4Runner fuel mileage?

MTGunner

MTGunner
I am contemplating either the 4Runner or the FJ Cruiser. My question is what is the reasonable mileage expectation of the 4Runner V6 vs. the V8? MTG

Dalko43

Explorer
You're referring to a 4th gen 4runner correct? The 4th gen 4runner and FJ has pretty much the same 4.0l v6 as the what the 5th gen 4runner has, though the earlier version has somewhat lower horsepower ratings.

In stock form, a 4th gen 4runner with a v6 will get about 21- 22 mpg highway and 16-18 mpg city. You start losing mpg's right away as you add tires, armor, lifts, towing, hauling gear, start going up hills, any kind of extra work really. So those numbers I gave are really for best case scenarios; realistically, you'll see slightly lower mpg's with day-to-day driving conditions.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I have a 2006 V8 4runner that I bought earlier this year. 140k+ when I bought it. It was getting about 16mpg on the freeway and about 12mpg around town. Slightly larger tires, no lift and recently a full length Prinsu rack. After a bunch of needed maintenance the numbers are now 19.9 mpg freeway fully loaded for camping with the fam. About 15-16 in town. This past year I did the TB, ATF exchange, plugs, MAF cleaning etc.

JLee

Adventurer
I have a 2005 GX470 with a lift and 255/75's (tires installed early, lift installed when noted on the spreadsheet). It should be fairly similar to a V8 4Runner. This includes off road, city, and highway:

fHU4hq2.png

thezentree

pretend redneck
I have a 2005 GX470 with a lift and 255/75's (tires installed early, lift installed when noted on the spreadsheet). It should be fairly similar to a V8 4Runner. This includes off road, city, and highway:

fHU4hq2.png

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, haha.

Mine's a 3rd gen so my data probably won't really apply.

Sierra Delta

I have a 2006 6 cyl. 4Runner and I just did Mojave Road with my father-in-law and his FJC. Just an aside, but the FJC only has an 18 Gallon tank and the 4Runner has a 21 Gallon tank. Another thing to consider. . .
I believe mileage is about the same between the two though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior