4 person tent. Ikamper vs Freespirit Vs Smittybuilt XL

offthepath

Adventurer
With the kids (4yo and 2yo) getting bigger we need to upgrade roof top tents. I currently have a TuffStuff 3 person tent. Although I have not been a fan of the quality control and feel its made pretty cheap, ultimately its a tent and it has worked well for us, especially considering the price. We have used the TuffStuff tent for about 3 years on both our F250 and Montero, probably with 50+ nights total. All the use is done while fourwheeling from summer to winter. Any new tent will need to be durable and adaptable to a wide range of climates (all Western states use). We prefer to use the Montero for 90% of the trips with the roof top tent and it would see about 25-30 nights a year.

Now that I'm looking at a new tent, I'm considering what I really don't like about the TuffStuff tent: the closed height (high profile), getting the cover on and off gets old, with a few heavy blankets and 2 pillows the tent almost wont close, when traveling in heavy rain the tent gets wet, AND the mattress sucks.

In a new tent I'd like to avoid some of these nagging issues I have with the TuffStuff. Many of these problems I feel may be common amongst the standard roof top tents that have the same design as the Tuffstuff (ie Smitty built). The biggest draw to the Smitty Built is the price. I feel like I know what I'd get while saving a bunch of money in the process.

However, looking around I really like the Ikamper Skycamp and Freespirit High Country tent. It seems like the Ikamper would meet most of our wants and if it weren't for the price would be my first pick. I'm also drawn to the Freespirit with the tri-layer fabric which looks like it would be a good cold weather tent. Initially, I liked these due to the lower profile. However after comparing the specs to the Smittybuilt XL, it seems like they each weigh about the same and are with in 1-2in of each other for closed height. Looking at pictures they seem much slimmer than the Smittybuilt, but if the dimensions and weight are really that close would it matter going with the cheaper tent?

The Smittybuilt is around $1k, the Freespirit around $2500 and the Ikamper $3500. Is there anyone with experience that can offer some insight if the additional money is really worth it?

Thanks

DCH109

Adventurer
For the price of the ikamper, I would go with a Maggiolina Grand Tour. I had the Adventure (no longer sold) model in the Large and I can say it is about the size of a large queen bed. Solid (I hit a tree with mine and the tree was hurt) built and just a great RTT, plus I kept my comforter and pillows + the ladder in the RTT and ready to go. I now have a Maggiolina Extreme small as it is more just me. The bigger issue is the weight. Oh and you do not have a giant cover blocking one side of the view. I do not worry where I position my vehicle for my morning view.
Crank up and go.

I looked at the Smittybuilt and for a budget tent it is ok. Expect it to not last as long and really it is just a larger version of the tough stuff.
As with any that fold the cover is a PITA, and keeping the bedding in when folder is also a challenge. The other two, i feel are over priced and more taking advantage of a boost in RTT. James Baroud may be another to look at.

I am contemplating the Smittybuilt just because of the price as well, but after seeing one going down the highway with the wind under the cover and it all puffed up like and old convertible car, I decided against it. Well that and when I had a folding RTT I hated it as it was a pain to open, setup and close. I had it after my Adventure RTT and it was a superior tent.

So if you are looking for one to buy once and not 3 times like me, get the Maggiolina or I hear the James Baroud are good (not a fan of the gas pistons myself). If budget is tight, keep what you have or get the Smittybuilt and save or a better tent purchase later.

Box Rocket

Not considering a Tepui? The Autana XL (if you want an annex) and the Kukenam XL are 4-person tents that will be a big jump in quality from what you're used to, and IMO better than the other options you're considering, especially if you get a Ruggedized one. The other nice thing about the Tepui is the Interchangeable canopies. You could buy a Ruggedized model and later pick up a Baja Series (ultralight) canopy that can be changed in about 60 seconds. It would give you an ideal tent for any conditions, cold weather or hot without needing to purchase two complete separate tents. Just a canopy.

And in case you're not aware, I can get you 10% off on any of the Tepui stuff. Let me know if you have any questions.

offthepath

Adventurer
For the price of the ikamper, I would go with a Maggiolina Grand Tour. I had the Adventure (no longer sold) model in the Large and I can say it is about the size of a large queen bed. Solid (I hit a tree with mine and the tree was hurt) built and just a great RTT, plus I kept my comforter and pillows + the ladder in the RTT and ready to go. I now have a Maggiolina Extreme small as it is more just me. The bigger issue is the weight. Oh and you do not have a giant cover blocking one side of the view. I do not worry where I position my vehicle for my morning view.
Crank up and go.

I looked at the Smittybuilt and for a budget tent it is ok. Expect it to not last as long and really it is just a larger version of the tough stuff.
As with any that fold the cover is a PITA, and keeping the bedding in when folder is also a challenge. The other two, i feel are over priced and more taking advantage of a boost in RTT. James Baroud may be another to look at.

I am contemplating the Smittybuilt just because of the price as well, but after seeing one going down the highway with the wind under the cover and it all puffed up like and old convertible car, I decided against it. Well that and when I had a folding RTT I hated it as it was a pain to open, setup and close. I had it after my Adventure RTT and it was a superior tent.

So if you are looking for one to buy once and not 3 times like me, get the Maggiolina or I hear the James Baroud are good (not a fan of the gas pistons myself). If budget is tight, keep what you have or get the Smittybuilt and save or a better tent purchase later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually just got the Smittybuilt. With the sales going on it was around $900 shipped to my door. I really needed a King size bed and wanted a hardshell, so that's what lead me to the Ikamper.

As I said, there are a few quality control issues I did not like with my Tuffstuff. However, in the end I came to the realization there was nothing wrong with the tent that was worth paying thousands and thousands of dollars more to correct. If the Ikamper was lower profile, I would have gladly sprung for the hard shell. I just couldn't see the cost vs benefit for about 1.5 inches.

I plan on upgrading the mattress and I'm sure the family will have just as much fun in a $900 tent compared to a $4000 tent.:cool:

DCH109

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually just got the Smittybuilt. With the sales going on it was around $900 shipped to my door. I really needed a King size bed and wanted a hardshell, so that's what lead me to the Ikamper.

As I said, there are a few quality control issues I did not like with my Tuffstuff. However, in the end I came to the realization there was nothing wrong with the tent that was worth paying thousands and thousands of dollars more to correct. If the Ikamper was lower profile, I would have gladly sprung for the hard shell. I just couldn't see the cost vs benefit for about 1.5 inches.

I plan on upgrading the mattress and I'm sure the family will have just as much fun in a $900 tent compared to a $4000 tent.:cool:

That is great! I seriously look at these for you reasoning being the same. Both my Autohomes I got cheap and used Still replaced the mattress in both.
I do not know if I would have spent 3-4K on a tent that is used less than 60 days a year. I know my wife would say NO WAY.

When the kids decide to camp with me, for that price and the price I paid for my Extreme, I could pick up one and store it swapping it onto my roof when needed.

I would be interested how you find it after a few months.

offthepath

Adventurer
That is great! I seriously look at these for you reasoning being the same. Both my Autohomes I got cheap and used Still replaced the mattress in both.
I do not know if I would have spent 3-4K on a tent that is used less than 60 days a year. I know my wife would say NO WAY.

When the kids decide to camp with me, for that price and the price I paid for my Extreme, I could pick up one and store it swapping it onto my roof when needed.

I would be interested how you find it after a few months.

I got it today. So far based on initial impression, much better quality than the Tuffstuff and a few of the nagging issues seem to have been resolved.

Once I get a few trips in I'll post an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke