4.0 liner problem

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have a 67K mile 4.0 with no problems at all (now that I have said that...)

This spring I am taking a 3500 mile drive thru Canada and I don't want to have any problems with this liner issue I have read a lot about.

Do all LR 4.0 have this issue?

What are the symptoms?

If it's caught early is it fixable, or does it it require a rebuild - and will that have issues later too?

Thanks for the help!

nvprospector

Adventurer
The slipped liner only happens if you have over heated the engine multiple times, or did on massive over heat. If you have not over heated you engine, or if it started to over heat and shut it down soon enough, you will not have an issue.

There are no early warning signs of a liner slipping. When a liner has slipped, it is similar to a blown head gasket. Steamed cleaned piston and spark plug, loss of power, and sometimes a multiple cylinder miss fire error code in the OBD2 system.

The only way to fix a slipped liner is to replace the block, or have a machine shop press in a new liner and pin it near the crank shaft.

Don't worry and have fun on your trip.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I agree with NV here. If you have never overheated your engine don't worry about it. As a precaution, I would make sure your radiator is in primo working shape. Call Nathan at Discount Rovers - I have his phone number somewhere around here - his cell number -he loves it when people call him on his cell on the weekends...:shakin: anyways, order a new water pump and thermostat in case you need it along the way. Very easy to change out yourself. Other than that, carry a good list of spares.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I slipped a liner and never once overheated the motor. It slipped slowly. The first symptom was a slow leak resulting in coolant in the exhaust and occasional Service Engine Soon lights. Eventually (6k later) the sleeve completely dropped and the truck immediately overheated.

Most of the time you will get many signs before it actually happens which should give you plenty of time to get somewhere safe. If your vehicle is running well when you leave, it shouldn't be a concern.

Craig

alia176

Explorer
A slipped liner can be a manufacturing defect or caused by overheating; I've seen both. Just take care of your cooling system and enjoy your trip. Make a note of all LR dealers on your route just in case something happens.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz