3rd Gen rear diff carrier shims

offthepath

Adventurer
Hey guys. Well I'm installing the 3rd (maybe 4th can't even remeber) bonded seal for my rear Arb. I hoping they will just give me a refund for the POS so I can get an elocker but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to have some diff carrier shims regardless if I go with a harrop or reinstall the Arb. I can't find any OEM sources for the shims. I know someone mentioned using toyoya shims. Does anyone either have the mitsu shims they'd sell me, or some info on what other shims would work?

Thanks

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Do you have ASA (mitsubishilinks.com)? You can get all the shim and spacer part numbers that way.

If you havent yet, check my build thread as I put most of the spacer numbers there.

offthepath

Adventurer
The part number is MR508116. Its the thick shims for the carrier bearings. It is no longer made and there are no dealers anywhere in the US that have it (thats what I was told by a dealer anyway).

I know someone had a shop install lockers and they said toyoya shims were used but I dont remember seeing any part number or specs for the yota ones.

So, anyone have the mitsu ones they'd sell or know what alternate part would work?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
It might have been my thread where you read about Toyota shims being used for some parts of my gear/locker installs. But I don't know which Toyota shims were used or for which gear/side, the tech picked them out of dozens of options based on the measurements needed to complete my specific install.

Are you having a shop do the work? If you can find a diff shop that specialized in Toyota installs then they should be able to find a Toyota shim that works once they get in there and take measurements. If you're doing it yourself, once you take measurements and see what size you need, you can always call Ken at GearInstalls.com and tell him what you need and I bet he'll be able to give you the corresponding Toyota part number you need or maybe even be willing to sell and ship the shim to you.

offthepath

Adventurer
Dealer was right no where in us has it but the rest of the world does.

Thanks I'll look into that. Have you used the site before? I can't remeber but I thought I tried a similar site when I first installed the locker and it initially said it was available but after I placed the order it said it was also unavailable. I'll give it a try again though.

Well ARB is sending a new locker so I'll have to find time to tear it apart again. Hopefully this one works.

offthepath

Adventurer
Are these shims somehow special or weird ? If its just simple ring shims, Thats standardised parts.
I just submit their needed measurements and buy that stuff from a local bearings supplier.
If you live isolated or just like the mouseclicker lifestyle, McMaster Carr is probably a good source too.

I'll check that out too. Thanks

offthepath

Adventurer
FYI for anyone else that needs Gen 3 carrier shims.

Amaya canceled my order and said they were not available. I was not able to find anything comparable at McMaster Carr etc.

After some searching I found that Toyota 10.5 rear diff shims are pretty dang close. The ID is identical and they are a few mm to large on the OD. They don't come in the same thickness as OEM montero shims, but you can add 2 together to get the same thickness.

I ordered several different thicknesses and used a bench grinder to turn them down to the correct OD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94