4 cyl. Tacos?

roving1

Fabulous vehicle if you never travel the Interstates. More than capable for secondary highways and forestry roads. Pack light, don't do any redundancy things. Keep the vehicle well maintained so all you'll need for spares is the tire. Keep it light and compact. Use back packer gear. Keep it stock.

LOL get out of here with that. An 80's 22RE with an RV body attached is in no way relatable to any gen 4 cyl Taco. A first gen reg cab 4 cylinder has a payload of 1800 pounds which is Gladiator territory these days because it's so much lighter than any other version.

You don't have to pack absurdly light and its so "terrible" on the freeway I have driven loaded to the max From Detroit to Saltillo Mexico-1600 miles in 36 hours, Red Lodge Montana to Detroit-1600 miles in 36 hours and Toluca Mexico to Detroit-2300 miles in 2.5 days. Those are just trips I had a time pressure let alone many other multi thousand mile freeway trips I took at a more relaxed pace. I guess I am doing the never travel the interstates at 70+MPH part wrong :unsure:.

Last edited:

billiebob

LOL get out of here with that. An 80's 22RE with an RV body attached is in no way relatable to any gen 4 cyl Taco. A first gen reg cab 4 cylinder has a payload of 1800 pounds which is Gladiator territory these days because it's so much lighter than any other version.

You don't have to pack absurdly light and its so "terrible" on the freeway I have driven loaded to the max From Detroit to Saltillo Mexico-1600 miles in 36 hours, Red Lodge Montana to Detroit-1600 miles in 36 hours and Toluca Mexico to Detroit-2300 miles in 2.5 days. Those are just trips I had a time pressure let alone many other multi thousand mile freeway trips I took at a more relaxed pace. I guess I am doing the never travel the interstates at 70+MPH part wrong :unsure:.
Hey, me too I grew up with 4 cylinder pickups. A masochist can do anything. In light of the question, the 4 cyl Taco is not an Interstate cruiser. But it is a fabulous 4x4. AND yes, 4 cylinder Tacos thrive on light weight, remote accessability. Just sayin' the Taco is a fabulous rural roads runner. Me too, Ive driven a Cortina across Canada and a Super Seven 1200 miles in a day. But it wasn't because it was the best choice.

DSC_0004.jpg

Heck I often commute 500 miles thru BC and Alberta in a TJR. I love it thru BCs 2 lane black top but it is painful on the 4 lane from Banff to Edmonton. Reality. Some people do it on bicycles.

Last edited:

roving1

Hey, me too I grew up with 4 cylinder pickups. A masochist can do anything. In light of the question, the 4 cyl Taco is not an Interstate cruiser. But it is a fabulous 4x4. AND yes, 4 cylinder Tacos thrive on light weight, remote accessability. Just sayin' the Taco is a fabulous rural roads runner. Me too, Ive driven a Cortina across Canada and a Super Seven 1200 miles in a day. But it wasn't because it was the best choice.

View attachment 592370

Heck I often commute 500 miles thru BC and Alberta in a TJR. I love it thru BCs 2 lane black top but it is painful on the 4 lane from Banff to Edmonton. Reality. Some people do it on bicycles.

A 3RZ Taco has 41% more power than a 22RE and cruising along with the cruise control on while sipping coffee is hardy masochism. I'm not claiming its a Buick but implying you need to avoid freeways is silly.

Nice 7. I was supposed to drive a nice rally Cortina once but it got wrapped around a tree on a practice stage before I had my turn. :(

billiebob

A 3RZ Taco has 41% more power than a 22RE and cruising along with the cruise control on while sipping coffee is hardy masochism. I'm not claiming its a Buick but implying you need to avoid freeways is silly.

Nice 7. I was supposed to drive a nice rally Cortina once but it got wrapped around a tree on a practice stage before I had my turn. :(
Ok sorry for spoiling the party but just like I'd crap all over taking a diesel dually up the Rubicon, no 4 cylinder Taco was intended, ie designed to to be a freeway flyer. Not looking to argue, just saying I don't think Toyota said, let's design an Interstate flyer and ended up with the 4 cylinder Tacoma.

It excels on forestry roads.

Actually, that pic of a "C-Class ?" RV with a 22RE is a huge selling point for every 4cylinder Toyota. But the Taco with 4 cylinders NEEDS to be kept light weight. You need to pack like a back packer. If you think you might haul more than you need the V6. Even with that 22RE RV you packed plastic utensils and minimal clothing. And you never packed tools or spare parts or recovery stuff.

Last edited:

roving1

But the Taco with 4 cylinders NEEDS to be kept light weight. You need to pack like a back packer. If you think you might haul more than you need the V6.

Dude what are you talking about? Seriously? I'm not trying to argue but you just keep making stuff up. What you are saying is just not accurate. On a 1st gen for instance the payload for a regular cab 4cy 4wd is 1775 lbs and a double cab V6 4WD is 1360. Yes the V6 has more power but that has nothing to do with the payload so it is actually capable of carrying LESS of a load then the 4cylinder. The payload is graduated in steps between cab size, engine, and manual vs auto since the auto weighs a little more. The GVWR is 5100 for a first gen everything 4WD and the payload just keeps going down and down the heavier the curb weight is. The towing capacity is even the same at 3500lbs between all the models unless you get the tow package on the V6 which bumps it up to 5K.

Yes if you put an 800-1000 lb camper in one of these things it's super sketchy but that really has nothing to do with what you are talking about with this ridiculous backpacker spec and 4cyl vs V6 you keep bringing up.

I have personal experience and a real example of a not light Tacoma doing things you say are not possible, not easy, or masochism. You don't even seem to have driven a 4cyl Tacoma only 80's Pre-Tacoma trucks so I am not even sure why you keep persisting to have relevant first hand experience?

double.jpgreg.jpg

Nessmuk

I have 100,231 miles on my 2015 5speed right now. About 2/3 of those miles have been interstate travel all over the eastern US and Canada. Never once have I had a problem keeping up with traffic. I have often found myself having to slow down.

JMick

I had a '95 T-100 ext cab 4x4 with a 3.4 v6 5spd, how would a '07 Tacoma ext cab with the 2.7 5spd compare?

NVLOC

Observer
I had a '95 T-100 ext cab 4x4 with a 3.4 v6 5spd, how would a '07 Tacoma ext cab with the 2.7 5spd compare?

I've had a 2010 2.7 5spd Extra cab. Have had three 3.4L in 2001 Tacoma, 1998 4runner and current 1998 Extra cab T100. The 2.7 does not compare. Less torque, less power. In my experience driving Western Canada and the US for the past fifteen years in the vehicles above, the 3.4 is a better motor - on and off road. I'm a slow and steady kind of driver, my trucks are not overloaded, I practice mechanical sympathy and don't feel the need to be going in excess of 100km/h most days. You couldn't pay me to own a 2.7 again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94