3rd gen trans drain and fill

Tliska10

Hi y'all, I got 156k on my Montero and thinking of doing a drain and fill or flush what are you guys thinking
I don't think it's ever been done?
If a drain and fill I'm guessing sp3 Hyundai fliuds, should I get 4qts drain and refill etc.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I usually get 8-10 quarts of sp3. Drain ~2qts through hose described in the instruction. Add 2 and repeat until fluid color is a nice red like the new fluid. Then use 1-2 quarts to help set the level on the dipstick.

Tliska10

Cool, that's what I want to do, I don't want to drop the whole trans pan, just a drain and refill,drive a little, drain and refill, etc.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Doesn't NOT dropping the "Pan" and NOT changing the automatic transmission filter kinda defeat the purpose of a transmission fluid change? I am "Assuming" that the Montero does have a serviceable filter within the automatic transmission.

Just remember that "Fresh" transmission fluid will have lot's of "Fresh" detergent additives that will wash off all that sludge buildup from the plates and other components in your high mileage automatic transmission that have built up from years of operation. That fresh fluid change CAN lead to a quick automatic transmission failure.

Would "I" change the automatic transmission fluid? That would depend upon how badly "Burnt" the current transmission fluid "Smells".

If your current transmission fluid does not "Smell" badly burnt and still has some of the original "Red" color I would change the fluid. I would also drop the pan and change the filter. If the fluid "Smells" badly burnt or is a nice shade of poop brown I would not change the fluid. Drive it until breaks and then rebuild it or sell the Montero before that situation occurs as changing the fluid just might put that automatic transmission in an early grave!

If you insist on only a transmission fluid change many of the quicky oil change facilities will have a transmission fluid change machine that will completely change the fluid in your automatic transmission in 1 easy operation. Typically less than a $100 for the fluid and the service. For a $100 or less that's sure as Hell beats crawling under the Montero to play the old "Drain and Add" method you are considering.

Something to consider!

Last edited:

Tliska10

Ya it definitely doesn't smell burnt at all... And shifts fine. Just want to swap the fliuds cause I'm sure it's never been done

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I would highly recommend changing the fluid and the filter. The filter swap is more involved, but if you change your trans. fluid on a regular basis from now on, you'll likely not have to swap it again. I've got over 200k on my Montero, and I've change the filter once...but a fluid exchange is a regular part of my vehicle service. One thing is for certain... don't use any other ATF except Mitsu. Motors SPIII. When servicing the trans., I usually purchase 10-12 quarts for a complete flush.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I do all of the drain and add process at once with no driving between. Once the fluid color is good and the level set correctly, I don't bother with it for 50k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles