4 door Rubicon Phoenix Camper

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I think I'm in love :drool:

Expo-Jeep-Rubicon-awning.jpg

Expo-Jeep-Rubicon-with-Rooftop-Camper-1024x618.jpg

Expo-Jeep-Rubicon-from-back-1024x668.jpg

Expo-interior-camper.jpg

http://www.phoenixpopup.com/phoenix-pop-ups-adventure-to-the-2014-overland-expo-west/

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
That was cool to look at and climb all over at Overland Expo.

I'd love to know the price and weight.

-Dan

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I watched it pull into the expo, the back was squatted almost to the point the tires were rubbing the flare. Wonder why as it looks normal in these pics.

SamM

Adventurer
I don't get the point. Just buy a truck with a slide-in and tow your 2-door JK behind you on an aluminum trailer. Honestly, I think the 4-door Wranglers are too much. Four people fit just fine in my 2-door.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
That has to be SO top heavy!

I would imagine it has gone from off road machine to campground cruizer

I don't think it is top heavier than my JK with the Maggiolina RTT, or any other Jeep, Land Cruiser or Land Rover with a fully loaded roof rack. And I don't think it wants to be an off-road machine to conquer the Rubicon with but a capable camper you can safely travel Baja. Like a Power Wagon with a Four Wheel Camper or a Sportsmobile.

I watched it pull into the expo, the back was squatted almost to the point the tires were rubbing the flare. Wonder why as it looks normal in these pics.

It's not just the weight of the camper, it's also water, fuel, provisions, gear, spares etc. I do agree, the stock suspension might not be up to the task and will need some serious upgrades.

I don't get the point. Just buy a truck with a slide-in and tow your 2-door JK behind you on an aluminum trailer. Honestly, I think the 4-door Wranglers are too much. Four people fit just fine in my 2-door.
It all depends of your idea of "overlanding". If you like to work off a base camp and go trail riding with your Jeep from there, truck with camper and towing the Jeep sure is an option. If you want to drive down Baja, ferry over to Mexico mainland, drive down to Guatemala, Belize and back up through Mexico, I definitely would not want to do it in a swb Wrangler or a truck camper pulling a Jeep.

This Phoenix Camper Rubicon or a Sportsmobile would be my kind of retirement plan.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I gave it a good look over at Overland Expo. The rear overhang and the re-use of the crappy factory bumper cap were two points that left me unimpressed.

BBailey

Explorer

The longer wheelbase of the 4 door JKU makes it a superior platform offroad in many situations. It's why you see so many JKs with comp cut rears and the rear axles pushed back. It vastly improves their climbing ability as well as their stability offroad.

That and the increased load carrying capability of the JKU are very real advantages offroad if you're doing more than exploring dirt roads.

And without a roofrack or trailer, both of which are a detriment offroad, you aren't carrying 4 days of camping supplies in a JK with 4 people loaded. That's a very simple task on a JKU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emkay

Observer
I like those campertops, but is it without harm to the JKs stiffness to remove the oem cage?

Sent via my bongo drums...

GetOutThere

Adventurer
The more I see crazy JKUs like this, the more I think a nice ground tent and good mattress are the way to go.

These things are getting ridiculous.

One man's opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94