3rd Gen Ram owners....Skid plates

SixLug

Explorer
What are you guys doing for skids, if anything? My 06 Mega has the transfer skid, but that's it. The only option I am finding for the vulnerable fuel tank is the factory unit which is a little chintzy looking, but admittedly better than nothing.

I shot this place an email: https://dethloffmfg.com/

They are showing that the engine / trans and fuel skids for the 3rd gen are "in development".

Other than that, I don't see any options. Any good homebrew skids?

My truck is super stock really, compared to a lot of the rigs here. 285/75R17s and the standard Smarty Jr / intake / exhaust that it came with when purchased (although I reverted to the stock intake). I want to start outfitting it once I get my camper shell on, and rock sliders and skids would be my first priority.

Dalko43

Explorer
There is a company called Asfir which produces aluminum skid plates; I've seen their products for the 4th gen, I don't know if they make anything for the 3rd gen.

You're already aware of Dethloff.

The only other option I've heard of is adapting the PW skid plates to the non-PW version. Supposedly there is some drilling of the frame required since there is a crossmember (which is unique to the PW) that fixes the fuel tank skid and some of the skid rails in in place. I saw a 6.7L Cummins owner post some pictures about that process a while back (I forget which forum). There does seem to be a bit of work involved.

I'm truly amazed that, despite all the aftermarket companies catering towards the diesel Ram (ARB, Thuren, AEV, ect.), there is a serious lack of skid plate options. You'd think that one of those major companies would've recognized that by now.

Inline6

Adventurer
counter question, is there a need? I have my 3rd gen torn down now for some long needed maintenance work. Not sure I see that much venerable based on not rock crawling it like a jeep.

Ill do more looking this weekend as I get back to it.

If not real need, I can see no one making skids. I also see jeep parts for the TJ/LJ platform falling off, thinking this will be the case for the 3rd gens as well. Now that the 5th is out.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
FCA is already discontinuing some factory parts for the 3G. I needed an A/C clutch rebuild kit a couple months ago and had to chase down NOS.

madakira

Observer
Any fab shop can whip you up a skid plate no problem. That's the route I would go. You can get it made how you want. I am currently not running a skid plate, but may in the future.

SixLug

Explorer
The tank just seems so vulnerable. I don’t think you would have to be hardcore rock crawling to encounter an instance where it could get punctured. Especially mine being a long wheelbase mega, and one not lifted to the moon, what 99% of most off road rigs would bump right over, my truck would get much closer to high-center situations. Even a misplaced stump or toot or smaller rock could be an issue without being in a crazy off-road situation. My thoughts. A tank skid is a cheap investment I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles