4 national parks in 10 days

expoxj

Adventurer
This has been long, long overdue. Last November Robertdarin, Tacomedic, and me made a trip all over moab and Colorado. Here is some pics and a account of the trip.

Our plan was to leave arkansas traveling on as many 2 lane roads as possible to reach moab by way of Great Sand dunes national park in Colorado. We would then head on to moab and Canyonlands np to camp for the night meeting tacomedic there.

Here we were just pulling into the park.
Moab2008003.jpg

This place is so strange and so beautiful. The smooth sand dunes against the rugged mountain backdrop is amazing.
Moab2008011.jpg

Our plan that day was to set up camp then hit medano pass in the morning. Here is Darin cooking up breakfast considering he is a managing chef at the local university. :chef: he seemed like the best man for the job.
Moab2008032.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
Next day we aired down and prepared to head out onto the medano pass.
Moab2008033.jpg

The medano creek flows right against the dunes and leaves interesting little ripples in the sand it flows over.
Moab2008048.jpg

Crossing medano creek, which was still frozen over, we headed up the pass into the aspens.
Moab2008075.jpg

Moab2008105.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
The pass follows the creek for most of the way. Here is just one of the many beaver damns we spotted.
Moab2008121.jpg

The xj and the trooper near the top of the pass.
Moab2008140.jpg

Bergger

Explorer
Nice photos. I love the Geat Sand Dunes NP and Medano Pass. I've made a point to go there each of the past two springs. Anyone who lives in CO and has not yet camped along Medano Rd is really missing something. There are a bunch of nice free camp spots and it's really pretty there. Medano Creek is really fun in the spring when the water's high. There are about 12 crossings. I think I'll try to plan the next trip in the fall when the Aspens are changing.

expoxj

Adventurer
This was my first trip to moab and I was really impressed. The rock formations and colors are amazing.
Moab2008153.jpg

After we pulled into canyonlands using the needles district entrance we followed the colorado overlook trail to get a view of the canyon.
Moab2008159.jpg

Its not a to difficult trail but a great way to get our feet wet at driving on slick rock.
Moab2008161.jpg

Moab2008208.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
Nice photos. I love the Geat Sand Dunes NP and Medano Pass. I've made a point to go there each of the past two springs. Anyone who lives in CO and has not yet camped along Medano Rd is really missing something. There are a bunch of nice free camp spots and it's really pretty there. Medano Creek is really fun in the spring when the water's high. There are about 12 crossings. I think I'll try to plan the next trip in the fall when the Aspens are changing.

We ended up being there just a little too late and the aspens had already lost their leaves.I'm hoping to return as well and hike to a few of the lakes up there. I'm trying to plan a trip in early fall to explore more of the area.

expoxj

Adventurer
That night we met up with tacomedic, and in the morning headed over to elephant hill. He we are at the base...for some reason I have a stupid grin on my face...I'm just really excited to be there...Looks a little early for Darin though.
Moab2008253.jpg

Elephant hill was a fun and challenging trail. It was great to see how 3 completely different vehicles reacted to the different obstacles.
Moab2008279.jpg

This is at the silver stairs.
Moab2008347.jpg

I'm sure Tacomedics elocker came in real handy in a few places.
Moab2008309.jpg

Here the troopers got its mirrors tucked in to make it through the squeeze.
Moab2008324.jpg

The taco is a little bit thinner. Looks good with that arb and m8000 behind it.
Moab2008328.jpg

Rear coils and ifs equal crazy amounts of rear flex.
Moab2008379.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
After heading into town for showers, dinner and a few drinks at the moab brewery,relaxing in the hot tub, and a good nights rest. We woke up got breakfast and visited Arches. It was a foggy, wet, dreary day so we don't have many pictures.
P1030210.jpg

We took the tower arch trail in the wet even though it said this....And if we had been even an hour later. I would have believed it.
P1030229.jpg

Most of the trail consisted of crossing creekbeds and washouts...many of which were starting to fill up with water.
P1030236.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
After the arches adventure and being happy to have made it off the trail. We quit while we were ahead and headed back to town. The next day I wanted to do a classic moab trail. Hells revenge looked to be pretty busy so we headed on to fins and things. The traction on slickrock is almost as amazing as the angles the trail takes you through.
P1030238.jpg

Here is what my little clinometer was saying at the time.
P1030246.jpg

The scenery and the trail were great here.
P1030301.jpg

P1030304.jpg

P1030239.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
P1030325.jpg

After a good dinner that night we parted ways and started the journey back to arkansas. On our way home we decided to stop and check out Mesa Verde.
P1030334.jpg

P1030339.jpg

This was taken right outside the park. Snow was covering the ground although this guy didn't seem to mind.
P1030330.jpg

It was great to travel just a little over a week and see so much varied terrain. I'm excited to do it again soon.
P1030397.jpg

expoxj

Adventurer
Posting all those pics today makes me want to get out and do something...wish it weren't so windy here today, I'd go ride my bike.:bike_rider:

t0mills

Adventurer
Great pics!!

Thanks for posting up the report. I can't wait to make the trip this June!

How many miles total did you log?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior