3rd gen pickup ifs suspension performance

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
This thread started out to show what some simple modifications to an early Toyota ifs suspension was capable of; both to increase trail performance and to give some room for increased tire size on the cheap. As my experience with the truck on the trail has increased, so have my modifications. I now aim to take this thread in a slightly different route. I want to show those that are getting into to the world of exploring with an early ifs (torsion bar front end) Toyota Pickup or 4Runner how they can modify it in stages in order for it to do what they want it to do, all while keeping it budget friendly and without having to do a solid axle swap (SAS).
All of this comes from my real world experience and will not be sugar coated (if others have different experiences please share). I am updating my first post from many years ago so that that what you read is my true progression of what I have done to make my early ifs Toyota more capable for getting out and exploring. I tell people that my truck is built to get me to the secluded camp site that they can't get to. It has also been a fun evolution!
I do have a true build thread of my truck on here that is filled with both trail worthy stuff and various modifications to my camping setup. But I want this thread to be all about how to gradually increase your ifs truck's capabilities on the trail.
What I started with back in 2011 was a bone stock 1989 Toyota pickup with a 22RE 4cylinder engine and 101,000 miles. The build slowly began from there. The only notable features that have not been included in the following posts is that I have re-geared to 4:88's in the differentials with a Detroit locker in the rear and put a 4.7 gear kit in a single transfer case.
PLEASE chime in with real world experiences on what you have experienced off-road with your trucks so that others can learn from your experiences.
Here is a pick of where the truck is now and the following text is where it started with the original post. Hope some folks can learn something from it:
IMG_0146.jpg
And the story begins:
So, it was nice out today in my snowy little ski town and I had a little time on my hands so I thought that I would see what the results of my winter suspension mods would do. I started the winter with no lift up front and Old Man Emu "medium" springs in the rear to handle the weight of my Wildernest camper. The camper weighs about 300-350 pounds and with the OME "mediums" in the back the truck sat about 3/4" - 1" higher than stock with the camper on and none of the load that I carry when on the trail. I am running 33x10.50 BFG M/T's and had slight rubbing issues on the front without any lift, even with some trimming and pinch weld hammering. I had already done some trimming in the rear to get rid of some rust on the upper wheel wells and to gain some clearance for a bumper that I built.
I decided that a small lift was in order to gain some lift in the front to alleviate the rubbing, and to add a little more weight carrying capacity to the rear. Over the winter I added an extra leaf to the rear to make the springs the "heavy" version of the Old Man Emu setup. For the front I went with 4Crawler's 1 1/2" ball joint spacers and a 1" diff drop for sake of cv joint longevity. I also relaxed the torsion bars a half inch to put the cv's in a closer to stock operating position while running down the highway in 4wd during the icy parts of winter. Overall I ended up with about 1" of lift up front and about 1 1/2" in the rear. I would have liked to have added Old Man Emu shocks as well because I feel they would have given a better ride but, I went with KYB Monomax's for a 0-2" lift as I am on a budget and they were half the cost. They ride firm but they are o.k. and not too stiff.
Today I stacked some blocks to drive up on and see how the setup flexes. I started with a 12" wood block and backed my rear driver's side tire onto it. I continued to add height to my makeshift RTI ramp until my suspension was maxed out front and rear with the final block measurement being 19 1/2 inches tall. Although I have not tested the truck on the trail yet since they are still under snow in my part of the country; with my testing today, I feel that it will give me a competent setup on the trails when they do melt out. I'm sorry that I don't have pics or results from when it was stock but the info and pics that follows gives a pretty good idea of what about $600 in parts can do to an early IFS Toyota for a minimal lift, with tight suspension characteristics (I don't have a front sway bar) and decent flex. After a lot of research this is what I feel is the maximum level of performance you can get out of the early IFS without going to a long travel front setup. I have been street driving it for about 2 months now and am quite happy with the ride. Time will tell how the cv's hold up on the trail, but with the diff drop and relaxed torsion bars I feel like I will be o.k.
This is how the truck sits on level ground (forgive the plywood in the driveway, it is mud season here and with a dirt driveway you do what you can to keep mud from getting tracked into the house).:
007.jpg
Pic from the driver's side. Note that the front wheel is about 1/2" off the ground. I am using stock upper bump stops and low profile lower bump stops. I will probably switch back to stock lower bump stops as well because I don't feel that the low pro's made that much difference as the truck was teetering and I had yet to hit my lower bump stops on up travel on the passenger side. Here's the pic:
001.jpg
From the front:
002.jpg
From the passenger side:
004.jpg
Finally, from the rear:
005.jpg
A pic of the "block" I used:
006.jpg
And finally a pic of what it looks like on flat ground with the camper on:
133.jpg
By measuring from the top of the rim's lip to the fenders at all four corners while both sitting level and flexed out, I figure I have about: 2 inches of down travel and 5 1/2 inches of up travel in the front for a total front travel of 7 1/2 inches. In the rear I measured 3 1/2 inches of up travel to a flat spring and 9 1/2 inches of down travel until a front wheel lifted off the ground for a total of about 13 inches of travel in the rear. Again; 7 1/2 inches up front and 13ish inches in the rear give or take, as my method of measuring is subjective. While it is no rock monster, I feel that this is a fairly respectable suspension setup for a combination daily driver/weekend explorer/trail toy/camping rig. I hope this helps out anyone looking for a budget suspension that I hope will hold up to the task of moderately difficult trails when I get to play again this summer. I will definitely update this in a few months when I am able to put it to some real world testing. As of now I am happy with my setup. I do have some questionable cv boots so we will see how they hold up to the BJ spacers ( I do have new boots ready to go on but I want to see what happens to the old ones in the interest if science and engineering). I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

grotto

Observer
Thanks for posting !! I am mostly stock right now and this is the direction I may be going in the future. Good information, look forward to the follow-up.

Clay

Adventurer
Thanks for taking the time to post this info up and start a discussion. Your post inspired me to go see how my 2nd Gen 4runner would compare. I have stock front IFS, and OME 2900 coils in the rear, bilstein 4600 shocks all around.

DSCF1543.jpgDSCF1542.jpg

My numbers up front were identical and I measured 10.5" of rear wheel travel. My rig has 31x10.5's currently, but I plan to switch over to the same tires as you have when these wear out.

Honestly, with a rear locker installed, I seriously doubt I would ever really need more wheel travel than this. There's hasn't been a place I've wanted to go lately that I haven't been able to in this truck. Sometimes, it takes a little effort, but that's part of the fun.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Clay, thanks for the input. It's good to see what a stock front end is capable of as I didn't measure anything before hand. I started this thread because I wanted to show what an early model IFS Toyota was capable of with a popular low budget, BJ spacer lift in order to increase both tire size and ground clearance. By combining this front end setup with the quality and reasonable price of the Old Man Emu rear spring setup I feel that I have gotten the best of what is available on a budget for these trucks and 4runners. I know that most people that buy one of these trucks probably don't want to spend a ton on it but do want to gain some off-road performance. Not everyone can afford to do; or wants to do, a solid axle swap or a long travel front end kit. I am also not a fan of the 4" drop bracket kits as I feel that they offer more lift than necessary in order to gain clearance for 33 inch tires. I think that this is a very good "jack of all trades" setup for a daily driver/weekend explorer. After all, these are some of the most reliable vehicles out there and even in stock form they are great all around trucks.

Last edited:

Clay

Adventurer
Oh, I totally agree. I can tell you from first hand experience that most people don't need a solid axle swapped vehicle, and proof of that is the number of vehicles being built these days that are not. Five years ago it was vogue to over build and make trucks huge, but now we see that people are fine with rigs that are only slightly over stock. This website is the proof, since we see folks building "expedition style" vehicles more and more.

On a budget note, I have to say that building an 86-95 Toyota is cheap, with ample aftermarket support that has everything from low budget to totally extravagant. This means you can focus on strengthening parts you feel need it, and at the price you can afford. To me, money not spent on the vehicle is spent on the journey. Balancing my budget between getting there and being able to get there is important, and most of the time getting out takes priority. It looks like you feel the same way.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Clay, I think you just shared the feelings of many of us here on the forum. Working on your rig is fun but in the long run it is about where it takes you and what you see along the way.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Do to a long winter and a busy work schedule so far this summer I haven't been out in the truck much. I finally got out a few times over the last few days and feel like I can finally give an evaluation of my winter suspension mods. I ran some trails in my own backyard around Crested Butte, Colorado. I'm listing the trails as a point of reference for what I have subjected the truck to at this point in time; since I did the suspension mods. The ratings I give for these trails are based on Charles A. Wells book "Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails". The first was Paradise Divide which is an easy loop that can be done in 2 wheel and consist of a graded dirt road surface with a bunch of potholes. The second was Italian Creek / Reno Divide which is rated as moderate or intermediate. This trail consisted of great views and miles of what I will call "kidney punchers". Basically miles of rocks up to 10 inches tall that are consistent and unavoidable. The final trail was Devil's Punchbowl which is rated as difficult. This is a rocky, narrow shelf road with a beautiful views and a good drop off on one side.
I feel like these trails gave me a pretty good cross reference of what most trails out there are like, that are not "rock crawling" trails. I think the suspension did awesome. It rode a little harsh when the tires were at close to street pressure but once I softened the tires by airing down to about 15-18 psi it did great. I feel like the suspension gave me much more control than I previously had.
As another point of reference: I ran Devil's Punchbowl about 10 years ago in a stock '89 Toyota pickup and was able to go down it but not back up it. This time it was a piece of cake. Granted the Detroit locker in the rear end and my 33" BFG KM2's definitely helped, but I feel that mods like this are soon to come for most people using this suspension setup for trail use. I followed a buddy up the Punchbowl in a built Jeep (35's, 4.1 transfer case, dual ARB's) and I kept up just fine. Overall, I am completely satisfied with my suspension setup and I think it is a great way to gain some additional tire clearance and performance for a relatively small amount of $$, especially if you are trying to save money for other things. The only thing I would change is that I would have saved a little longer and upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins or Old Man Emu's as I feel that they would give a little bit better all around ride. But I am super happy with my new setup. If you are contemplating this setup, go for it.
Sorry I have no pics but I tried to post a video of the truck in action but I can't figure out how. I will try again later and hopefully show you the truck in action.

Last edited:

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
No front sway bar. I think it does fine on the highway. It has a little more roll but it corners fine. I don't miss it.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I know that this is an older post but I thought I would give an update on my suspension as I have gotten out a fair bit this summer and ran some fun trails at the end of last summer. Most all of the trails that I have run have been considered intermediate/difficult, but the difficult ones were only rated so due to the nature of them being high mountain shelf roads with moderate obstacles corresponding with decent drop offs. This summer I have spent a week at the FJ Summit in Ouray wheeling and leading a few trails and have been out on several occasions in my backyard outside of Crested Butte, Colorado. Just for reference; some notable trails that I have run since my last post are, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass, and Devils Punchbowl (all in Colorado).
All of these passes are typical of what I run in my truck; spectacular scenery with small challenges thrown in here and there, combined with big drop offs to one side or the other and secluded camping spots scattered around.
The truck has done great! I no longer have the camper and got rid of the extra leaf in the rear to compensate for this and I still feel that this is a good route to go for a budget ifs lift. The BJ Spacers gave the truck enough clearance for 33/10.50's without rubbing; and with the 1" front differential drop and relaxed torsion bars my cv joints have held up well, even running 4 wheel drive at highway speeds during the winter.
The Old Man Emu rear springs are great! They provide "just enough" lift and ride way better than stock. Now that they have settled in they haul the extra weight of my camping gear without sagging noticeably and ride great with or without weight in the bed. They also flex fairly well on the trail.
This winter I also did a rear u-bolt flip which gained me some extra ground clearance out back and moved the lower shock mount about an inch higher on the axle. This also increased rear wheel travel about an inch as I found out that my shock length was limiting my rear suspension travel (probably still is).
I also mentioned in the first post that I had questionable cv boots. I have blown both front outer cv boots since the mods; but, the original cv boots were very dry cracked and rotted and I expected this anyway. One of the cv boots went after about a dozen days on the trail and the other held up about twice as long. Again, they were in bad shape to start with and I knew they were on their last leg when I did the BJ Spacer lift. I was actually surprised that they lasted as long as they did out on the trail. I have since replaced them with used factory Toyota cv axles that had good boots and they do not show any abnormal wear and are holding up great. I think the BJ Spacers used with a 1" differential drop/relaxed torsion bars is the way to go. My cv axles are at a close to stock angle and I think this new/used set will last for years to come.
Overall; after 2 years of using my truck to explore, I can say that I am happy with my suspension mods and would recommend a similar setup to anyone with the early Toyota ifs looking for a reasonably priced suspension to clear larger tires and perform better on the trail. I still toy with going to a 35 inch tire but deep down I feel like it is more for the fact that I have never had 35's and just want them. I know that my money would be better spent on armor for the under-carriage to just "slide over stuff" as opposed to adding more weight to an already somewhat "fragile" front end. After all it works great now, why mess it up? It goes everywhere I want and comes home without breaking. I will update again if I get "stupid" and go bigger.
In the end it does well on and off-road and with the price it leaves you with a little more $$$$ in your pocket for those other mods that will really get you down the trail like: gearing, a rear locker, and a winch. (BTW: for you newbee Toyota owners, best trail mods I have made have been my rear Detroit locker, and the lower (4.7) gears in my transfer case. Spendy? Yes. Worth it? Most definitely.)
Hope my update helps those out there with the early Toyota ifs, whether they own a truck or a 4Runner (I have a full Old Man Emu suspension on my wife's 3rd Gen 4Runner and their rear coils are as good as their rear leaf springs).
Remember; get out and explore and then determine what your truck needs. Spend your money where it counts and save some for gas money so that you can keep exploring. The fun part is seeing stuff!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Your setup is very much like I had my '91, WilderNest, 33x10.50 and all, at one time in its life.

This is SDORI 1.5" ball joints spacers, 25mm Sway-A-Way torsion bars, OME N98 shocks, OME SD33 stabilizer. The sway bar was removed for pretty much the whole time I owned the truck, about 16 years up to Dec 2015.

rubithon_23_alt.jpg rubithon_29_alt.jpg

The back at the time was Northwest Offroad Stage II springs with an Add-A-Leaf and OME N94 shocks (the old twin tube heavy shocks). Those leafs broke, though, and I moved on to OME Dakar CS019R + D6XL to replace them.

It eventually went back to 30x9.50 tires, removed the BJ spacers, took the D6XL out, etc. to lower it back to a more stock height. A senior dog tripping and falling out of the back made me realize that I needed to make it more accessible for him.

Last edited:

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Quick update: started this thread over two years ago and I am still on the same suspension. Nothing changed, nothing broken, still happy with it. Would still recommend it!
Where she is now: BJ Spacers with relaxed torsion bars up front, Old Man Emu rear springs. This equates to 1 1/4" of suspension lift up front and less than 2" of suspension lift in the rear with a 1" body lift on the cab and 35" tires.
Here she is now (not the greatest pics, sorry)
IMG_0194.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0196.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior