4 Door FJ-40 from RedLine Land Cruisers: FJ-UTE

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
So, Red Line Land Cruisers just announced a turn-key $49k 4 Door FJ-40 vehicle.
FJ-UTE-4-Door-FJ40-Land-Cruisers.jpg

Basically, they take an Aqualu Body, a donor 80-series, and build a sweet 4 door 40, for less than the $100k+ FJ-44 from Icon. To me, getting it under $50 for a 'brand new' 40 is key.

If you want do build it, they're offering a kit for $15k, so that's also an option if you already have an 80 and the time for a project like that.

Our initial coverage:
Redline Land Cruisers announces new 4 Door FJ-40: FJ-UTE - Toyota Cruisers & Trucks Magazine | Land Cruiser, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, Toyota Trucks

The Red Line announcement:
The FJ-UTE - 4 Door FJ40 - Taking Orders Now! | Red Line Land Cruisers

Obviously you could built it cheaper (maybe), but for a drive-away option...this seems very intriguing.

Drover

Adventurer
To buy that for $49k, almost seems impossible! Good on them for hitting that price point. I've built quite a few trucks, and it's hard to believe they're making any money.

I would almost think you would have $50k into it yourself , if you bought the kit and did it yourself. Better off buying it done!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The $15k kit seems pretty awesome of an idea to me, even without looking at any details. If that is everything to plop the 4-door 40 on the 80-chassis not bad in my opinion. These days a good 80 can be bought for $3kish. Another $1500 for a 5.3L v8 with a 4L60e. So $20k or there abouts to start building. Add in another $5k for bar work, winch, trans to t-case adapter, FJ60 split case and some other things. All up not bad considering I could probably flip the truck for $35-45k. ;)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh and I recently saw for sale in BC a rolled diesel 80-series for a solid price. Even better to buy that and build the 4-door FJ40 on it.

Cheers

lowenbrau

Explorer
The $15k kit seems pretty awesome of an idea to me, even without looking at any details. If that is everything to plop the 4-door 40 on the 80-chassis not bad in my opinion. These days a good 80 can be bought for $3kish. Another $1500 for a 5.3L v8 with a 4L60e. So $20k or there abouts to start building. Add in another $5k for bar work, winch, trans to t-case adapter, FJ60 split case and some other things. All up not bad considering I could probably flip the truck for $35-45k. ;)

Cheers

I don't think the kit includes...
Hood
Windshield frame
Fenders
Bezel
Grill
Bumpers

Then there is all the interior stuff which is either custom, from a donor 40 series or a fortune to buy new such as gauges, switches, dashpads, seats, seatbelts, consoles, heating/cooling sytem. None of that stuff is going to transfer well from the donor 80.

I can't see making much nmoney on a $35000 flip. I, too am a bit surprised to hear about a turnkey $50,000 rig from Redline. That is a "starting at" price. I'm sure in time we'll see if anyone orders one that way or what the real price will be.

Ramjet

Explorer
I took the survey and the DIY Kit is just body and half doors. You supply the rest. The Finished Ute is the same as the kit but they finish it out with the donor parts from the 80 series, manual transmission, rear locker, etc. You can customize it as you see fit, but it will cost you more.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Aqualu had the 4dr body at the EJS vendor show this last weekend. Very neat looking and I'm excited to see the many different faces they will take :cool:

Attachments

• 4_door_aqualu.jpg
    4_door_aqualu.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 128

reldred

Observer
That's neat! I had a work colleague who was into his Mini's and I was insanely jealous at the amount of cool stuff that lot had made, this just blows me away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles