$46,000 Dollar Overland Trailer?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you make big money and want to take your kid out camping throw a sleeping bag and some pots and pans in the back of your Rover or Bentley and let the kid learn about camping not gadgets.
Just fyi 250k yr is average income in my hood. The folks making 300-600k yr typically do tent camping out of the beater mini van or beater SUV. A very very rare few have bought used small travel trailers or tired Roadtreks that see maybe a week use out of the yr. Its very uncool and not attractive to drive expensive blingy vehicles to places where $18,000 yr is doing good. My 2019 Expedition is way way way more look at me than I like. My old Sequoia was far better under the “I have money” radar and I liked that.

Most!! Rent and fly to destinations. Time to them is rare and extremely valuable.
Most have a toy car / hobby fun weekend car.

600k-1+million yr those families rent. They do the rockstar thing. Show up and its all setup. Some even fly private.

Thats why high end RV / camping stuff is such a tiny micro market.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
That being said, how much time do you have invested in your 10k trailer. Multiply those hours by your wage, how much is that 10k trailer at now? Then as a business, add in shop overhead, equipment overhead, materials overhead, oh yeah, and you need to pay your workers overhead. That's how a 10k trailer ends up costing $46k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep. Cant argue that. The Carbon Fiber front tongue box I made would cost as much as the entire trailer if I paid myself for the labor. In reality that is exactly why I went this route. There is truly a trailer for each idea and budget. People think I'm nuts when I tell them what it would cost for a carbon fiber project.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Yep. Cant argue that. The Carbon Fiber front tongue box I made would cost as much as the entire trailer if I paid myself for the labor. In reality that is exactly why I went this route. There is truly a trailer for each idea and budget. People think I'm nuts when I tell them what it would cost for a carbon fiber project.

The tooling alone to mass profile carbon fiber products is insanely expensive. That’s why most CF manufacturers hand lay their carbon, and it’s still expensive even though the cost has dropped recently.

The fiber and epoxy alone really isn’t that expensive but it’s just so nice to have such a light material reaching tensile strengths of 500ksi that I’m willing to pay the premium for CF.

I must admit though that I’m also appalled at the high end CF bike builds too though. Especially when the frame is the same on a $4k bike vs a $10k bike.

And the same holds true that a $10k bike isn’t twice as good as a $5k bike. Hell it’s probably not even 30% better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
The tooling alone to mass profile carbon fiber products is insanely expensive. That’s why most CF manufacturers hand lay their carbon, and it’s still expensive even though the cost has dropped recently.

The fiber and epoxy alone really isn’t that expensive but it’s just so nice to have such a light material reaching tensile strengths of 500ksi that I’m willing to pay the premium for CF.

I must admit though that I’m also appalled at the high end CF bike builds too though. Especially when the frame is the same on a $4k bike vs a $10k bike.

And the same holds true that a $10k bike isn’t twice as good as a $5k bike. Hell it’s probably not even 30% better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah..... I would have loved to buy the panels if they were affordable. Just made them myself.
Lots of work...ha.
Yeppers.... mountain bike frames are stoopid expensive as well.
Why I'm still on my 12 yr old 29'er.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne