3rd Gen Rear Door Fold Down Table

Fergie

Expedition Leader
After seeing this type of table on many different rigs, I wanted my own version, and decided to take a crack at it on our 2001 3rd Gen LTD.

After pulling the panel off the door, and seeing how everything is attached, I removed the stock net, and measured up the space. I was able to fit a 24" wide by 14" deep table into the space seen, and still keep it fairly flush.

I made a backing plate out of flat stock and some 1/4-20 nuts and clear coated it after knocking the burrs off. I used a piano hinge and more flat stock to make the hinge.

Then, I had a buddy make me the table portion out of maple and walnut. The rose is a vinyl decal from Amazon, cut down to just the outline of the rose itself. I put down about 8 coats of urethane to make sure the sticker is never coming up!

I then installed the darn thing.

I used some 3/4" nylon webbing for the support straps, and utilized the factory attachment point for ease of installation.

I used some rubber snubbers to keep the table from rattling on the road, and double up the webbing where it attaches to the table itself.

At the factory net attachment hooks, I ran some 1/4" bungee cord material so I could have a spot for hanging rags or a roll of paper towels as shown above.

Finally, I installed a footman loop to hang my cooking utensil kit from, and a piece of flat plate as a magnetic base for any task lighting that I needed. I figured this was easier than running power for an LED or some other sort of work light.

And that is the finished product.

Thanks for looking.

G

geordie4x4

Observer
Nice work.
I like how you have gone to the effort of all the little details. I have a table but it is just ply with a laminex top, basic but works.

I also like the idea of the webbing strap with the buckle as I have a fridge that slides out to the end of the table, I have to un-hook my support cable on that end to pull the fridge out far enough when the table is down. The buckle would be handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94