3rd Gen Ram 2500/Power Wagon Reliability

brogo

Anyone know what is considered high miles for these trucks? I have 183 on my Tundra, and several friends have nearly 300K on theirs without issues, but I’m not sure what to expect with a Ram.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I fill up as much as my wife’s Tahoe, we both get roughly the same mileage. Take in mind I idle my truck allot, if we stop for gas, food or just run in a store it’s running. on a trip I usually don’t shut it off unless I’m in a place for an hour or so. May sound odd, but after being a police officer for almost 20 years it’s a habit that’s hard to break.
Around here if you leave a vehicle idling it's possible it'll be gone when you come out of the store, haha

Oilbrnr

Anyone know what is considered high miles for these trucks? I have 183 on my Tundra, and several friends have nearly 300K on theirs without issues, but I’m not sure what to expect with a Ram.
If maintained, I don't see why 300k+ would be unexpected. I've really not come across many negative comments regarding the 6.4 (some lifter/exhaust tick when cold, diff from 5.7). 6 speed life is probably more questionable vs. the ZF. As to what the interior will be like, switchgear/plastics/fabrics. Gen4 will be better than gen3.

Hopefully my PW won't have a catastrophic failure like my 80 series Lexus did at 180k with a blown head gasket...

dstefan

Includes NHTSA complaints. You should also look up sales figures somewhere to see problems per hundred or thousand and compare similarly to other brands/models. Probably ought to look at the Dodge 2500s from the same year too.

Figuring this s*#t out will make you crazy … ask me how I know! ?

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
My 09 2500 QCLB 5.7 3.73 with stock 265 tires regularly turned in 17 mpg figures highway. After leveling, Ranch Hands, and 35's (& speedo cal) it dropped to a consistent 13, although would hit 15 occasionally (presumably with a tailwind).

Put over 300k on it. It ate the cam and lifters, wore out the limited slip in the rear end in the 180-250k range. Was showing signs of repeating the engine and rear end failures when the trans started slipping. I was planning to fix it again but when the AC took a dump I dumped the truck.

It was comfortable, rear seat legroom was lacking in the QC. I enjoyed the power of the Hemi, it was adequate for the truck. It would have been happier with 4.56's. All that said I don't regret my time with it but I don't regret getting rid of it either!

I like my V10 Excursion much better. Not as peppy as the Dodge was but more comfortable and practical even if it's not quite as fuel efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles