.450 Rigby

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
So now that my three sons are getting a little older (early teens) I am planning to get back into more serious hunting of larger game. I think it's a great way to teach the circle of life and a deep respect for the animals that we feed upon, to my kids. And organic meat is expensive.

Currently I have a .308 and 30-06 for deer and moose respectively.

As we are finding it harder and harder to find Moose at the lower latitudes (the last three years we have been skunked around Prince George which used to be Moose central when I was a kid) I am thinking of extended trips further north, mostly into the region around the Hyland and Little Hyland Rivers, (specifically the area north of Hyland River Park) since those rivers were named for my Grandfather and my father, and I want my kids to feel a stronger connection to that region.

As we get further north, the Grizzly's start getting thicker, and I'd like a very heavy game rifle. I know the 30-06 will be adequate, as would the 308 really, but since I want the boys to be hunting with those, I will be getting something different for myself anyways, and thought, "what the heck, I've always loved the big Rigby's".

So OK, I've established no real "need" for it, now we are talking about wants.

Never having shot the Rigby, just lusted from afar, I am wondering if anyone has any feedback or input.

My head tells me to look at the Ruger .458 Lott, but my heart keeps pointing me at the Rigby, and my heart is responsible for the 1954 Land Rover that the boys and I are rebuilding right now as well...

robert

Expedition Leader
Are you going to reload? It's one of those calibers that falls into the "very expensive to shoot" category.

I've never shot the .450 but I have shot a .416 Rigby. My best friend was given his father-in-law's gun, several boxes of ammo for it and reloading dies. I know that his FIL used it in Alaska and Africa and that he took several large and dangerous animals with it over the years including a couple of bears so I can't imagine the .450 Rigby not doing well. I've shot it twice; it was cool but not something I'd want to shot more than a handful of times.

The Marlin .45-70 and .450 might be options for you too if you want a more commonly available caliber and don't mind the range limitations.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Ray, I assume you're talking about the modern Rigby .450, based on a necked-up Rigby .416. I have a .416 Rigby built on a Winchester Model 70 action. It's a superb cartridge despite being a century old; I'm sure the .450 is just as good. The .416 would be just as effective on bear if you needed it, and much more historic. It has absolutely no disadvantages compared to more modern cartridges.

I had a .458 Winchester Magnum for years, and took it to the Arctic as a bear rifle. It's not nearly as efficient as the .416 since it was made to fit a shorter action, and suffers a bit from inadequate case capacity. You need a compacted load to reach the velocity claimed for it. The .416 is completely understressed.

ssc45

Observer
I have not heard much about the .450 Rigby for some time. Before I started to go to Africa, I was researching DG rifles. I had plenty of PG rifles. The debates back around 1999 seemed to be 375 vs 40cal and 458WM vs lott. Another common debate was which 416 was best, Rigby vs Remington. I won't even get into the debates of the doubles. I do recall the 450 Rigby coming up in debate a few times vs the lott. However, it was a relatively new choice and not many people had much experience with it. The Rem 416 was a newer choice, but seemed to have a good following. I had a .375 H&H custom built. I have never regretted my choice.

In my travels to Africa, I did shoot and observe critters taken with many different rifles. Also, when we would return to camp, I would spend time in the skinning shed in order to observe the bullets performance. In regards to the cape buf, I noticed, on the few times I watched, that sledgehammers from the 375 always penetrated deeper than the 400 to 500 grain solids from 458's and 450 kynoch. Never hunted with the 416. However, people who I know and trust have had great things to report.

If I was going to go back to Africa and wanted to use a nostalgic bolt gun, my choice would probably be the 416 Rigby. The ballistics of the 450 Rigby look great as a stopper. Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Steve

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Are you going to reload? It's one of those calibers that falls into the "very expensive to shoot" category.

I honestly don't fire more than 6 shells a year with any of our hunting rifles. Maybe 3 or 4 shots before a trip to ensure the scope is still properly sighted in and most years 1 moose means 1 bullet unless you have an unlucky branch or something. If I am not confident of taking down an animal with the first shot I am not taking the shot. I am not that desperate for the meat. So if it's $10 a shot then that's only $60 a year. Hell, I will spend $500 just on the fuel to get there and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ray, I assume you're talking about the modern Rigby .450, based on a necked-up Rigby .416.

Yep that's the one. Very hard to find one up here, those that have one hold onto them.

You are right of course, the .416 would be enough, but the .450 is one of those items that's always held a draw for me.

You, I am sure, know exactly what I am talking about, you find that item that you've always wanted, and then never sell it.

It's the same with my 200tdi D110. There are way better vehicles out there, but only one calls to me that special way, and now that I have it I'll never sell it.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
You, I am sure, know exactly what I am talking about, you find that item that you've always wanted, and then never sell it.

I surely do: I also own an original Rigby/Mauser .275, which was a gift from a dear gun writer friend. It was given to him by a rich acquaintance, and he knew I'd dreamed of owning one since reading about them as a child in books by Bell, Corbett, and many others. He showed it to me when I visited, and when I finally tried to hand it back, he said, "I think it needs to stay with you." It's kept us in elk and venison since.

14487586041_aa6506f577_z.jpg

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
I went through the exact same thing... and ended up with a 505 gibbs... Why? No clue, it just felt like almost enough overkill... And I can always rebarrel it in 600 Overkill if I wanted to... Who knows!

java

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you want the Rigby. I dont think you will be dissapointed at all.

I've been lusting over 45-70 for a few years now. That is next on my want list.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
If anyone sees one online, please PM me a link. I think the rules state that we are not supposed to post any firearms for sale links in the actual forums. I've been unsuccessful searching so far.

ShootingCar

I have a beautiful .375 H&H on a Model 70 Supergrade G&H custom rifle at Robin Hollow Outfitters. I agree and love the classic Rigby cartridges and would prefer the .416 for class. There's a new cartridge company here in Wisconsin making low recoil DG ammo. Their name is Nyati. John I also have a .275 Rigby Mauser as a repro of James Corbets rifle like yours.

Last edited:

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
So I am curious, a bit of a bump for the thread. I've always used a Husqvarna 30-06, handed down from my father. Never really needed anything else.
Moose and deer. I'm getting older, and am in the bush more often than not solo. So I've been looking at the heavy weights now. I'm set on a
375 H&H, I don't plan to shoot past 100 yds anyhow.
So what did you end up getting?

Arclight

SAR guy
I honestly don't fire more than 6 shells a year with any of our hunting rifles. Maybe 3 or 4 shots before a trip to ensure the scope is still properly sighted in and most years 1 moose means 1 bullet unless you have an unlucky branch or something. If I am not confident of taking down an animal with the first shot I am not taking the shot. I am not that desperate for the meat. So if it's $10 a shot then that's only $60 a year. Hell, I will spend $500 just on the fuel to get there and back.

If you want this for defense from dangerous game, then that might be an argument towards something a bit more practical to shoot that you can practice a lot more with. Another good choice would be a quality 12GA with quality slugs. And practice.

Now if you just want to get a big rifle, by all means do it!

Arclight

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
So I am curious, a bit of a bump for the thread. I've always used a Husqvarna 30-06, handed down from my father. Never really needed anything else.
Moose and deer. I'm getting older, and am in the bush more often than not solo. So I've been looking at the heavy weights now. I'm set on a
375 H&H, I don't plan to shoot past 100 yds anyhow.
So what did you end up getting?

Didn't get anything yet. We decided to drive a 1954 Series 1 Land Rover from London to Singapore this year (see my other thread) so this has been pushed back by a year or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles