4d34 turbo advice needed

yabanja

Explorer
Hey Everyone!

How about digging up a dead thread!!!

I just spent a splendid month off road in Fido in Southern Utah with several earthcruisers. A good time was had by all. Towards the end of the trip, I started noticing a bell ringing noise just off idle when cold. Pulled the charge tube and sure enough the turbo impeller has a ton of lateral play and is striking the sides of the housing. Luckily it held together enough to get me home as I was concerned about a oil seal failure and runaway engine.

Finally the OE turbo is gone which means I can justify some modifications! Of course I dug back through this thread but was wondering if anyone has any further insight on Turbo Sizing for the 4D34 3.9 liter.

My goal is to achieve stock or slightly higher power while having a much wider power band and perhaps increased efficiency while retaining absolute reliability. I am in agreement that the stock turbo is far too large as the engine is really peaky with not enough low end power.

It seems the Bolt pattern of the OE turbo/Maniflold is proprietary so a new manifold will be in order. Does anyone know if the Kinugawa manifold switches the pattern to a more common one? In my mind I would ideally buy one of their manifolds and a genuine garrett ball bearing turbo.

I am packing the truck into storage in Salt Lake and returning to Perth so I have a whole year to think about how to proceed. Maybe I can even source my parts there and bring them back as there is bugger all available for these trucks stateside.

Would it be recommended that I bring my ECU in my luggage to reprogram in Aus?

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If I remember correctly, the ECU in your model does little to nothing that is engine related.
It's only the engines with common rail that you can do a power remap of the ECU.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Hey Everyone!

How about digging up a dead thread!!!

I just spent a splendid month off road in Fido in Southern Utah with several earthcruisers. A good time was had by all. Towards the end of the trip, I started noticing a bell ringing noise just off idle when cold. Pulled the charge tube and sure enough the turbo impeller has a ton of lateral play and is striking the sides of the housing. Luckily it held together enough to get me home as I was concerned about a oil seal failure and runaway engine.

Finally the OE turbo is gone which means I can justify some modifications! Of course I dug back through this thread but was wondering if anyone has any further insight on Turbo Sizing for the 4D34 3.9 liter.

My goal is to achieve stock or slightly higher power while having a much wider power band and perhaps increased efficiency while retaining absolute reliability. I am in agreement that the stock turbo is far too large as the engine is really peaky with not enough low end power.

It seems the Bolt pattern of the OE turbo/Maniflold is proprietary so a new manifold will be in order. Does anyone know if the Kinugawa manifold switches the pattern to a more common one? In my mind I would ideally buy one of their manifolds and a genuine garrett ball bearing turbo.

I am packing the truck into storage in Salt Lake and returning to Perth so I have a whole year to think about how to proceed. Maybe I can even source my parts there and bring them back as there is bugger all available for these trucks stateside.

Allan
As I recall, your truck doesn't have a lot of miles on it. I'm surprised the turbo has problems. I believe the turbo on our 99FG is original and still functioning at 230k miles. I agree with SkiFreak, nothing can be done with the ECU on the 4d34t since it only controls a few things like the accelerator position and something else. I am very curious as to whether a different turbo produces a noticeable power change. I know some people have swapped the 4d34t into 80 series land cruisers in the USA. Might be worth checking on IH8MUD to see if anyone there has turbo insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles