4Runner or GX470?

razzman1

Observer
So decent, low-mileage 4Runners are pretty expensive in my area, as I'm sure they are everywhere. GX470s, however, seem pretty reasonable, for what they are. With the GX, obviously you get the same running gear as the 4Runner, the V8, and a host of other stuff. If you were shopping for a 4x4 mid sized SUV, that will spend 98% of its time as a DD and pulling kayaks to the lake on the weekends for camping trips, and 2% mild off-roading, which would you prefer? Any future mods would be pretty limited--slightly larger than stock tires and sliders would likely be it. I know it's a Lexus / Toyota, but all of the electrical accessories of the GX scare me (former Grand Cherokee owner, and I'm a little gun-shy of flashy electronic stuff).

Assume that mileage and cost is about the same, and we are comparing an SR5 4Runner to a normally equipped GX470. Which would you get for your family adventure wagon?

scoolbubba

I was recently in the market: either is a great vehicle. I ended up with a 4.7 Sport 4wd just because that's what I came across first at a reasonable price.

The GX doesn't have a back window that rolls down. It rode slightly more plush and had better seats. GXs only come with the v8, so you will have to deal with timing belts. I chose the 4Runner because the dealer gave me another 3k for my trade compared to the lot with the GX.

If it was between the SR5 4.0 and a GX, I'd go with the GX as the mileage difference (17.5 in mine real world) is negligible and it's a bit more comfy. If it's the 4.7 4Runner vs a GX, I'd go with lowest miles/price, as either one is an excellent car. Any electrical gremlins are easy enough to chase down with a dmm and some time on the internet a searching for parts.

Last edited:

razzman1

Observer
Is there a motor preference between the V6 and the V8? Other than a little bit of gas mileage, does the V6 offer anything over the V8? Is one a better engine than the other?

gkcarmory

Observer
Is there a motor preference between the V6 and the V8? Other than a little bit of gas mileage, does the V6 offer anything over the V8? Is one a better engine than the other?

I didn't notice really any change in MPG between my 07 Tacoma and lx470... Just more power and torque and a bigger Fuel tank... And a better smoother ride... If I were looking for a 4Runner it would def be a used V-8... But now I am partial to Lexus Service.. So I would prob end up with the GX.. Just hold out and find the Prefect one... I would even go out on a limb and find one with a 4.7 (I think the GX came with one) and not the 4.6 just for the reliably factor.. The 4.7 is proven....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the kid

Juke Box Hero
i just did this same thing 6 months ago. was looking for a newer family hauler DD/WW. at first i wanted a 100 series LC, but the gas mileage was terrible(^^ if you didnt notice any difference between the 07 taco and your LX470 then either you drove the piss outta the taco or there was something wrong with it. the hundys struggle to get past 14mpg, the 4.0 in either 4runner or taco should be close to 18+) and lifts were well not impressive. so i started looking for a 4th gen 4runner with the 4.7, not only were they hard to find(most who had them didnt want to get rid of them), but the prices they were asking were absurd. i just happened to stumble across the GX, and just glanced them over not even really seriously. the more i looked at them though, the more i liked them and the price was basically the same as the 4th gens, but you get so much more. as far as reliability or the electrical stuff going wrong, dont worry. there is nothing more to go wrong than with a nicely appointed 4runner, and lets face it, toyotas dont really have electrical issues, so put that fear out to pasture, as any failures you would see in a GX you will also see in a 4runner. we ended up with a GX and have never looked back or regretted it. the added head room is very nice. im 6'1" and i have a good 3-4" of head room with the seat in its highest adjustment. personally i think the GX is the better vehicle, it brings more to the table and honestly less options, so finding parts is easier -all GXs had the 4.7 v8, all of them were full time 4wd... about the only options where exterior/interior color, navigation or standard 6disc stereo(this is more desirable IMO) 3rd row seating or not, and KDSS or not. the only two trim levels were base or sport and only subtle changes like interior trim color and wheels were the difference. the 4runner had 2 different motors, 3 different trim packages, 2 or 4wd, or full time 4wd, 16" or 17" wheels, leather or cloth..... dont get me wrong im not saying those are bad, but when it comes time for replacing parts like brakes or other things those come into play and unless you know exactly what you have you could get the wrong parts and have that hassle. so in that aspect the GX is more simplistic, and more user friendly. i mean my wife can get parts for it if i need her to and she doesnt feel overwhelmed at the parts store or dealer. the only draw back to the GX is the suspension, it can be a tad more money to fix or replace if needed, but the good thing is both 4runner and FJCruiser parts will swap right in and are much cheaper! the 4.7l motor while yes having a timing belt as apposed to a chain is not a big deal really. belts have never been a issue in toyota motors, never have i heard of a belt failing on its own without something else causing the damage. its typically the water pump that seizes and snaps the belt, but the water pump almost always has been leaking for quite awhile before the failure and was ignored by the owner/operator. i have head of the 4.7s with over 200k on them and the stock original belt still in the motor. so the argument of chain is better is hogwash, and has no backbone, i can think of 2 or 3 negatives to chains right now so neither one is perfect.

having driven both and ridden in both and worked on both, i again say hands down the GX is the vehicle i would take time and time again. there would have to be a major price difference like $5k or more, or some serious issues with the GX for me to not chose it over a 4runner.

gkcarmory

Observer
No... I drive like a little old granny.. I got roughly 18mph in my taco and I get the same in my LX.. My best MPG in my Tacoma was 28. My best in the LX is 21... But I am also the guy that barely does any freeway driving and avoid traffic like its the plague...

gkcarmory

Observer
Now the 200 series I drive on occasion.. It's a Beast and that gets more like 14mpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
we bought a new 4runner trail instead for us the used price here with mileage we were OK with etc. going to end up being a bit more to go new over the lifetime of the vehicle so after 8 or os years will balance out for us

used market 4runner hold value insanely well so used I might look more at the GX because of that for sure getting a nicer vehicle as far as luxury goes :)
my reasons for not used when I checked on everything
did not want to mess with replacing air suspension and a couple other things on the GX and lack of 3rd party stuff I could replace it with that I know would come up with the GX ? not a bad thing just reality like anything $ to maintain etc..... :) I was looking at rigs with under 80,000 miles mostly
used 4runner the V8 would be my want list but they again hold value even more it seems over the V6

I think for a daily driver one has to get out drive both but the GX is much nicer road manners and would come down to which one you liked most
so my vote for used Lexus
but check out long term and resale in 8 years etc... the new 4 runner for us almost balances out the same :)

razzman1

Observer
I don't typically like to purchase a first model year of anything, but I have found a couple of decent low(ish) mileage 2003 V8 4Runners. Any possible issues with the first year of the Gen 4 4Runner?

Honu

lost on the mainland
not sure if any info here on that ? http://www.toyota-4runner.org
or maybe ih8mud forum ?

when I looked into used nothing stood out but never really dug into that year ?
I don't typically like to purchase a first model year of anything, but I have found a couple of decent low(ish) mileage 2003 V8 4Runners. Any possible issues with the first year of the Gen 4 4Runner?

WhiteH2O

Observer
About a year ago I went through this same dilemma. It came down to the fact that the GX gives you more for (essentially) the same price, so I got a GX.

To do it again, I would wait until I found one that didn't have Nav because that integrates the HVAC controls into the stereo unit making it virtually impossible to upgrade the head unit, but other than that, I'm very happy with my decision. Some aftermarket upgrades have fewer options on the GX than a 4Runner has, but with a bit more research and some creativity, the same end result is possible.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I'd always pick a Toyota 4Runner.

Me too. If it ever came down to a Toyota vs Lexus truck, Toyota every time. Better aftermaket and less electro-bs. I like basic. I wish vehicles still offered crank windows and locking hubs. More systems increase weak points and expense. To me Lexus is just 20 lbs shoved in a 5 lb box. That's just me though.

Last edited:

gkcarmory

Observer
To each is own... I am glad I take my 20lbs to the Lexus dealer and not the Toyota dealer. Worth its weight in gold for the customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior