4 Cyl 5 Speed Tacoma: Has anybody regretted getting 265/75R16 tires?

p nut

butter
Should of elaborated. If I was "forced" to go auto...might as well get a fullsize truck. At that price point, you can get a regular cab with a V8. Tundra is off the table since its poor mileage. Which leaves the domestics. I simply do not trust them out of warranty. Blame having stellar luck with Toyotas over the past 25 years.

Meh, I think the auto industry is vastly different than 25, even 15 years ago. I see an equalization in the industry, as auto manufacturers source parts from same suppliers, acquire engineers/designers/etc. from the same talent pool, etc. Design, reliability (etc) gap has been shrinking more and more. This is the reason why I didn't feel too bad about going domestic this time around. Still, there are differences, and I do think Toyota has better chance of longevity than other manufacturers, but not as much as they used to. I fully expect to see 100k miles without many issues, none of which concern the transmission or the turbo'd engine (knock on wood). And since I'm on pace for 12k miles per year, it should last me a while. Hopefully. :)

I have been trying, I swing by the dealer every couple months to buy an oil filter, never have any SR's when I am there...can't seem to get the timing right. Like usual I am not in a huge hurry, so I don't put too much effort in seeking one out.

A SR with pest control equipment in the bed, did blow past me on the way home from work last night, so they will truck down the highway... :)

To get a new version of what I already have (Tacoma, with front coil-overs, OME rear, ARB winch bumper, and a Wildernest)...even going super basic it is going to cost me nearly $40K, think I am having a hard time with it. Seems like a lot of coin just to go sleep in the dirt. Same price gets ya a 3/4 ton domestic RCLB with a shell FWC Granby, and 400+ ft lbs of torque to boot...

We've talked about this before, but plenty of 03-04 Tacoma's with low miles out there! Just swap all parts over from the old truck.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I have been trying, I swing by the dealer every couple months to buy an oil filter, never have any SR's when I am there...can't seem to get the timing right. Like usual I am not in a huge hurry, so I don't put too much effort in seeking one out.

A SR with pest control equipment in the bed, did blow past me on the way home from work last night, so they will truck down the highway... :)

To get a new version of what I already have (Tacoma, with front coil-overs, OME rear, ARB winch bumper, and a Wildernest)...even going super basic it is going to cost me nearly $40K, think I am having a hard time with it. Seems like a lot of coin just to go sleep in the dirt. When did car camping get so expensive? :D Remember when it was cheap...and that is what you did because you were too broke to go on a "real vacation" ....ha!

Heck, $40K gets you a 3/4 ton domestic, with a shell FWC Granby, and maybe a heater! Have looking at the AT Habitat...nice and all, and I know those guys need to make money...but damn $10K for a glorified tent when everything is said and done. Geez that is a brand new Husky 701!

lol you're going to keep driving your old truck with your old gear and whining about the cost of the new stuff.......just like me :coffeedrink:.

The domestics make a very very strong argument these days....especially in base v6 4x4 trim.

The market is really ripe for the return of the wildernest.

Clutch

<---Pass
Meh, I think the auto industry is vastly different than 25, even 15 years ago. I see an equalization in the industry, as auto manufacturers source parts from same suppliers, acquire engineers/designers/etc. from the same talent pool, etc. Design, reliability (etc) gap has been shrinking more and more. This is the reason why I didn't feel too bad about going domestic this time around. Still, there are differences, and I do think Toyota has better chance of longevity than other manufacturers, but not as much as they used to. I fully expect to see 100k miles without many issues, none of which concern the transmission or the turbo'd engine (knock on wood). And since I'm on pace for 12k miles per year, it should last me a while. Hopefully. :)

I agree with you, the reliability gap has closed a bit...though my buddy's Ram 2500 2WD that he bought new, never offroad, nor pulled anything super heavy) auto trans went out at 70,000 miles.

Think up to 100,000 most of the domestics are fine.

I was going to ditch my Tacoma at 100,000...then it kept going to 200,000...man, I should really think about getting rid of it, then it kept on going...now sitting at 330,000. Real hard to leave the brand with that under my belt. If you know what I mean.

Maybe if there was a manual trans available in the 1/2 tons...maybe. I just never had any luck with autos. My Trooper is going to cost me $3-5000 to fix...have the cash to do it, but don't want to, since I don't like the vehicle.

We've talked about this before, but plenty of 03-04 Tacoma's with low miles out there! Just swap all parts over from the old truck.

That seems like the most logical choice. As nothing from mine would fit on a 05+. Plus they have everything I want, manual trans, manual t-case, livable mpg, perfer the size of it over the 2nd and 3rd gens. have a 5X8 trailer for it as well, which acts as my fullsize truck bed. Another member on here found a place to make new tents for the Wildernest. I have $700 into mine now (which is in amazingly great shape)...another $1200 gets me a new tent which will do the same thing as $10K AT Habitat.

Don't we always come to that conclusion with my BS deductive reasoning? :D

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I agree with you, the reliability gap has closed a bit...though my buddy's Ram 2500 2WD that he bought new, never offroad, nor pulled anything super heavy) auto trans went out at 70,000 miles.

Forgot the asterisks: ** Chrysler products excluded.

:victory:

Clutch

<---Pass
lol you're going to keep driving your old truck with your old gear and whining about the cost of the new stuff.......just like me :coffeedrink:.

The domestics make a very very strong argument these days....especially in base v6 4x4 trim.

The market is really ripe for the return of the wildernest.

I have turned into my grandfather...he was a cheap old SOB! Blame growing up in a family business....have had my own business for the past...I dunno...15 years(?) can't remember exactly.... see every single penny spent. Like to pay cash for everything....most just see the monthly payment with vehicle purchases...I see it as a big chunk that will vaporize from the bank account.

Yeah, the domestic 1/2 with a V6 seems like the best deal out there. Towing is around 7500#...but they all have a damn automatic trans.

Why Toyota refuses to put a V6 manual in a ACLB SR is beyond me...hate those packages and buying stuff I don't need. That is the thing with them all, isn't it...they make their money on BS packages and 8 year loans....on an object that is going to loose money as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Market is ripe for a $4-5000 Wildernest. Not sure why one of the big topper companies haven't done anything yet. I know AT is a small company...so they need to charge more to recoup their cost(s)...I am business owner I get it. $10K is more than I want to spend though.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Forgot the asterisks: ** Chrysler products excluded.

:victory:

Ha ha! He traded in on a Chevy...then broke that...now back to a 1/2 ton Ram....seems like he gets a new truck every two years. I asked him...why don't you just get a Toyota? Think he is like most Americans...gets bored and wants something new every couple years. Auto industry loves those kind of people...and hates cheap dirt bags like me. ;)

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I have turned into my grandfather...he was a cheap old SOB! Blame growing up in a family business....have had my own business for the past...I dunno...15 years(?) can't remember exactly.... see every single penny spent. Like to pay cash for everything....most just see the monthly payment with vehicle purchases...I see it as a big chunk that will vaporize from the bank account.

Yeah, the domestic 1/2 with a V6 seems like the best deal out there. Towing is around 7500#...but they all have a damn automatic trans.

Why Toyota refuses to put a V6 manual in a ACLB SR is beyond me...hate those packages and buying stuff I don't need. That is the thing with them all, isn't it...they make their money on BS packages and 8 year loans....on an object that is going to loose money as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Market is ripe for a $4-5000 Wildernest. Not sure why one of the big topper companies haven't done anything yet. I know AT is a small company...so they need to charge more to recoup their cost(s)...I am business owner I get it. $10K is more than I want to spend though.

Bingo. Car companies are in the "value added" luxury, finance, and service/parts industry. Base models barely break even at the point of sale.

The 6 speed manual in the Taco stinks, the 5 speed manual is much more like the Toyota of old.

What I would love to see is a small factory low boost turbo on the 2trfe.

You can also find a new 4x4 Frontier for around 22-24k if you cast a wide net.

Clutch

<---Pass
Bingo. Car companies are in the "value added" luxury, finance, and service/parts industry. Base models barely break even at the point of sale.

The 6 speed manual in the Taco stinks, the 5 speed manual is much more like the Toyota of old.

What I would love to see is a small factory low boost turbo on the 2trfe.

You can also find a new 4x4 Frontier for around 22-24k if you cast a wide net.

What ever happened to the basic work truck...even the dirt bag contractor white models have a ton of options on it.

That is the other reason I have been looking at the SR 4 slug...because of the 5 speed. The whole truck is pretty bomber...it is just slow. Toss an orange AG triangle on the tailgate and call it good...then run the sucker up to 300,000 miles over the next 15 years.

:sombrero:

smv-triangle-small.jpg

The Nissans aren't too horrible...some reason...never bee too much of a fan...might be my Toyota blinders though...

Small turbo would be ok, rather just have a normally aspirated V6. Have been reading about this super charged 2.7 on TW....kills the budget...and blows my K.I.S.S. ideology out of the water...I like to try and keep it mostly stock with a decent set of AT tires, and that is about it. Run the stock suspension until it is clapped out then replace it with something better.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/n0rths-tacoma-build.114291/

Me, I would of stopped right here...but a lot of guys like to keep on going with their builds, it is like a pissing contest of who can spend the most money to go sleep in the dirt. :D

2010AK012.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I was going to mention looking at Fleet vehicles, as a friend of mine got a Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, single-cab, 8' bed, black non-painted bumpers, manual windows, etc. for a good price (can't remember). But looks like Toyota's offerings will not interest you.

https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/fleet/tacoma.htm

_
Something like this truck, but I think it had black steel wheels and a longer bed.
2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Work-Truck-placement.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I was going to mention looking at Fleet vehicles, as a friend of mine got a Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, single-cab, 8' bed, black non-painted bumpers, manual windows, etc. for a good price (can't remember). But looks like Toyota's offerings will not interest you.

https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/fleet/tacoma.htm

_
Something like this truck, but I think it had black steel wheels and a longer bed.
2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Work-Truck-placement.jpg

Believe my buddy got his RCSB Ram for under $20K...great price!

I am seeing SR 4cyl/MT with the utility package for $23K and some change....so maybe $25K OTD.

Oh...I think living through the...errr....shall I say barely surviving the housing crash....and now having a little squirreled away, this blue collar dirt bag doesn't really don't want to spend any money at all. Market is starting to pick up a bit, maybe a little too quick...is another crash 5 or so years away??? Dunno....super gun shy.

I should probably quit BSing with ya'll, and crawl back in my hole. ;)

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
FWIW, I drive a 3RZ Prado with D load 265/75's and it drives pretty well.

Two friends of mine drive 2TR Hiluxes, very similar to your Tacoma, both running 265/75 E load tires and they move quite well..

Clutch

<---Pass
FWIW, I drive a 3RZ Prado with D load 265/75's and it drives pretty well.

Two friends of mine drive 2TR Hiluxes, very similar to your Tacoma, both running 265/75 E load tires and they move quite well..

I think it is all perception...majority of Americans want to be flying down the interstate loaded down at 85 mph, and maintain that speed over mountain passes. Where if we were just to simply slow down and enjoy the view...I am sure the 2.7 will be fine.

It's the whole bigger & faster is better mentality we have here.

Not sure why everyone is in a hurry...my guess is that they have to poop...cause when I have to poop I am in hurry.... :elkgrin:

p nut

butter
...That seems like the most logical choice. As nothing from mine would fit on a 05+. Plus they have everything I want, manual trans, manual t-case, livable mpg, perfer the size of it over the 2nd and 3rd gens. have a 5X8 trailer for it as well, which acts as my fullsize truck bed. Another member on here found a place to make new tents for the Wildernest. I have $700 into mine now (which is in amazingly great shape)...another $1200 gets me a new tent which will do the same thing as $10K AT Habitat.

Don't we always come to that conclusion with my BS deductive reasoning? :D

Thinking about this yesterday, one thing that would draw me to a new(er) truck--safety. I don't think the older Tacoma's fair well compared to the new ones. Safety is a concern not only for my family, but as someone that also spends time on 2 wheels (I pedal mine, though :)), I want to make sure I keep all of my appendages in tact. Check out some of those IIHC crash test videos. I don't want my front wheel sitting in my lap after an accident. :D Which is the other reason why I went with a truck that was rated #1 in safety in its class. Even if it costs $20k more, it's nothing compared to hospital bills and/or compromise to your health. Something to think about. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Thinking about this yesterday, one thing that would draw me to a new(er) truck--safety. I don't think the older Tacoma's fair well compared to the new ones. Safety is a concern not only for my family, but as someone that also spends time on 2 wheels (I pedal mine, though :)), I want to make sure I keep all of my appendages in tact. Check out some of those IIHC crash test videos. I don't want my front wheel sitting in my lap after an accident. :D Which is the other reason why I went with a truck that was rated #1 in safety in its class. Even if it costs $20k more, it's nothing compared to hospital bills and/or compromise to your health. Something to think about. :)

That is a concern too. Buddy of mine was in a head-on in a brand new F-150, he and his wife...while didn't get away unscathed, they did survive... the other driver who was at fault, wasn't so lucky. A lot...I mean a lot of semi's here and 3/4-1 ton pickups on my work commute. Even though I don't care for them...I have flirted with the idea of getting a Subaru...she said no, she rather have me in a bigger truck.

Who knows...fullsize might win the end...get a hell of a lot truck for the money. If you bump the budget up to $28K from $25K...that extra $3K...gets you quite a bit compared to a Tacoma....even staying at the $25K and under budget still gets you a lot of truck compared the Taco. I just need to get over my manual trans fetish. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles