the AZBDR and NMBDR. Mine is still stock other than wheels. On road with the KDSS, it's great. night and day compared to other similar body styles and my previous 4runner, especially on the body roll. Off road, the only limit I've run into is clearance height because I'm running stock tire size with no lift. Have yet to find terrain I couldn't get through. Granted, I'm not doing the Rubicon or something, but I've taken it through some gnarly ********, just short of rock crawling. Same thing with my old 4runner, which also had a locker.

don't agree. this isn't an issue unless you plan to go long travel.

AV8

It’s going to come down to personal preference, I do not find the seating position in most all new Toyota’s comfortable at all , I find the seats in a 1st and second gen more comfortable than the newer ones . my fiancé just got a lightly used gx470 and I will admit it is one of the most solidly built , comfortable Rigs I’ve driven in and wouldn’t be worried about driving one with some miles on it the 4.7 Is a amazing motor . Again this may be just me but I love the way a solid axle rig drives over ifs to me if it’s setup right it handles bumps better and offers more control and comfort all day on the trail .
Thank you. I think you’re right, they are both capable vehicles and it is going to come down to an issue of preference.

AV8

Couple things:
- Care to give examples or pictures of trails you typically drive? Not sure what to recommend as I don’t know where you ride.
- Size difference between the two isn’t that much and I find the ride difference isn’t that drastic either. I am talking stock vs stock vehicles and the JLU with a hard top.

For me, where I go, I’d get a Wrangler for sure. Plenty capable in stock form, and it comes in a manual! Top down with the kids is nice as well.

That all said, if your trails don’t require the offroad prowess of a Jeep or 4Runner. Really consider a full-size truck. Gigantic rear seat space for the dogs (check out the F150, Tundra and new Ram crew cabs). They’re very capable Off-road for their size, Ford and Ram have rear locker options, and MPG will be as good (if not better) than either options you listed. On road comfort is miles ahead of any midsize. Endless cargo space and configuration as well. Or if you need offroadiness AND space, go Powerwagon!
Sorry, don’t have any pictures that reflect the trails. I’d estimate about 40 % on pavement, 30 % on fire roads, 15 % on unimproved/abandoned logging roads, and the remainder is on truly challenging trails.

Our other vehicle is a Ram 1500 and it is not appropriate for some of what we have used the Jeep to explore. Recently, a friend in his new Power Wagon was convinced he could follow us to a mountain lake and , unfortunately, ended up with body damage.

I plan to drive both vehicles soon. Sounds like the 4Runner would be capable for all but the most challenging terrain. Thanks for your input.

jadmt

ignore button user
depending on how tall you are the JL lacks head room compared to the jk. If over 6'2" or so it may be an issue.

phsycle

Adventurer
Sorry, don’t have any pictures that reflect the trails. I’d estimate about 40 % on pavement, 30 % on fire roads, 15 % on unimproved/abandoned logging roads, and the remainder is on truly challenging trails.

Our other vehicle is a Ram 1500 and it is not appropriate for some of what we have used the Jeep to explore. Recently, a friend in his new Power Wagon was convinced he could follow us to a mountain lake and , unfortunately, ended up with body damage.

I plan to drive both vehicles soon. Sounds like the 4Runner would be capable for all but the most challenging terrain. Thanks for your input.

Gotcha. Although, if a PW got body damage and it wasn’t driver error, perhaps that tilts the scale to the Jeep with its slightly narrower body, better articulation and offroad manners. Good luck.

AV8

Though I'd give you my two cents since we are both in Montana and seem to use our vehicles in a similar manor. I had a 2015 Trail with kdss for four years and now have a 2019 JLUR. I primarily switched so I could flat tow the rig but I have come to much prefer the Jeep. I really disliked the fact that while the 4-runner had a great base to build on the Rubicon was a 100 percent ready to go to meet my need. I was able to have stout steel bumpers, led lights, front locker, excellent tires plus a multitude of other offroad improvements right from the factory. The JLUR rides better on dirt and gets better mileage then the 4-runner. The onroad honors go to the 4-runner but not by much. The 4-runner feels bigger offroad and on but there really not much difference in what they can carry. I think you could be happy with either but the Jeep can be configured right from the factory to satisfy 100 percent of your needs
Thanks for the input. Looks like 2 great rigs. I’m really torn, since I love the Jeep, but want something a bit more comfortable for my wife on longer road trips. I look forward to driving a JLUR to see how it compares to my lifted JK.

AV8

Gotcha. Although, if a PW got body damage and it wasn’t driver error, perhaps that tilts the scale to the Jeep with its slightly narrower body, better articulation and offroad manners. Good luck.
I think it was a bit of both. Perhaps a bit too much enthusiasm and not enough experience from our friend in the PW. Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles