4Door Bronco build

patl

Adventurer
The problem with any mirror installed on a Bronco windshield is that it was never done from the factory, and since Jeeps did use them on models without doors or lift off doors, any type of mirror no matter what the size or shape is considered to be a "Jeep" setup. Early FJ's also had them and one early Bronco had a version that was attached to the fender. Even if I design and build my own with a shape different than the others it will still be considered a Jeep mirror. So far we will leave it as an "Engineering Dispute" and as we get closer to getting it completed maybe we will have some time to design and build something more exclusive that can be called a "Bronco" mirror.

In the meantime, we had everything together for the engine to crank today, but the starter wouldn't engage. Guess the bendix got stuck from sitting so long. Monday we'll get the high torque starter fixed and try again. As soon as the engine fires and the wiring is checked out the dash can be installed and things will begin to pick up speed.

patl

Adventurer
The day we've been waiting for has finally arrived. Got the starter fixed and re-installed and fired up the motor. Turned it over without the coil wire until the oil pressure got up above 40psi and then hooked it up and there she was. Noisy with nothing but the short headers, but it ran well. Only fired it a few times to check the wiring and everything looks good. Now we can tie off the wiring behind the dash and sometime in the next day or two it should be installed. Can't wait. Pulling measurements in the morning for the drive shafts and getting them ordered. Clean and dress the engine is next so we can begin to fit doors, fenders, grill, and hood.
Will have pictures as soon as the dash is put in.

big a

Adventurer
Way cool my friend!!! Congrats!!! I've finally got quotes to build a shop, so hopefully soon I'll get to get back to work on mine!

patl

Adventurer
Dash is going in finally after a long week of trying to wire in an intermittent wiper switch from a 79 ford truck. No problem with a factory harness, but the newer Centech harness was not wired the same. Found a schematic online and Thomas finally got it figured out. Worth the wait in the long run. Anyway, here it is.

Dash going in 4.jpg

Dash going in.jpg

Now just have to get the harness tucked in and the AC hoses attached and finish bolting it in. The cage comes next, then seats and it will all begin to look like something. New tilt column from Ididit on its way. Ritchie got the shifter cover (switch panel) painted and it's looking good. More pictures tomorrow if I can find my camera.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Awesome, that panel made me want to yell "CLEAR!" out the window and get ready for take-off. :)

patl

Adventurer
Got the cage in today. The halfcab bulkhead has been fitted and is being sprayed with bedliner, as well as the inside of the tailgate. Should get all this installed in the next couple of days.

010.JPG

012.JPG

The tunnel shifter cover is painted and ready to start installing the switches and lines for the air gauge.

008.JPG

It will be a year the first of March since we first began work on this project. A lot of hours have gone into the build, but it looks like it will finally be completed in the next couple of months. I'm ready to see it done.

patl

Adventurer
Thanks Andy. Wish you could be at the SuperCel. Wouldn't be surprised to see over 300 Early Broncos there if the chatter on Classic is any indication. Hotels are already selling out.

big a

Adventurer
Wow, that'd b awesome! Someday sooner than later! I finally close on the loan to have my shop built this Friday! My buddy is growing impatient with me as we've got nearly all the bugs worked out of his diesel swap and mine is just sitting waiting for his new home. Soon though my friend, soon :)

patl

Adventurer
Bulkhead going in today. Then the rear seat. Should start to come together now that things are being bolted in for the last time.

Last edited:

patl

Adventurer
Thanks Andy. Another great idea from the mind of Kincer. Thomas is always coming up with out of the box thinking. Makes for some challenging, but interesting days around here.

patl

Adventurer
Seats and seat belts.

004.JPG

Switch for rear electric windows in center console.

005.JPG

Monday we'll start wiring the switches going in the shift cover, and the steering column. Then tidy up a few little things under the dash, and this part of the build will be complete. That's when the real challenge will begin- fitting the doors, fenders, and grill. Six months ago everything fit perfect. I hope it still does.

Thomas plans to have the other 4 door ready for paint in a couple of months. Work has already begun on the rear 4 link and fitting the 4bt Cummins. This Bronco will have one of his custom tube frames with a sophisticated air suspension controlled by a computer. Should be real state of the art. He plans to debut it at the show as well. Going to be some long days around here for the next couple of months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne