40 Guy builds a 100 Series

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Havd a good time with good friends off-roading all weekend, but we had a good bit of rain so everything was a little bit sloppy, did I mention that IH8MUD? So it's time to bust out the power washer, blast the under carriage, detail the engine bay and give the paint the spa treatment!

I start off with a complete top-to-bottom wash, then I used a Claybar system for the whole car, then I used a Polish for the clear coat followed lastly by a good gold class Carnuba wax... thank you Meguiars!

Before
img_1645-jpg.1507931

img_1646-jpg.1507932

After all 4 steps...
img_1649-jpg.1507933

img_1653-jpg.1507934

img_1654-jpg.1507935

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Had a full day to crank and finish up my roof rack yesterday. I was hung up on how to mount my sunroof panel that is removable without it being a pain in the booty or overly complicated... nor flimsy. I came up with a simple gusset with a trick tab on top. Four threaded nutserts will be captured into the base of the rack, and I can drop a bolt through the top, tighten them down and away we go.

img_1762-jpg.1525254

I did place one more crossbar down the middle of the sunroof panel but it I forgot to snap a pic.
img_1763-jpg.1525255

Rezarf <><

Explorer
After all the fab work was done it was high time to prep for paint. I have started using these 3M sanding pads that you can pick up nearly anywhere for about a buck a pop. They seem to last forever, conform to round surfaces really well and the biggest plus is they don't leave grit anywhere. They make quick work of scuffing all the metal for paint.

img_1766-jpg.1525262

Here is the rack looked like fresh from welding, there is a lot to clean up. I use the 3M pads and a wire wheel until everything is squeaky clean.
img_1767-jpg.1525263

Here is the same stretch of tube before and after a few swipes with the 3M pad. It makes really quick work of raw steel.
img_1768-jpg.1525264

img_1769-jpg.1525265

Rezarf <><

Explorer
It takes a while to go over about 50' of tubing but in the end it will give my rattle can paint job the best chance of holding up to the weather the longest. I plan on running the rack the rest of this season and into next spring. Spray paint allows me to change the places I weld brackets onto to mount things like a solar panel, gas can, and or a pelican case or two. I prefer hard mounts and this will allow me to play with the setup, add tabs, try different things, then when I am happy I will have it powder coated.

All prepped, scuffed, wiped down with acetone and ready for primer.
img_1770-jpg.1525266

Here is an example of how clean I prefer the surfaces before primer.
img_1771-jpg.1525267

And here it is in primer. I am using Rustoleum automotive primer and their heavy duty enamel for the topcoat in a gloss black. This was the first time I was disappointed in the Rustoleum products, I got a lot of pin holes in the final topcoat. When I would spray the paint it would lay on flat and glossy then almost fiz like soda and produce tiny pin holes... it was frustrating but it is what it is.
img_1774-jpg.1525268

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Shot with the Rustoleum heavy duty enamel last night in gloss black. I have had GREAT results with this paint. It has held up to 10 years of abuse on my rear tire carrier on my 40 and it usually goes on without issue. I sprayed it pretty heavy and have some runs to proove it but again this is to allow me to mess with it for a few months until I find a resting spot with all my gear, then it is off to powder coat as my 100 lives outside 100% of the time and that is a lot to ask of any paint.

img_1783-jpg.1525271

Took about 3 cans of primer and 4 cans of topcoat.
img_1784-jpg.1525272

Most of the pin holes vanished overnight... that's cool. I was pretty miffed last night after all that prep to not have a slick finish in the end. I have found the high gloss finish settles down after a few weeks and it hardens between a semi-gloss and high-gloss in the end. It will match my sliders at least ;) I hope to get it mounted up today or tomorrow if I can find an extra set of willing hands near by.
img_1785-jpg.1525273

Rezarf <><

Explorer
BOOM!

I rattle canned it for now in hopes of running it for a while and see what needs to be added as far as tie down points, tabs for mounting do-dads and anything else I think needs modifying. I am going to make up some brackets for my Fox Wing 270* awning and that will mean a relocation of the Hi-Lift jack, I will likely mount it to the drivers side rails. In the end I am sorta' bummed that by the time I hang all the crap I want to off it, I am going to cover up most of my handiwork. :lol:

The light bar tucked in perfectly, I just need to test it out at night and see if I avoided the dreaded hood splash.
img_1803_edited-1-jpg.1528258

I drove 120 miles last night without any wind noise at 70-80mph on the highway so that was AWESOME! I am pretty certain I am going to incur a good bit more wind noise with the addition of the light bar. I am planning on a fairing of some sort for long drives and to keep the bugs of the light bar.
img_1804-jpg.1528259

I am hoping this is enough clearance for the light bar to not contact the roof, I have about 3/8" I was shooting for 1/2" but when I welded my sunroof panel landing pads to the rack I didn't take into account they would effectively "lower" the floor of the rack 1/8" lower than when I mocked it up. I'll know soon enough.
img_1806-jpg.1528260

I am stoked. Again, a big shout out to Tim @nakman from GAMIVITI for selling me the towers and landing pads, thanks Tim!
img_1808-jpg.1528261

img_1809-jpg.1528262

Function > Form

I am stoked. Again, a big shout out to Tim @nakman from GAMIVITI for selling me the towers and landing pads, thanks Tim!

Wow love those gamviti towers. I wonder if they will work on my liberty. Of course...I could build something similar...

I just saw your rack build in the other thread which led me here. Great job on the build overall with lots of innovative and cool mods - this truck is on my short list for our next vehicle. And wow, I love the rack! Nice welding and design...impressive work! I need to get me one of those JD2 benders...just saw ChuckE2009 review one and he was gushing - seems you are happy with yours too. Right now, I'm still on square and sheet stock until I get a bender!!

cheers!

Adventurous

Explorer
My recent experience with Rustoleum Professional enamel has been less than pleasant as well. It didn't lay down well over Rustoleum primer, had pin holes like you said, and some sections turned out glossy where others were more of a semi-gloss, enough so that it was noticeable.

I recently switched to using VHT enamel paint that I'm buying for ~$8 a can through auto parts stores. It sprays MUCH nicer than the Rustoleum and I've found it to be a more even, durable finish. Just FYI in case this latest experience has you yearning for a better spray paint.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm also using VHT header paint. The high heat formulas have more strength to them than standard rust paint. I believe it was Mr Stoffegren who pointed that little pearl of wisdom. Higher silica/silicon (?) content or similar.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I installed (sort of, more on that later) a set of Bora Motor Sports wheel spacers for the 100 today. Man, the quality of these spacers is simply awesome. The fitment was perfect, no machining marks, individually serialized, quality all around. I got mine in the 1.25" thickness but they are made to order so you can spec any size you'd like. They took a few weeks to ship but they seem worth the wait. They come with a lifetime warranty and I am stoked about that since I believe they'll stand behind the product so you know they are making a product they are proud of.

Nicely machined... includes the set of acorn nuts.
img_2032-jpg.1541069

Nicely machined around the front drive flanges...
img_2037-jpg.1541073

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne