40+ Imported Defenders seized by Homeland Security Today (developing story)

High Center

Adventurer
Let's keep comments from getting personal. Like the rules say,

"...spirited and intelligent debate is encouraged. Flaming is when a debate becomes personal, with personal insult. Debating a specific point is fine, but calling someone "stupid" is not."

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2-Welcome-to-the-Expedition-Portal-Forum-Rules-etiquette-etc

Agreed, 100%.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
caveat Emptor does not apply when the seller commits fraud

Sure it does.

Caveat Emptor applies anytime anyone is considering buying anything. More so with used vehicles and most so with imported grey market vehicles.

A major portion of the allure with Defenders is that they are scarce and/or forbidden in the US, and with that can come lack of traceability. Our legal system is full of cases where consumers didn't apply sufficient caveat emptor with a purchase and now looking for legal recourse; at tax payers expense. People are duped hourly in our country. I'm not saying that that applies to this situation, but, in general, I feel people need to add more skepticism to their business transaction.

As Adam noted in the coming days the legal driver for this situation may put the feds in very different light. But that doesn't reduce the risk of ROW Defender ownership in the US.

Viggen

Just here...
Let's keep comments from getting personal. Like the rules say,

"...spirited and intelligent debate is encouraged. Flaming is when a debate becomes personal, with personal insult. Debating a specific point is fine, but calling someone "stupid" is not."

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2-Welcome-to-the-Expedition-Portal-Forum-Rules-etiquette-etc

Laughing hilariously at the cherry picking of rules enforcement.

"Political and religious threads are not permitted on the forum and will be immediately deleted without PM or explanation. Posts in non-political threads that violate this rule will be immediately deleted. The only political or religious threads permitted are ones specific to international travel, such as educating other members on the unique cultural, behavioral or language standards in other countries. A thread about a coup in Honduras is fine."

Keep up the good work...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Sure it does.

Caveat Emptor applies anytime anyone is considering buying anything. More so with used vehicles and most so with imported grey market vehicles.

A major portion of the allure with Defenders is that they are scarce and/or forbidden in the US, and with that can come lack of traceability. Our legal system is full of cases where consumers didn't apply sufficient caveat emptor with a purchase and now looking for legal recourse; at tax payers expense. People are duped hourly in our country. I'm not saying that that applies to this situation, but, in general, I feel people need to add more skepticism to their business transaction.

As Adam noted in the coming days the legal driver for this situation may put the feds in very different light. But that doesn't reduce the risk of ROW Defender ownership in the US.

I agree.

And just because you buy from a licensed dealer there's not a lot of safety there either.

In North Carolina a car dealer is required to maintain a bond, but it is only $50,000 - not a lot of recourse or safety net through the state.

roverandom

Adventurer
I still feel that a relaxing of rules regarding the legal importation of low numbers of non US market vehicles would significantly reduce the crime associated with it.

It would allow reputable dealers to become involved that ensure the validity of the vehicle in question and at the same time allow customers to be more selective upon purchase.

At the moment you have a situation where an easily stolen/altered vehicle is desperately desired in a country that has strict laws prohibiting them. Step up the 'middle man' and ten eager buyers for each unit he can supply and the result is this mess.

Prohibition does not work. No matter how many bottles you smash. I thought your Feds would have learned that already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacr2man

Adventurer
There have been several big prosecutions of landrover theft rings in UK recently , so it is quite possible that info from this end showed a trail to a USA importer , theft of high end cars has also been a focus of NCA but that has been going thru EU to Russia etc .
I have been very concerned about my 86 110 , as it was until very recently all original (now BMW 6cyl TDI) , as it spent 15years in Australia , any in UK are very unlikely to be all original , due salt induced corrosion used in winter ! There are lots advertised as suitable for export to USA , due knowledge of sky high prices in US .

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
as it was until very recently all original (now BMW 6cyl TDI).

Do you have a build thread or more details on that?

I'd love to know what trans you used, what mileage you're getting, what computer control the engine requires, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks!

-Dan

Dolomiti

Adventurer
I'll second that. I know someone who put an M30 (3.4l i6) in an RRC.

Do you have a build thread or more details on that?

I'd love to know what trans you used, what mileage you're getting, what computer control the engine requires, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks!

-Dan

grimbo

Explorer
The lack of empathy by some is staggering. Can't imagine what it must be like to have enforcement agencies turn up in a group hand over a warrant and then just take your vehicle.

You can do all the checks in the world and still get ripped off. My 4wd has all legally obtained stuff on it but I have no records of any of the purchases. How do you check that?

superbuickguy

Explorer
The lack of empathy by some is staggering. Can't imagine what it must be like to have enforcement agencies turn up in a group hand over a warrant and then just take your vehicle.

You can do all the checks in the world and still get ripped off. My 4wd has all legally obtained stuff on it but I have no records of any of the purchases. How do you check that?

start here

https://www.nicb.org/

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I still feel that a relaxing of rules regarding the legal importation of low numbers of non US market vehicles would significantly reduce the crime associated with it.

It would allow reputable dealers to become involved that ensure the validity of the vehicle in question and at the same time allow customers to be more selective upon purchase.

At the moment you have a situation where an easily stolen/altered vehicle is desperately desired in a country that has strict laws prohibiting them. Step up the 'middle man' and ten eager buyers for each unit he can supply and the result is this mess.

Prohibition does not work. No matter how many bottles you smash. I thought your Feds would have learned that already?

I don't disagree, but you have to realize that this then becomes a philosophical discussion because that's not going to happen. As long as the automakers use their deep pockets to influence this policy (and remember it's there because they lobbied for it) then it is not going to go away.

What has more potential (but we still lack the political will) is harmonizing EU and NA regulations so that automakers build vehicles to a single set of standards. Again, since they like being able to use different pricing models for different markets they aren't going to give up the ability to geographically segment their pricing strategies readily so I don't see it happening.

NCLR015

Adventurer
As long as the automakers use their deep pockets to influence this policy (and remember it's there because they lobbied for it) then it is not going to go away.

I'm sure the dealers and manufacturers were happy about the cash for clunkers program, too. They are in business to sell cars.

That being said I can't see the harm in a few old Land Rovers or G-Series or what have you. Not like they'd notice any change in their bottom line.

Regarding safety issues. The big manufacturers should worry about cleaning their own houses.

http://tinyurl.com/lr9njw7

http://tinyurl.com/pesd6lv

http://tinyurl.com/p7x3n6a

roverandom

Adventurer
That being said I can't see the harm in a few old Land Rovers or G-Series or what have you. Not like they'd notice any change in their bottom line.

Exactly my thoughts. It's not like Ford is going to loose out on any new F150 sales if a couple of thousand 5-10 year old Defenders hit the US shores. Seriously, until they let it be known they were discontinuing Defender production Land Rover had trouble selling them to anyone. Sales figures were appalling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94