4Door Bronco build

big a

Adventurer
I've been wondering how it was going! Well, that's not to bad if this is the worst of it after a brand new custom build!

-Andy

patl

Adventurer
Hey Andy,
Yeah, it's been pretty good except for this heating issue at idle. Windsors tend to have this challenge anyway and newer engines run hotter than what I m used to. Anytime it gets over 210 I start getting nervous. From what the posts on classic show Vintage Air condensers could be part of the problem. Got about 5000 miles on her now and everything else seems to be working well.

Outback

Explorer
I've been looking at Broncos now for about a year. The few up here in Alaska have been absolutely beat on hard. Yesterday I was in Barnes and Nobles and there was this nice 4 door bronco on the cover of Bronco Drivers Magazine. First time I saw the Mag. Its sitting next to me now. Guess I need to subscribe. Nice way to stay focused on the build you always wanted.

big a

Adventurer
Hey Andy,
Yeah, it's been pretty good except for this heating issue at idle. Windsors tend to have this challenge anyway and newer engines run hotter than what I m used to. Anytime it gets over 210 I start getting nervous. From what the posts on classic show Vintage Air condensers could be part of the problem. Got about 5000 miles on her now and everything else seems to be working well.

That's good to know about the condenser! That'll give me a place to start if I run into any overheating problems. Haha, I can understand getting nervous about something after spending all your time and energy on your project! One of these days I'll be done with mine and hopefully get to see this rig in person at a Bronco event!

-Andy

patl

Adventurer
Good news for your build Andy is the 4bt has the opposite problem. Talked to a friend of mine yesterday who has been running one in a '79 F250 for over 6 years, and he is running a small radiator that still needs to have cardboard in front during the winter to get enough heat to defrost the glass. Has never run a fan, even in the summer!

big a

Adventurer
Well, that's what I've heard as well :) I have a stock aluminum radiator from TBP's. My buddy has a bronco ii with a 4bt that we took on a fly fishing trip this wknd to Broken Bow, OK. It did real well, but as soon as we consistently drove above 2000 rpm, the temp would climb. It never got above 205, but it's not 100 degrees yet and we weren't running the a/c as it's not hooked up yet. I do remember my 2002 dodge cummins wouldn't come up to operating temp w/o a load being put on it at all! I will have an intercooler and condensor in front of the radiator as well.

Does your friend run an intercooler and a/c?

Thx,

Andy

patl

Adventurer
Greetings Outback,
Thanks for the comments. Don't give up your search. Somewhere there is a Bronco waiting to be discovered and taken home to be rebuilt and appreciated for another 40-50 years. Although fewer and further between, they still pop up now and then. Thomas was in O"Reillys a couple months ago and an old feller saw the Bronco he had just driven up in and asked if he was interested in buying another one. Turned out to be an original owner '74 in very nice shape- original paint with normal wear and zero rust issues. Drove it home and resold it 2 weeks later to a guy who had a few upgrades added and is now being driven on a regular basis until Thomas can fit him in for a full restoration.

patl

Adventurer
Intercooler and Ac both. I had a '77 F250 crewcab with a 6bt I traded to Thomas for part of the labor on the 4 door, and drove it for 2 years thinking my heat gauge was broken. Then one summer day after running it pretty hard I saw the gauge move up to 180. Has a Superduty intercooler with no AC and ZF 6spd which cools through the radiator. He drove it to Virginia this winter pulling a 20' trailer running 75-80mph and it never got above 195.

patl

Adventurer
Challenges with the clutch. Origianal ZF5 was a smallblock version from behind the engine in my 4dr. I am not 100% sure, but it seems there are some issues with starter on the Destroked adapter they had bought. So now I believe Rick is looking for a ZF5 from a 7.3 so they can use his adapter and upgrade to the 13" clutch setup. Better trans for a Cummins anyway with the close ratio gear set. If you know of any in your area let us know.

big a

Adventurer
I'll keep my eyes open brother!

That's why I went with the nv4500 set up. I didn't have to chase any parts. I got everything off of a '99 Dodge 3500 (adapter, flywheel, starter, tranny). With the engine offset 1" towards the passenger side just like the stock 289/302, the factory dodge cummins starter fits perfectly as it's on the driver's side.

I do know of people with the diesel ZF 5 that love them! And, they are much lighter as well!

My buddy is running an M5R2/NP205 with 3.27 gears and 33's. I don't know how it'll hold up long term, but it is very streetable and super fun to drive!

-Andy

patl

Adventurer
Fan shroud redone to make full loop around fan.

Explorer upgrade 002.JPG

Explorer upgrade 004.JPG

Modified Explorer bracket with new brackets ready for installation.

Explorer upgrade 005.JPG

11 blade fan. Should move plenty of air at low speed and idle. Can put my hand between radiator and fan once everything is in place- plenty of clearance. Monday should have us back on the road.

big a

Adventurer
That's some very nice workmanship!!!!

And, great timing as spring is here and summer is right around the corner! Just in time for some travelling!!!!

-Andy

icandoallthings

sorry I'm getting to the party late on this. I'm just now in the market for a bronco and this build adventure was well documented here and I really appreciate that. I have seen the Krawler's Edge bronco pictures online and their website and now it's amazing to read and see the story. I'm sure it's well worth the price tag they're asking for the work. With the 30" stretch, did you only add it in the middle section where the rear seat is or did you add any inches in other areas as well? As I don't have a frame in front of me (yet hopefully) but did you have to do any other cross bracing in the frame to support the extra length? Do you have any pictures of the junction points on the frame?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier