4.88 or 5.29's

highlux

Observer
I am in a similar boat with Brian. I have a 2.8D with 5 speed and 5.29s. I used to have 35x12.50s, and that was great for highway mileage, but not so much power.:( I want to "downgrade" to a +/-34x10 tire, but for now I have 31s. Trying to decide on what tires and between keeping the 5.29, or going to 4.88. Don't really want to have to get swampers for such a different siz so I am really liking the 255/85 size the more I read about it...but will have to spring for new 16s then.

oly884

SOAZ said:
Okay, so a marlin will of course give you the ultra low gearing when you're in the low gear setting, but it won't also give you a lower normal running gear if you specify thats what you want?

Totally off topic: How are those tires holding up? I trust the BFG quality from years of baja racing, but the cooper st looks like a much better daily driver tread pattern. Have you had them aired down on some sharp rocks? I don't want to get a cut in the sidewall!
(for anyone who wants cooper st 255/85/16 they are $149 at arizona "jeff furriers western tire centers" right now.

They've held up for 25k miles just fine. That's over sharp rocks to nothing but ice. Aired down to 40 PSI. I'm getting another set when these guys are done, probably have around 30-40% left.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
oly884 said:
They've held up for 25k miles just fine. That's over sharp rocks to nothing but ice. Aired down to 40 PSI. I'm getting another set when these guys are done, probably have around 30-40% left.
Wow, 40 psi? What do you run them at stock?
I ran my old 285/75 bfg at's at 35 on the road and 20 offroad.

oly884

SOAZ said:
Wow, 40 psi? What do you run them at stock?
I ran my old 285/75 bfg at's at 35 on the road and 20 offroad.

Well with the weight of the camper, the rears are running between 35 and 40.

The fronts will range from 30 to 35 and I've aired them up to 40 to see how mileage was but ended up going back down to about 32 due to crowning.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Oh, okay. For a second I thought you were saying you were aired DOWN at 40psi. That would mean you were somehwere in the 50's before you aired down. It didn't make much sense to me. Now I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles