4-Door 6' Bed Options

PHeller

Adventurer
I've been researching like mad to try and determine is there is a 4-door, 6' bed equipped truck that might have a shorter wheelbase (at least among 4-door trucks).

So far in the mid-size category I've only seen the Frontier CC/LB (1st Gen 131"WB) (2nd Gen 140") the Tacoma Dbl Long (141"WB).

Are there any shorter wheelbase trucks that offer 4 doors, good rear seating for an adult, and a 6' bed that aren't huge? Or maybe a full-size truck with comfortable extended cab that is surprisingly short that I'm missing?

eNVe

The new Colorado/Canyons are available with crew cab (4 doors) and long bed (6' 2"). Literature says 140.5" wheelbase. You can get it with either a 3.6L v6 gasser or 2.8L I4 Duramax diesel.

Most full size pickups are available with shortbox options of 5.5' to 6.5' when in crew cab form.

A lot of trucks designed for crew cabs and short beds are usually sitting on a standard cab long bed frame. It helps with costs.

PHeller

Adventurer
2000-2004 Super Duty with Supercab (technically four doors) I think a shortbed would be 6.7 or there abouts?

Would a Supercab rear bench really be all that comfortable though?

That's my worry with the 1st Gen Frontier, those rear seats were tiny.

PHeller

Adventurer
A lot of trucks designed for crew cabs and short beds are usually sitting on a standard cab long bed frame. It helps with costs.

Which is kinda the problem. Even though most would consider a 6' bed as a "short', I'd consider it a standard length, and it what I want. I don't want a short bed or anything less than 6' due to want to sleep in the bed.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It is a bit crazy how they set up trucks these days, it wasn't so long ago that if a truck didn't have an 8 foot bed it wasn't considered very "manly". I personally have to laugh and wonder whenever I see these full-size "trucks" with tiny beds and question WTH is it good for if you can't even throw a shell/topper on and actually sleep in the back? Might as well have just bought a dang SUV if you don't actually use the bed of the truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I know they aren't made anymore but IMO there's no better option than the Avalanche. Seating for 4 + 8' bed capacity (though not at the same time - it's one or the other at any given moment.) All on the same 130" wheelbase as a Suburban.
And yeah, I think it's funny how it used to be that 6' was considered a minimum bed size but now there are lots of trucks - even full sized - that have 5' beds.

PHeller

Adventurer
While the Avalanche does have the pass through, I'm wanting to put a big cap on the back so I can practically stand up (more like kneel) or store a bicycles with both wheels on standing straight up in the bed.

I've kinda had my heart set on a tall utility shell similar to Leer or ARE.

TUNDRA_DC_WORKMATE_003.285154800_large.jpg

f0a1d13230c9884b6a92dd425ce93c23.jpg

I'm not opposed to a full size if I can find one with a shorter wheelbase and comfortable (for adults) back seat. I want to take my friends on adventures.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Bang for the buck the f150 crew cab with the 6.5 ft bed is hard to beat, but as with any other crew cab with a longer bed it will not have a short wheelbase, that is just physics plain and simple.

malibubts

Adventurer
Bang for the buck the f150 crew cab with the 6.5 ft bed is hard to beat, but as with any other crew cab with a longer bed it will not have a short wheelbase, that is just physics plain and simple.

Ram also has a CC with a 6'4" bed. Wheelbase is 149". It's a big truck no doubt, but a great combo IMO.

eNVe

Is there a specific wheelbase that you are restricting yourself to? What is your basis for your requirements?

You ask about a backseat that fits an adult comfortably, but that depends on the adult. My wife is 4'10", and fit in the back seat of my 2005 Canyon crew cab very comfortably. I (6'0" and 200#) would fit, but the front seats had to be moved forward. My buddy (6'2" and 320#) was only comfortable in the front passenger seat with the seat all the way back.

From my experience, Ford full size crew cabs tend to have the best back seats. Ram MegaCabs and Tundra CrewMax also have huge back seats. Your bigger adults are almost always going to be more comfortable in the back seat of a full size crew cab (any brand) than a mid size or mini truck. Also, the HD series trucks have larger cabs (on average) than the light/medium duty series trucks. I.e. F250/F350 is larger than F150.

You will have to make a compromise somewhere, so, what do you really want?

verdesardog

Explorer
I love my big Cummins powered Dodge 2500 4x4. Before this truck I had a 1994 Dakota extended cab. Only 2 doors and the back seats were really no good for passengers. My big dodge seats 5 comfortably, has the same size bed as the Dakota 6.5) and gets about the same fuel mileage. The Big truck has an automatic trans which did a bit of getting used to. After 5 years of driving this truck I still occasionally find myself trying to push in the non existent clutch and trying to find the gearshift LOL.
Because it's a big truck it does have lots of Arizona pin striping.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ram also has a CC with a 6'4" bed. Wheelbase is 149". It's a big truck no doubt, but a great combo IMO.

Except it's a Dodge, the F150 with eco boost is a far better quality product with better resale value. Dodge has always had this habit of packing a great engine into a chassis that is inferior to the engine, they have done a bit better lately with their interiors but still not on par with GM or Ford.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I love my big Cummins powered Dodge 2500 4x4. Before this truck I had a 1994 Dakota extended cab. Only 2 doors and the back seats were really no good for passengers. My big dodge seats 5 comfortably, has the same size bed as the Dakota 6.5) and gets about the same fuel mileage. The Big truck has an automatic trans which did a bit of getting used to. After 5 years of driving this truck I still occasionally find myself trying to push in the non existent clutch and trying to find the gearshift LOL.
Because it's a big truck it does have lots of Arizona pin striping.

I totally can relate, sold my diesel Silverado with manual trans a few weeks ago and replaced it with a Yukon 2500, still can't get used to the automatic and will be even weirder when I go to tow the boat come spring.

malibubts

Adventurer
Except it's a Dodge, the F150 with eco boost is a far better quality product with better resale value. Dodge has always had this habit of packing a great engine into a chassis that is inferior to the engine, they have done a bit better lately with their interiors but still not on par with GM or Ford.
I am extremely happy with my Ram. No manufacturer is without their own problems and nowadays I think all the big players are on a pretty level playing field. But to each their own.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94