4runner / LC / Sequoia questions

Mpl1978

I have a bug that must be itched. I am looking for a weekend family hauler, camping build, with long road trip ability for summers. I plan on adding a light build with a roof rack, awning, RTT, and cargo system in back. We are a family of 4. I have test driven and 2010 4runner, 2005 Lx470 (looked at LR4, but I am scared of repair costs). To be honest, the rear legroom seemed to be the same in LC and 4runner. It is very tough to compare a Sequoia since I haven't found one, but the stats suggest it has larger rear leg room. I like that the 4runner and LC have every after market accessory that is plug and play, since I am not a "wrench guy" , I need something like that. For those with families that travel, any issue travelling long term in comfort with 4runner or LC? Should I wait and get a larger Sequoia since I am not going to be doing any technical rock crawling, but sacrifice the plug and play accessories or get the LC and 4runner because the backseat is just fine!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mpl1978

I am looking at an 05' Lexus 470 with 130k miles that upon inspection looked very clean (one owner). The services records tapered off around 2015 however. Not a spec of rust anywhere and engine looked spotless. The leather in front seats was replaced and most items appear to work. That said, the vgrs light came when driving, then turned off......i notices that the steering wheel needed to corrected to the left in order to drive straight. Not being a wrench guy, that concerned me. He told me the they would fix it (nissan dealer)

GTV

Land cruiser is the call for a family of four.

If you value space over capability and durability, get a sequoia

As a Sequoia owner... I agree with this. It is the best bargain for Toyota 4x4’s so if having some $$$ left over in your piggy bank is a concern it is a great choice.

4runnerteq

Explorer
The 470 is due for a timing belt at 90k. If it hasn't been done your looking $1000 to $1500 for timing belt, water pump & drive belts. That's going to be the same for LC in that vintage and the Sequoia. They all run the same engine until you get into an 07 Sequoia, then you get the 5.7 with no timing belt. Steering wheel off center could be something as simple as an alignment. If I remember correctly the 470 has issues with the air ride in the rear. An easy fix, ditch the air bags and go with coil springs. If you do a lift you're going to anyway. If room is more important Id say Sequoia. Reliability is going to be the same among the three, other than the 470 has more electric gadgetry to fail. Personally not a fan of the 470. LC and 4runner is going to have the most aftermarket support. LC is going to be huge in power over the 4runner, but you will pay for it at the pump. Actually that may not be true, our 4.7 4runner gets better mileage pulling the teardrop than our 3rd gen underpowered 4runner. Family travel, Sequoia 07 up will be hard to beat. Im a 4runner guy, but travelling with 4 very often, you and them will be much happier in something bigger I think. And, honestly the 5th gen runner is pretty dang nice, but a slug for power.

JLee

Adventurer
The 470 is due for a timing belt at 90k. If it hasn't been done your looking $1000 to $1500 for timing belt, water pump & drive belts. That's going to be the same for LC in that vintage and the Sequoia. They all run the same engine until you get into an 07 Sequoia, then you get the 5.7 with no timing belt. Steering wheel off center could be something as simple as an alignment. If I remember correctly the 470 has issues with the air ride in the rear. An easy fix, ditch the air bags and go with coil springs. If you do a lift you're going to anyway. If room is more important Id say Sequoia. Reliability is going to be the same among the three, other than the 470 has more electric gadgetry to fail. Personally not a fan of the 470. LC and 4runner is going to have the most aftermarket support. LC is going to be huge in power over the 4runner, but you will pay for it at the pump. Actually that may not be true, our 4.7 4runner gets better mileage pulling the teardrop than our 3rd gen underpowered 4runner. Family travel, Sequoia 07 up will be hard to beat. Im a 4runner guy, but travelling with 4 very often, you and them will be much happier in something bigger I think. And, honestly the 5th gen runner is pretty dang nice, but a slug for power.

The GX470 does not have VGRS - presumably the OP was looking at an LX470. If that is the case, the LX470 does not have air suspension.

Mpl1978

Thanks for the advice, it was an 05’ lx470. Perhaps instead, I should trade my daily driver in for a 16’ plus land cruiser - probably cheaper than carrying two cars, insurance, and repair costs on an older vehicle. In south Florida, the Lexus lx is everywhere but I just don’t like the Lexus badge and prefer the Toyota- despite it being more expensive and hard to find in my area. Im perplexed and my wife may divorce me for looking for cars all day!

JLee

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice, it was an 05’ lx470. Perhaps instead, I should trade my daily driver in for a 16’ plus land cruiser - probably cheaper than carrying two cars, insurance, and repair costs on an older vehicle. In south Florida, the Lexus lx is everywhere but I just don’t like the Lexus badge and prefer the Toyota- despite it being more expensive and hard to find in my area. Im perplexed and my wife may divorce me for looking for cars all day!

Don't let the Lexus badge scare you off. :)

Mpl1978

Well, I the dealer agreed to fix the steering issue. So at 14,900 with one owner and 130k - I am headed over to sign the deal. I am new this, but seems like a fair deal. I'm pumped

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier