4Door Bronco build

patl

Adventurer
Long week with not a lot to show because of tedious wiring running underneath for the switches, radio, and rear door electric windows. Everything is finally in place and should be completed this week. Then the doors and fenders will be fitted.

007.JPG

Tunnel cover for shifter coming together.

patl

Adventurer
Haven't been able to report much progress in the last 3 weeks due to the ice and snow situation here in East Tennessee. Today is the first mail delivery received in almost 2 weeks. I was only able to get out one day week before last and a couple days this past week due to the ice on the hill where I live. Finally we are making some progress again. The new tilt column came in and will be installed as soon as some minor adjustments are completed on the ignition switch. Seems the aftermarket plugs don't fit well with the old switch and need some modification to allow the key to return to the on position.

Tilt column 001.JPG

Also had issues with the paint for the shifter cover where the switches will go. Wasn't drying right and had to be redone. Should have them installed tomorrow.

patl

Adventurer
Shifter cover completed. Ordered a vinyl twin stick boot from Low Range 4x4 designed for a Samurai. Should complete the tunnel covers.

Cover done 005.JPG

Still have a little work on the ignition switch, then the column will go in.

big a

Adventurer
Looking good!!! I really like that tunnel cover!

Yeah, all that ice and snow has been a bummer!

Thx for the updates!

-Andy

patl

Adventurer
It's finally come time to get this thing on the rack and complete a few items easier done in the air. The drive shafts are in, E-brake cables run, and the mounts for the air tank were bent and welded to the frame. Tomorrow the front steering linkage with a tie-rod over set up will be installed. Front bump stops and sway bar will also go on.

005.JPG

001.JPG

Started on engineering brackets for a front bumper, but still not 100% sure how we're going to build it.

patl

Adventurer
Another busy day on the rack. Discovered my wheels with 4.5" backspacing won't work with the '76 style knuckle, so switched them out for a set of Duff hybrid knuckles. These are designed by James himself because of this very problem with wider wheels. The '75 style arm which turns in more is matched to the later style spindle so the Ford brake system can be used, making it easier to find parts. It is a heavy duty casting designed to be stronger than the original Ford parts. A slight issue showed up with the drag link, but I'm meeting Jim at his shop in the morning to try and figure it out. The air tank is mounted and almost completed being hooked up. Sway bar is in place and will be completed when the wheels are back on the ground. Getting closer to that day when the doors and fenders will start being fitted.

Sway bar 002.JPG

Sway bar 004.JPG

Sway bar 005.JPG

patl

Adventurer
Thanks- Didn't know if it would be out of the way enough since the rockers are cut, but it looks ok.

Making steady progress- brakes and clutch bled and topped off. A little issue with the clutch peddle as I forgot to cut off a bracket which is in the way when doing a hydraulic conversion. Wasn't any fun up under the dash having to remove, modify, and replace. Sorry Jeff. Diffs are filled up and vent lines run up to a high location where water can't get in. A custom breather for the fuel tank was also built from a fuel filter using charcoal as a scrubber to keep fumes down. Slick.

Wiring is being completed running to the switches by the trans. Back up and brake light switches are wired in. Still haven't decided on the steering yet, but will probably go with a heim setup. Getting close to the last big step which is fitting the doors, fenders, and top.

patl

Adventurer
Decision made to go with Duff's heim joint steering. Took the tie rod steering setup back and they gave me full credit even though it was bought in January of last year! Not even a restock fee. Thanks Suzie and the guys at Duff's for a great product and excellent customer service.

heim setup.jpg

This is a picture from their website. I'll have pictures of mine with steering stabilizer installed tomorrow. Should give much better articulation and zero bump steer with this setup. A few minor things to finish tomorrow and the Bronco should be ready to come off the rack.

patl

Adventurer
Steering is in. As you can see there is perfect alignment between the trac bar and drag link which means this ride should have zero bump steer. By raising the trac bar on the passenger side and not using a drop bracket on the driver's side alignment is much better.

Steering 003.JPG

Console is bolted in and holes and grommets are in place to run wires for stereo, speakers, and electric rear window.

patl

Adventurer
Not exactly sure until it's sitting back on the ground with correct tires. I have this same basic setup on the '76 with a slightly heavier spring and I can run 36" TSL's with no problems. At this point the 16" travel shock is showing about 11" of shaft. We'll have to pick up one side with the forklift to get an idea of how much it will compress. Have never had to run a front bump stop yet, but I have them if it looks like they will be needed.

Dang! She's looking good neighbor. I gotta get out and see it again one afternoon. BTW did you leave something on the front of my Jeep a couple weeks back? It's a mystery.

patl

Adventurer
Hey Buddy- Yeah, thought you might could use those items as I was cleaning out the back room. Knocked on the basement door, but no answer, so I left them on your Jeep.

Wiring is moving in to the last stage. Center console is mounted and wires run for stereo, speakers, and switch for rear door electric windows.

Wiring almost done 004.JPG

May finally be ready to come off the rack tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles