3rd Gen Montero Trans is Hard to Shift

rusmannx

Hey all. I've disconnected the linkage at the transmission and removed the range switch which gives me enough room to turn it by hand, but it's HARD. I was hoping it was a linkage issue but now that the trans is disconnected I can shift from inside the vehicle with zero issues. When the linkage is hooked up I can barely get the shifter to move and am afraid of breaking something (yes, it's that hard to shift).

The next step I considered is dropping the transmission pan to see if I can look up and identify what the shift rod connects to, but I'm not sure it will actually tell me anything so I thought I would post here first. While I've rebuilt manual transmissions before, I have never been inside an automatic and am not sure I'd know what I was looking at.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Go to the link in my signature to get an 03 FSM. The transmission overhaul starts in section 23B-14. It shows the disassembly diagrams for the automatic. It may be an issue with your detent lever or parking roller rod assembly (See 23B-19, Items 30-36).

rusmannx

Well I finally got around to it, and after draining the transmission I can now shift it by hand EASILY. This makes it seem like something inside is holding pressure when it shouldn't, but searching the internet hasn't gotten me any clues. Does anyone know what might cause this? Should I just put on a new filter and fill it up and see what happens next?

rusmannx

Well I changed the filter and filled it full of fluid and have been driving it for two days without issue. Whatever was stuck is unstuck for now. I'll report back if anything changes.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Good to hear that it is working normally again. I'm not sure what would cause that on a cable shift design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94