4 cyl. Tacos?

ADVNOMAD

Looking to design an expo platform as we move into retirement. Mostly highway with weekend two track forest service road expeditions. An older but still reliable second vehicle. Like the second & 3rd gen TACOMA. Had a great 1st gen dbl cab 4x4 TRD that I got burned on the frame issue. Can’t really afford or justify the expense of a new Taco. Vehicle would be used to travel 20-30 day cross country excursions with weekends spent semi remote camping.

I see some great prices on low mileage 4cyl. access cabs, which we really like the access cab idea. What is everybody’s idea on the Taco 4 cylinder? Obvious pluses of Mpg and maintenance ok. But how about highway and general off-road use? Or hauling camping gear. Adequate or severely lacking?

Would value your opinion.

Last edited:

SBDuller

I'm glad I have a second gen V6 that I carry a good size camping load with. I also have a trusted 2.7L 4cyl 1998 4x4. its a very perky engine. I would not load it up like I do the V6. I have carried a half-yard of gravel for a short distance and the engine is fine with that, but the frame and bed supports and suspension are wimpy. I'd personally skip third gens, but a used second gen with a 2.7L engine might be just fine. I'd explore the access cab 4X4 2.7L to see if it fits your needs. The lightest platform possible would be best..tent camping! Another thing, the 4 cyl '98 has a manual trans, auto is a no.

D

Deleted member 9101

So long as you are ok with being slow when the truck is loaded down its not a bad idea.

phsycle

Adventurer
I’m not sure where you live but in a mountainous area, it’ll struggle. I remember my friend’s having to downshift to 2nd or 3rd almost bouncing off the rev limiter trying to keep up with traffic going up high elevation passes. Of course, if you’re looking for an auto, it’ll be even worse.

The engine itself is solid though. It’s a workhorse. If you get one, keep it light. Minimalist approach is key.

Look at 4th gen 4Runners as well. Pricing seems to be very good on those. And the 4.0 V6 will be much better for highway travels. You can fold down the seats (remove the rear seats) to sleep back there.

ADVNOMAD

Is there any known issues with the 4th gen 4Runner FRAME as with the 1st gen Tacos. I know the 4Runner has a good overland reputation though.

phsycle

Adventurer
Is there any known issues with the 4th gen 4Runner FRAME as with the 1st gen Tacos. I know the 4Runner has a good overland reputation though.

Nope. No known issues. Of course, trucks from the rust belt are more prone to rust, so watch for that (with any vehicle).

TacoBrandt72

I’m currently daily driving a ‘09 RC, 2.7/5spd, stock suspension, 245/75-16 tires, 4.11 gears. I get around 19.5-20.5mpg, about 1/2 highway driving @ 70-75mph, 1/2 local surface roads, very little city use. It will comfortably pull from 1,100rpm rolling and really wakes up above 4,000rpm when the VVT-i changes over, so don’t be afraid to let it rev if you need to merge into traffic, etc.
It is a gear drive for the valve train (no 22R chain to stretch/guides to wear) that my local dealer says is good to 300k (I’m at 140k currently).
I’m happy with the torque down low but I do think the truck would be happier running 4.56 gears. I’m planning about 2” of lift, mounting either 255/85-16s on the OEM 16x7 steels or 285/75-16s on 16x8 forged aluminum wheels (32.8-33” tall) and putting 4.88s in the axles (4.56 would be close to stock rpm vs. road speed).
I agree with keeping your overall package lightweight. My max payload is 1340 pounds so I’m leaning towards a GoFast Wedge Camper (or fabbing something similar). Think like a backpacker, your Taco will thank you and I think the performance would be satisfactory for you. It’ll also mean less unnecessary clutter to weigh you down mentally.
Good luck on the retirement project, sounds like a fun idea.

ADVNOMAD

Boy, I never considered the 4RNR but your right, there are some good prices out there compared to Taco 4dr’s especially. Actually am designing a load based on the 4RNR to see if it is doable. One thing that stands out is the the more refined daily drive when not traveling. I’ll have to spend some time researching builds on here. Looking at “very” light mods for our needs- Ground clearance, recovery, Oztent, & pullout kitchen capacity.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
4 runner may be your ticket but the Tacoma Access cab 4cyl is a great truck, depending on where you live. If I didn't plan on 80MPH freeways for hours on end it would be perfect but there are a lot of high speed freeways and wind in the west that make the little 4 banger struggle. I had a 4cyl 5speed 2011 4X4 for 80k miles and would love to have it again.....but I was living in a windy area with long stretches of 80mph+ freeways and just got sick of spinning the old girl out. I never had issues with where it would go, the load it would carry, and it was reliable as can be. It is slow up a hill with a trailer but it gets there.

roving1

I would say it's totally possible but you really need a manual in this case to not have the lack of power be annoying. Toyotas trans gearing in their autos is atrocious and it's that much worse in a 4cyl. Also plan on regearing diffs immediately even with relatively small 31-32" tires. That will keep you able to hold 5th a lot more often up grades and will keep the truck fun to drive without laboring.

I can trundle along at 73MPH quite well in this configuration. Blitzing up to 80+ for passing is fine I just don't cruise there due to my aero signature. The picture with all the totes I was stuck with work stuff from a project in Mexico that ended and I would up having to haul stuff back home I was not expecting. Easily 2000lbs of stuff in there and drove from Mexico back to Detroit via Copper Canyon and AZ with no issues. Also driven from MI to Montana only having to grab 4th maybe once or twice. Something like Colorado for sure you will be in 3rd gear putzing up the pass but it's managable enough.PANO_20190103_154942.jpgScreenshot_20200410-032910_Photos.jpg

shmabs

Explorer
"Adequate or severely lacking" will always comes down to personal preference. Opinions can be asked for and given all day long, but at the end of the day, its your preference and your decision. Everyone has different ideas of what is acceptable.

I've spent some time behind the wheel of a 2nd gen 4cyl 5 speed regular on 265/76/16 (load range C) and I found the truck pretty enjoyable to drive. As others have mentioned, gearing and weight are more important with these trucks than with their 4.0 powered counterparts.

For what its worth, it was a good friends truck mentioned above, and with a camper shell and some gear in the back, the mpg difference between his truck and my 4th gen 4runner (255/75/17's, 4.10 gears, 4.0 v6, auto) quickly narrowed.

Go drive one, get to know it and see if you can live with it. The 2.7 is a fantastic motor, you just have to know and respect it's limits; its so happy to rev and makes its power up there.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I have a 2012 Tacoma 4x4 5 speed regular cab, 2.7 with 160k on the clock
This truck is putting out similar power numbers the older v6's from toyota and others. " power" is more than fine.

I live at 5,000 feet in the mountains of Idaho. This truck has been north and south east and west on almost every route possible on this side of the rockies since owning it. Speed limit on the highways out here is 80, secondary roads is 65. There has only been a hand full of times on a few passes that I really wish I had more power. With that being said, The truck will hold 55 to 60 just fine if you use the gears.
Acceleration between the 4.0 and 2.6 in a manual from 0-60 I find is not all that much different.

I use my truck, like a truck. It hauls and tows fire wood dirt bikes and boats in the summer and snowmachines in the winter.
Took the truck from Salt lake city to north idaho pulling at least 3,500 lbs, and regularly tow that much up and down the dirt FS roads out here getting fuel wood.
Short wheel base and lack of trailer brakes are the only real issues. It handled an 18 foot run about boat with a 90 horse no problem.

When not towing stuff around between the ARE topper tools and supplies I would guess that there is close to 500 pounds in the back for most of the year. Come winter, I toss in a few hundred extra pounds of sand bags over the rear axel.
zero problems. Is it fast? no, not really. But it is not bad. I have loaded up camping gear for two people and slept in the back with two dogs plenty of times. Zero weight issues.

Truck does have an upgraded suspension and is currently running on 235/85/16 winter tires. The tires, more then anything else has drained the zip of the truck. till recently I had a four hour each way commute over several mountain passes that I had to do several times a week. Going from the stock 245 tires slowed the biggest of the long slow climbs down a bit and made me go from 4th to 3ed gear on those 7 percent 8 mile long hills. Again, truck will hold 55 no problem in third and easily zips up to 65 when you rev it over 4k

Prior to the taller skinny tires and suspension upgrade I averaged 21-23 mpg depending on time of the year
After the suspension it dropped t0 19-21
suspension + tires im at 18-19 on that long commute but winter tires, winter gas, cold temps, lots of hills = more gas burned. If I keep it at 65 it gets 20 all day long even with the tires, the sand, and all of the other weight.

Short of pulling an RV that is over 20 feet or winning drag races the tacoma 2.7 will do anything you ask of it with in reason. aside from the regular reccomended stuff the only thing I have had to do in the last 160 k was a surpinetine belt around 100k and the front brake pads at 135k.

It is a cheap simple motor to run and take care of. the second gen 5 speed 4x4 2.7 tacos are damn good trucks. I wish I had gotten an access cab back in 2012 but the regular cab is really awesome. Just tight on space.

Fishenough

Creeper
Quick 2 bits.... I bought a imported Hilux Surf a earlier this year, with idea to drive it for month and determine if it will suit as our backroad exploring and camping vehicle. We hike, and last year I found riding the KLR 50 kms 2 up over abandoned logging roads after hiking in the mountains for 8-9 hours, I need an hour to let recover properly for safe riding (53 years young). We have decided to keep the Surf/4runner with its 2.7 happily. I'd drive it to the Arctic ocean tomorrow. I did have a 16 Tacoma V6 for 2 years as a work truck, more power for sure and that truck was always un loaded, but despite being a nice engine as others reported it does hunt rpm on long highway drives. Unrelated but the 2001 Surf which I've put in new shocks and front springs has a much better ride than the 2016 Taco... Which of course was so much more modern. All a balance I am happy with the surf for now, it was a steal at the Japanese auctions. With new tires, under parts, and fluids I'm still a little under $5 k Cdn. My work truck was worth a lot at 2 years and maybe if it had been a TRD I would have bought it back. Oh mileage is a little better with the 2001 2.7, not much maybe 50 kms more on backroads with the same fillup.
2cb6ac34a9f56a231897a687f14e45b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

billiebob

What is everybody’s idea on the Taco 4 cylinder?
Fabulous vehicle if you never travel the Interstates. More than capable for secondary highways and forestry roads. Pack light, don't do any redundancy things. Keep the vehicle well maintained so all you'll need for spares is the tire. Keep it light and compact. Use back packer gear. Keep it stock.

These were a dime a dozen in the 1980s, they worked cuz they were incredibly light weight.

Take a change of clothes and the food you need for a week.

1977_findlay-oh-500x375.jpg

Last edited:

Nessmuk

I own a 2015 2.7 5sp. I tow this trailer over to the highest point in WV on a regular basis from central Virginia. If you know Routes 33 or 250 those are the roads I drive. This truck (and my previous 98 regular cab) has no problem towing it (approx. 2500 pounds loaded). I may not charge up the hills, but I can go as fast as you would safely want to haul a trailer. I have never had issues on the highway either and I do quite a bit of long distance driving. I sold my 98 with 200K miles and never had a bit of trouble with it. That sold me on the new 2tr-fe.
7FD1AD74-599E-49B0-BE29-91DA3FCCD30F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke