4Door Bronco build

big a

Adventurer
Thx for continuing to update this thread! It's really lookin great! I'm lookin forward to seeing that hood on it!
-Andy

patl

Adventurer
Me too Andy- the clock is ticking on the Super Celebration. Tom Broberg called yesterday about a second article on the 4 door in Bronco Driver and I'll probably be writing an article about this build for the next issue, if I can get it done in time.

patl

Adventurer
Good day if somewhat frustrating. Everything is done underneath. Toe in set, trac bar adjusted, and drag link will hopefully be set tomorrow when the column goes in. Had a nice Connex CB but can't quite get it to fit in the overhead roll bar because of the side mount mike. Oh well, have an old Cobra 29 tuned and peeked ready to go in.

Sway bar hit the Duff hoops, which it doesn't do on my '76. Took a little persuading, but we finally got it bent to fit. Seems these hoops were bent by a different vendor. Their current ones don't have this problem.

patl

Adventurer
Hey Brett- no one knows better than Thomas how much work is left to do. This is not the only project scheduled to be completed by then. Gonna be a lot of late nights and weekends from here on out.

A huge step forward was made today as the top finally went on. Took a little trimming here and there, but it looks like a good fit. One major hurdle which has been going on for over a year.

Top going on 004.JPG

Top going on 006.JPG

Steering column is also in including lower shaft.

Top going on 002.JPG

Tomorrow hinges go on and doors will be hung for first fit. Of all the challenges so far, this is by far the most difficult. Once they are hanging and swinging true every thing else is downhill from here.

patl

Adventurer
For those who have been waiting along with us for this day, it has finally come! Doors and fenders are being fitted. Still a lot of work to do, since there are twice as many doors and a top to line up, but first fit isn't as bad as we thought it might be. Still, with Thomas being the perfectionist that he is, nothing will be considered done until it is perfect. Had it there before paint, we should be able to get it there again.

Doors and fenders going on 007.JPG

Doors and fenders going on 001.JPG

Last edited:

patl

Adventurer
Thank you sir.
Good day today. Alignment going well. A couple of small trims on the top and it's looking good. Doors are getting close to being the way they need to be. Overall going better than we expected.

Slider adjustment 005.JPG

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
My most favorite build here on the portal.

But I have question. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know, hence the question. The rear shocks appear to set further apart at the bottom verses the top, does that matter?

patl

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Good to hear from the land down under, also.

The way the added shock tab is welded on clocks it in a position where the shocks are not completely parallel. My '76 looks the same. Has no impact on function. Wild Horses has or had a kit that put the shocks in a more vertical position, but required a section of the floor to be cut and a panel welded into the rear floor alongside the wheel house. Too invasive for me, and also reduced an already small rear floor area. This setup seems to work good, as I've been running it on the other Bronco for about 6 years. Helps a little with axle wrap as well.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Good to hear from the land down under, also.

The way the added shock tab is welded on clocks it in a position where the shocks are not completely parallel. My '76 looks the same. Has no impact on function. Wild Horses has or had a kit that put the shocks in a more vertical position, but required a section of the floor to be cut and a panel welded into the rear floor alongside the wheel house. Too invasive for me, and also reduced an already small rear floor area. This setup seems to work good, as I've been running it on the other Bronco for about 6 years. Helps a little with axle wrap as well.

This build is so fun to watch...any idea what you're going to do about wheels/tires? You may have said before, but I wasn't sure.

patl

Adventurer
A picture of a tire and wheel is on page 14 of this thread. They are Fuel 17" wheels with 37"x 12.5" Cooper ST Maxx tires. The one on the right . It was shown beside the 35" tires on "Black Pearl".

Making progress today, although it doesn't seem like it. The top is bolted down and door fit is almost done except for a few details. Some small mods will have to be done to the top for rear door fit, so it looks like I may be painting it to match the cosmic quartz paint on the other parts. Oh well, at least it's strong enough to add a rack. Eventually there will be a lockable rear cover on the back end.

patl

Adventurer
Doors are good everywhere but one place. The rear doors where they fit the top have a little challenge. The driver's door is too tight and the passenger's door has about 3/8" too much gap. So, top is being modified to fit and will now have to be painted to match the rest of the "cosmic quartz" color. Thomas never liked the gelcoat, anyway. I think he is happy it's going to be painted.

005.JPG

Top cut back at rear of driver's door.

019.JPG

Top stretched on passenger side.

009.JPG

This showed up at the shop today. It's was built by AEV for BF Goodrich's launch of their new All Terrain KO2. Nice build. Tooling around the Knoxville area for a couple days before heading to Atlanta on Friday and heard about Thomas' shop, so he stopped by to check it out.

patl

Adventurer
Been a busy week. Many things accomplished although it doesn't seem like it. Terrance came out and did a basic cut and buff on a few areas so that we could go ahead and install side markers, headlights, and flares. Flares will go on tomorrow.

003.JPG

He is a master detailer and I'm lucky to have him working on this project. He has high end customers who fly him all over the country to work on their vehicles.

007.JPG

Headlights are the H4 upgrade.

005.JPG

Door handles are powder coated black.
The top is being painted and should be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. Electric window kits are installed in the rear doors. Finally starting to look like a real Bronco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles