3rd Gen Ram 2500/Power Wagon Reliability

brogo

I currently own an 03 Tundra with 180K miles on it and love the truck, but I'm thinking about moving to a 3/4 ton for more payload and towing (and about the same gas mileage). Looking at a 2006 Power Wagon with about 100K on it. It looks clean and sounds like it's been well taken care of, but I'm a Toyota guy and a bit wary of Dodge/Chrysler reliability from that era. I've done quite a bit of research and from what I can tell there's not a general consensus on these trucks (like there is with my Tundra)—some people have theirs forever and put several hundred thousand miles on them, others say the 3rd gen rams were plagued with horrible transmissions that will absolutely fail, and have some weird electrical issues. Looking for some real world experience on 3rd gen Ram reliability. Thanks!

Explorerinil

Observer
I had an 03, 06 and a 07 mega cab, all we diesels. My buddy had an 06 gasser and drove it until 200k with 37’s otherwise bone stock with a leveling kit. He ran the crap out of that truck, never adjusted the speedometer and it was constantly down shifting. I figured that truck wouldn’t last... I was wrong he traded it in at 200k for a ram cummins truck. My 03 had 180k on it when I traded it in for my 06 which I drove for one year and 60k, traded that in for a new cummins mega cab on 07 which I just had to have back then. I drove the mega cab until 2012 and 150k... never had a problem with that or any other ram truck. For me they have been damn good solid reliable trucks.

The 3rd gens are nowhere near as nice as the 4th gens for a number of reasons but they really aren’t any less reliable. It all boils down to maintaining your vehicle properly, if you change your fluids and filters like your supposed to and the previous owners didn’t abuse the pickup it should be a really solid purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had an 03, 06 and a 07 mega cab, all we diesels. My buddy had an 06 gasser and drove it until 200k with 37’s otherwise bone stock with a leveling kit. He ran the crap out of that truck, never adjusted the speedometer and it was constantly down shifting. I figured that truck wouldn’t last... I was wrong he traded it in at 200k for a ram cummins truck. My 03 had 180k on it when I traded it in for my 06 which I drove for one year and 60k, traded that in for a new cummins mega cab on 07 which I just had to have back then. I drove the mega cab until 2012 and 150k... never had a problem with that or any other ram truck. For me they have been damn good solid reliable trucks.
I hear the 6.4 exhaust of a neighbor's coming down the street and lick my lips. My buddy's brother had a 5.7 1500 that he had for a few years. They got nearly 20 mpg at 75 mph on 395 north to Mammoth. 22.5 mpg heading south as you're descending. For whatever reason he got a Tundra. it's a reliable,thirsty rocket but the filling stations come around more frequently.
I'd love a PW with graphics delete.

Explorerinil

Observer
I hear the 6.4 exhaust of a neighbor's coming down the street and lick my lips. My buddy's brother had a 5.7 1500 that he had for a few years. They got nearly 20 mpg at 75 mph on 395 north to Mammoth. 22.5 mpg heading south as you're descending. For whatever reason he got a Tundra. it's a reliable,thirsty rocket but the filling stations come around more frequently.
After coming from owning diesels for 20 years, I’ll say the 6.4 with the 8 speed is allot of fun to drive.

brogo

The 3rd gens are nowhere near as nice as the 4th gens for a number of reasons but they really aren’t any less reliable. It all boils down to maintaining your vehicle properly, if you change your fluids and filters like your supposed to and the previous owners didn’t abuse the pickup it should be a really solid purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, thanks!

brogo

Wow. A gas 5.7 getting 20?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
After coming from owning diesels for 20 years, I’ll say the 6.4 with the 8 speed is allot of fun to drive.
Not that I expect a 3/4 truck to be decent on gas but, I'm curious if there was an improvement with the '19's went they switched to an 8 speed? I get around 18-19 with my F150 and I'm wondering if a 19+ PW would be that much different? I think older ones were getting around 14 mpg?

Explorerinil

Observer
Not that I expect a 3/4 truck to be decent on gas but, I'm curious if there was an improvement with the '19's went they switched to an 8 speed? I get around 18-19 with my F150 and I'm wondering if a 19+ PW would be that much different? I think older ones were getting around 14 mpg?
I average 15, the best I get on the highway is 17. About the same as my wife’s Tahoe. The owners manual states 89 octagon recomended, I run 87, so I don’t know if I will get better with 89 or not. I also run 35’s bs the stock 33’s that came with it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I average 15, the best I get on the highway is 17. About the same as my wife’s Tahoe. The owners manual states 89 octagon recomended, I run 87, so I don’t know if I will get better with 89 or not. I also run 35’s bs the stock 33’s that came with it.
Yeah, 17 vs 19 on the highway isn't that much difference to me. 90% of my driving is flat highway /freeway driving. I don't think I'd worry about 2 mpg.

Always did like the PW. I wonder if there will be any changes to the 21's coming out.

Explorerinil

Observer
Ok I just looked at a recent trip from Peoria il to fish creek Wisconsin area. Hand calculated the fuel used and the amount of miles traveled. I carried 4 people and a truck bed packed with gear. Retrax cover was shut (doesn’t really matter) and yakama overhaul rack was up but no gear on it. Truck was running 35’s and I disabled the mds through the gear up and down button. An average of stop and go, highway and ideling in a construction zone gave me 12.8 mpg.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ok I just looked at a recent trip from Peoria il to fish creek Wisconsin area. Hand calculated the fuel used and the amount of miles traveled. I carried 4 people and a truck bed packed with gear. Retrax cover was shut (doesn’t really matter) and yakama overhaul rack was up but no gear on it. Truck was running 35’s and I disabled the mds through the gear up and down button. An average of stop and go, highway and ideling in a construction zone gave me 12.8 mpg.
I'm not sure what my loaded down fuel mileage is. I'm usually towing a trailer as well so, I'm sure that has a bigger impact then what I'm carrying for passengers and cargo.

Loaded down and towing on mostly flat roads I seem to average about 9/10 mpg.

Explorerinil

Observer
I'm not sure what my loaded down fuel mileage is. I'm usually towing a trailer as well so, I'm sure that has a bigger impact then what I'm carrying for passengers and cargo.

Loaded down and towing on mostly flat roads I seem to average about 9/10 mpg.
I fill up as much as my wife’s Tahoe, we both get roughly the same mileage. Take in mind I idle my truck allot, if we stop for gas, food or just run in a store it’s running. on a trip I usually don’t shut it off unless I’m in a place for an hour or so. May sound odd, but after being a police officer for almost 20 years it’s a habit that’s hard to break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles