40+ Imported Defenders seized by Homeland Security Today (developing story)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
In case you guys missed it, 6 trucks are being returned to their owners as Land Rover North America had provided investigators the incorrect VIN decoder. Six of the trucks that the Feds were claiming to be 2000's were indeed 1983 trucks and completely legal.

This could get very interesting as I believe from my limited knowledge of law if any of the trucks on the warrants were wrong, the warrant becomes null and void. But time will tell on that.

Anyway, a little bright news on a bleak situation.

D

greynolds

Observer
In case you guys missed it, 6 trucks are being returned to their owners as Land Rover North America had provided investigators the incorrect VIN decoder. Six of the trucks that the Feds were claiming to be 2000's were indeed 1983 trucks and completely legal.

This could get very interesting as I believe from my limited knowledge of law if any of the trucks on the warrants were wrong, the warrant becomes null and void. But time will tell on that.

Anyway, a little bright news on a bleak situation.

D
That's great news, but JLRNA owes those owners some sort of compensation IMO. Not sure what exactly, but certainly more than just an apology.

greynolds

Observer
Like what? A Land Rover logo coffee mug and a free dealership oil change?
Good question... But if the feds showed up and took your vehicle away from you because of bad information from the manufacturer, wouldn't you expect something a bit more than "oops, sorry about that"? The company has the resources to do something nice for these people without breaking the bank. Maybe a voucher for some Land Rover parts and/or clothing, but certainly more than a coffee mug.

Here's a thought, though I highly doubt it will happen, but it could be a great PR win for LR...

For these 6 owners, offer to buy back their vehicles to be used as part of a heritage campaign to introduce the new Defender to the market. The buy back offer could be a brand new 2015 (or whatever model year it will be) Defender when they're introduced. Loan these people a current Land Rover model in the interim.

This would obviously cost Land Rover some money, but in the grand scheme of things, 6 vehicles really isn't that much for them. I have a hunch though that some, if not all, of those affected would just want to keep their current vehicle anyway.

Of course, what about the other 34+ people who had their vehicles seized? I guess it depends on just what happens to those vehicles, but I certainly hope the current owners either get their vehicles back or get some form of compensation for them unless it can be proven that those owners knowingly bought stolen or newer than 25 year old vehicles that were illegally brought into the country.

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I wasn't even aware that there was a similar 25 year importation exemption for guns. Seems like you get AKs coming in from all over that are newer than that.

Actually, these days you don't get Russian AKs imported at all, due to the sanctions against Russia. But I digress, and this has nothing to do with the actual topic at hand.

The very important topic of humorous non-apology merchandise.

Personally I'd like to see a "My Landy was seized by DHS and all I got was this lousy *inset product here*" It could be applied to bumper stickers, shirts, hats, tire covers, you name it!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Actually, these days you don't get Russian AKs imported at all, due to the sanctions against Russia. But I digress, and this has nothing to do with the actual topic at hand.

The very important topic of humorous non-apology merchandise.

Personally I'd like to see a "My Landy was seized by DHS and all I got was this lousy *inset product here*" It could be applied to bumper stickers, shirts, hats, tire covers, you name it!

Seriously. If CBP takes your truck they should at least give you a nice hat.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
First wave of releases being distributed currently....

I don't know if this thread addresses the fact that Will Hedrick has been representing the seized trucks owners at no cost- see the same thread on Defendersource.com Anyway, we have posted the following on that site this am:

Hello everyone
As many of you know, Will has undertaken representation of many Defender owners in an effort to recover the seized Defenders, as well as potentially affecting the way in which many of these laws governing imports and modifications are interpreted. He has elected to do so without compensation, and is consequently investing a tremendous amount of his time. Also, he is not setup to accept any donations that would go a long way toward offsetting this time away from his family.
So, after many discussions, we have determined it best to make donations to my wife's PP account, which will then be forwarded to Will's financial manager, aka his wife.
Please do not feel obligated to donate, but at the same time please realize what it would cost individually to defend such a case- much less at the level of urgency he has accomplished.

All that said, please make any and all donations to: rgknepp@gmail.com
Also, if you would like to make donations but do not use Paypal, feel free to PM ore mail for other options.

Thanks to all!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94