4 Door FJ-40 from RedLine Land Cruisers: FJ-UTE

carlpb

Hood

The hood does look out of proportion loosing the FJ40 identity, looks more like a 70's dodge pickup hood.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Hood doesn't look too bad to me... and wheel it?!! no way!

I also can't believe they can hit that price point. Good for them, they may actually sell some of those.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
To buy that for $49k, almost seems impossible! Good on them for hitting that price point. I've built quite a few trucks, and it's hard to believe they're making any money.

I would almost think you would have $50k into it yourself , if you bought the kit and did it yourself. Better off buying it done!

Yeh, I gotta think this is a basic package... there's no way to build it properly for that kind of coin. Id think someone could take their time and build one for $30-40k but I'd get in line early for that price they won't keep it there long and make money. I think people are going to be disappointed between an Icon and what $50k buys you. There's a reason the Icons cost as much as an exotic sportscar.

On the other side of the coin, if they can sell a good kit at these prices, we'll start to see some neat fabricators doing some sweet builds. I'd be all over it if I had the TIME.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think people are going to be disappointed between an Icon and what $50k buys you. There's a reason the Icons cost as much as an exotic sportscar.

On the other side of the coin, if they can sell a good kit at these prices, we'll start to see some neat fabricators doing some sweet builds. I'd be all over it if I had the TIME.

Ya know I have seen my first Icon recently. One showed up here locally and is living in town. Pretty tall and narrow. Much more so than I thought it would be. Really doesn't look right to me proportions wise being tall and narrow. Also the Icon suspension is nothing to get overly excited about. Simple 3-link, 4-link design using Johnny joints. It is something a guy could buy in kit form for $2-4k and do in his garage. Not what I would expect on a $100k+ truck.

Not sure why everyone thinks it takes huge piles of money to build a nice truck right. Another thread a guy is talking about an engine swap costing $28k!For $5-10k you can buy a rolled diesel 80-series. For another $5-10k you can buy a nice clean stock 80-series. So after spending $10-20k you are still left with $8-18k to do the swap and upgrades. Take a look at the Turn Key website. $15k gets you super sweet v8 with 500hp and it is a brand new motor. For $28k the engine should be over the top not just a stocker swapped in. I am talking a pretty heavily modded up Toyota diesel with lot's of custom work. I should know, I have a diesel like that.

Or for that matter, in the for sale section is a built 80-series with the diesel already in it. A turn key truck ready to go with a lot more than just a diesel swap. Price, $34k.

Cheers

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think they are trying to fill the void left below Icon's high price point. I know for me if you spent as much as an Icon cost, I would never actually use it. It would just be a show piece. These will actually get used.
Yeh, I gotta think this is a basic package... there's no way to build it properly for that kind of coin. Id think someone could take their time and build one for $30-40k but I'd get in line early for that price they won't keep it there long and make money. I think people are going to be disappointed between an Icon and what $50k buys you. There's a reason the Icons cost as much as an exotic sportscar.

doug720

Expedition Leader
There are many people who have so much money and are looking for things to spend some of it on. They are willing to pay a fortune, at least to most of us, for unique "Things!" When that is the case, other people will step in to fill the need of the people with the money...ICON! ICON is selling their creations almost as fast as they can make them, so demand is there, as is the money!

So much money is/has been made in the last few years, the demand for high end products has sky rocketed. That demand has created $35+ million dollar Ferrari's and $100K FJ40's!

Expedition Leader
I have to say that I just don't get these kinds of projects. The fun of driving a 40-series (or a Series Rover, a Scout, old Bronco, etc.) to me is being able to appreciate it for it is, and what it isn't, and still make it do what you need it to do. If you don't enjoy driving old iron with all its limitations, fair enough - but why try to make something newer look like something old? There are tons of cool 80-series builds that stand on their own merits, without trying to look like something they're not. Oh well; I know I'm part of a tiny minority who doesn't care for the idea, and I don't expect any sympathy, just had to get that off my chest.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree. I would rather have a fj45 with a canvas top over the bed, with the original motor. I haven't looked real hard, but isn't something like that darn near impossible to find?
I have to say that I just don't get these kinds of projects. The fun of driving a 40-series (or a Series Rover, a Scout, old Bronco, etc.) to me is being able to appreciate it for it is, and what it isn't, and still make it do what you need it to do. If you don't enjoy driving old iron with all its limitations, fair enough - but why try to make something newer look like something old? There are tons of cool 80-series builds that stand on their own merits, without trying to look like something they're not. Oh well; I know I'm part of a tiny minority who doesn't care for the idea, and I don't expect any sympathy, just had to get that off my chest.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Ya know I have seen my first Icon recently. One showed up here locally and is living in town. Pretty tall and narrow. Much more so than I thought it would be. Really doesn't look right to me proportions wise being tall and narrow. Also the Icon suspension is nothing to get overly excited about. Simple 3-link, 4-link design using Johnny joints. It is something a guy could buy in kit form for $2-4k and do in his garage. Not what I would expect on a $100k+ truck.

Not sure why everyone thinks it takes huge piles of money to build a nice truck right. Another thread a guy is talking about an engine swap costing $28k!For $5-10k you can buy a rolled diesel 80-series. For another $5-10k you can buy a nice clean stock 80-series. So after spending $10-20k you are still left with $8-18k to do the swap and upgrades. Take a look at the Turn Key website. $15k gets you super sweet v8 with 500hp and it is a brand new motor. For $28k the engine should be over the top not just a stocker swapped in. I am talking a pretty heavily modded up Toyota diesel with lot's of custom work. I should know, I have a diesel like that.

Or for that matter, in the for sale section is a built 80-series with the diesel already in it. A turn key truck ready to go with a lot more than just a diesel swap. Price, $34k.

Cheers

I totally agree with you, all I'm saying is that I think most folks who are going to drop that kind of coin are going to be expecting a "new" car. What they are essentially buying is a unique resto-mod, with miles/issues/quirks already existing in the swapped parts. I would prefer to do what you've listed out above, build it myself... honestly I'd love to use the kit Red Line is offering. But I'd like a Vortec motor in it, with 80 series running gear and the 40+ body. I just can't imagine a turn key custom Cruiser at $50k meeting my expectations. If I just wanted a cool 40ish wheeler... maybe, but not for a new car price.

I think they are trying to fill the void left below Icon's high price point. I know for me if you spent as much as an Icon cost, I would never actually use it. It would just be a show piece. These will actually get used.

I agree, the price point is awesome! I sure hope they pull it off, this is what the FJC should have been ;) I'll reiterate that I think once these fall into the hands of good home builders/fabricators will some some sweet rides! The price is great, I just hope it sticks.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor

While I LOVE the classic FJ-40 and hope to have a project truck someday, for our family of 4 (plus 2 dogs) the 40-series just doesn't work if we all want to explore together. The FJC barely works, which is why our main exploring rig right now is the GX 470. I like this type of project because it gives us a unique build that's similar to the Troopy but with 4 doors and a few 'modern' upgrades (disk brakes, more powerful engine, etc). I think if he can hit his $50k price point, it's a real option for some people. For us...it'll be another 4-5 years before we can even think about affording one...but it's nice to dream :)

hakalugi

expoooooo?
Disappointed in the amount of rear overhand makes it a deal breaker if you plan to wheel it

I have spoken with Justin, he says the rendering exaggerates the overhang as it doesn't account for the frame length that is chopped to fit a bumper and said to expect the body to look 5-6" shorter.

hakalugi

expoooooo?
While I LOVE the classic FJ-40 and hope to have a project truck someday, for our family of 4 (plus 2 dogs) the 40-series just doesn't work if we all want to explore together. The FJC barely works, which is why our main exploring rig right now is the GX 470. I like this type of project because it gives us a unique build that's similar to the Troopy but with 4 doors and a few 'modern' upgrades (disk brakes, more powerful engine, etc). I think if he can hit his $50k price point, it's a real option for some people. For us...it'll be another 4-5 years before we can even think about affording one...but it's nice to dream :)

Yup. Family if five here. Have an 80. Wanted an open top 40 but like my kids more. Now best of both worlds: 80 solid axels, coil springs, triple locked, future engine swaps always possible, yet open topped and utilitarian interior with throwback exterior styling.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
One of the latest images from Red Line is featured in our October issue:
http://www.tctmagazine.net/october-2014-volume-7-issue-4/october-2014-volume-7-issue-4

fjute-side-shot-oct-10.jpg

And a quick interview I did with Justin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIZt_XHkwWQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles