4D34 3AT3B Motor

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
took 3 1/2 days. All good. Engine from FE. Swap sump, move oil level check switch not in replacement engine (needed sump off), swap engine mounts, swap flywheel (no vibrations, phew) and needed spigot bearing holder off old engine. Install clutch kit. Turbo on replacement had evidence of oil leak and inlet blades a bit dirty so use old turbo. A couple of bolts into the cast iron manifold stuck, so swap manifold. Which got us back to removing manifold from old engine (plan A was to take the head off at roadside until I saw the condition of the manifold bolts). Awkward access to split nuts. I bought a head gasket set for plan A which had exhaust manifold gaskets and a couple of seals. Old engine left for scrap. I'll carry the new turbo home.

The replacement engine sounds and feels "more solid" and "tighter". No extra power of course, but I didn't expect any.

I may save the Rosa Bus 6-speed for another day ..... :)

More importantly, we are mobile again. Another night in van park then stock up with food and set off deeper into the Kimberley again. A bit like playing snakes and ladders. ! :)

We've lost a month (from 21st June to 21st July), are booked into Bungles on 6th August and have a date in Ceduna early September, so a bit of rescheduling. Consdering where we were I think a month is reasonable. Could have been quicker of course, but hindsight is always wonderful.
Great news your back on the road again. Safe travels. We are off to the west coast on a week or so, so will keep my eyes open for you near Ceduna. Cheers
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier