4runner electric locker question ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Is the little dash button with turned front wheels and straight back wheels Toyota's e-locker button?

I looked at a 4Runner today and this model had it (2001 SR5) and I'm pretty sure it is the locker but wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott Brady

Founder
The diff lock button should be to the left of the steering wheel. If it is on the center stack, the button is likely a CDL switch.

jeffryscott

Thanks, gonna go look at the truck some more. Cross your fingers I can make the deal work ...

Bergger

Explorer
The locker button on my Tacoma simply said "RR DIFF LOCK." I believe that is how the factory switch should look. My 02 4Runner had a center diff lock and it looked more like the switch you described. I would look at the factory manual and it should be able to tell if it is a rear locker or a center diff lock. However I am fairly certain that 2000 was the last year you could get the rear locker as an option in the 4Runner. My gut is that it is a center diff lock and not a rear locker.

jeffryscott

diff lock indeed.

In my Rover, the diff lock allocated 50/50 front and back, is the Toyota diff lock the same?

Thanks,

jeff

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Rr Diff Lock

jeffryscott said:
Is the little dash button with turned front wheels and straight back wheels Toyota's e-locker button?

I looked at a 4Runner today and this model had it (2001 SR5) and I'm pretty sure it is the locker but wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Jeff

For my Tacoma this is what they look like:

Dash Indicator Light
186896306nDdQra_ph.jpg

Switch
186896216uDQmiB_ph.jpg

Cheers :beer:,
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Switch or light?

eurorom said:
In theRunner looks different.

What is different? The switch or the dash indicator light? This switch is actually out of a 1997 4Runner.

P

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
What is different? The switch or the dash indicator light? This switch is actually out of a 1997 4Runner.

P

I think the one on the top instrument panel, should be on the right side!

Bergger

Explorer
p1michaud said:

P

I don't believe there is any difference between the 4Runner and Tacoma rear diff lindicator ight or switches. They should also be mounted in the same locations, to the left of the steering wheel. The switch Jeff is describing is the center diff lock. Not the same as the rear diff lock. If he is looking at a 2001 4Runner it won't have a factory rear diff, unless installed after market. 2000 was the last year Toyota offered it as an option. However the 2001 4Runner is still a very capable trail rig. I used to have an 02 and it did very well.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Nope, that's not for a rear E-Locker. The '01 4Runners are not equipped with front or rear lockers from the factory. That switch is for the center diff. I think the switch you're referring to is in the upper right corner:
Switches.jpg

"For 2001, a center differential lock switch has been provided on the instrument panel so that the locking and unlocking of the center differential can be controlled by the push of a button. This allows the driver to make the choice of positively locking both rear wheels and one of the fronts together, meaning at least three tires will be clawing their way through muck or slush."

jeffryscott said:

Thanks,

Jeff

Ric

Adventurer
if it has already been made clear:
the GREEN light of the turned front wheels, = 4Wheel Drive is engaged.
the oranage RR DIFF LOCK light, when solid = locker is engaged
when blinking = locker is NOT engaged.

Howard70

Adventurer
Another Electric Locker Question

Hello:

When disconnecting the electronic locker in my 2004 Tacoma (to remove the rear axle), I encountered two electric connections and one hollow black line that appears to be an air hose. It terminates in the left frame rail, behind the gas tank. Is this a breather line? If so, should it be extended higher if I want to be prepared for water crossings?

Thanks,

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles