4Runner Cargo Hitch Carrier

DR BrianO

My family purchased a 2018 4Runner SR5 about a year ago and planning a 12 day road trip next summer. We are needing some options for bringing more gear (cooler/camping gear) with us than the cargo area will allow (dog takes up half it). We like the idea of a cargo hitch carrier, but they seem to range anywhere from $50 Harbor Freight to $1000 Pakmule.

Anyone have any experiences good or bad with these? We are not looking for a roof rack at this time.

TIA

phsycle

Adventurer
I’d personally get a simple roof rack or even a roof bag, but if you do get a hitch rack, any of those will do. I’d probably go HF.
They can be annoying, as you’d have to unload if you needed to access the rear door. You could roll down your window to grab things so if that works, then you’re good. Also, backup cam will be covered as well.

Jamccain

Pros and cons of the hitch or roof. I have both. If you're going with the hitch, my recommendation is to go with what's cheap as the functionality is going to be basically the same on all of them. If it fades or chips the paint you're going to rattle can it anyway. I have used a hitch carrier off road even and never had an issue on the trails I was on, although on some trails it would really be an issue. Worst case you take it off go through an obstacle, carry your stuff by hand through the obstacle and reattach. A pain in the butt for sure. Also, like was mentioned if you pile stuff to high on it you'll have to take it off to open the back door. Maybe you can roll down the back window to get what you need.

One thing to watch for, I had some wood pile up on it one time and not in a box, that was dumb. although strapped down tight it wiggled around and ended up scratching the bumper up pretty good.

DR BrianO

Thank you for the feed back; I think I will go the Harbor Freight route and do some welding on it to strengthen it up.

DR BrianO

The Harbor Freight hitch carrier worked out- I got it on sale for $62 with tax. Added some expanded metal to the bottom and a fresh coat of paint.

Attachments

• Hitch 1.jpg
    Hitch 1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Hitch 2.jpg
    Hitch 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 34

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have a nice Draw-Tite one I found on CraigsList years ago. It is very robust, and has these nice rails around it to help secure the load. It is somewhat adjustable, and sits higher than the hitch which is nice. I've had a few cheap ones, and found them to be just that, cheap and flimsy.

The biggest issue I have with cargo on the hitch is lack of easy access to the back of the FJ. I use it primarily for camping and remove it when I get there. For road trips I leave it at home and rely on the roof rack.

jwiereng

Similar idea, but is there anyone who has or made a cargo carrier that attaches to the 4Runner on two points? Rather that the trailer hitch alone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier