3rd Gen Montero Questions

PHeller

Adventurer
This is my biggest worry about the Montero. The engines frankly seem somewhat more fragile, and considerably less common than domestic or Toyota based motors.

Someone should figure out how to transplant a Ford 302 or Chevy LSX into these.

DSouth

Observer
I'd be very curious to pull the pan and see if it was a bottom end issue once you have the old engine out. Keep us posted.

DeltaFry

Observer
This is my biggest worry about the Montero. The engines frankly seem somewhat more fragile, and considerably less common than domestic or Toyota based motors.

Someone should figure out how to transplant a Ford 302 or Chevy LSX into these.

Maybe with the interference engine built ... or as per some posts...

http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52326-6G75-engine-failures
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69721-6g75-bearing-failure
http://www.modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=908

DeltaFry

Observer
Man, I gotta think dude knew something was up. That or just bad luck :/

So the mechanic has not been able to determine the root cause to the reduced oil pressure which leads to a spun bearing. As there is oil, the oil light works(there is pressure with pump working). The only possible logical explanation I got was - "The previous owner might have operated without changing oil sometime previously and the damage might have happened earlier. It took it's own time and happened now".

I have my own X-Files theory -- I was on cruise on hills at 65 MPH. Like I explained earlier - "Yesterday was a nice and sunny Saturday and thought it would be a good time to go out for a weekend drive. So it was Texas hill country and about 200 miles for the drive. These are curvy roads but with 60 MPH speed limits. It was all going well and we were getting back to enjoy the Saturday evening. After a heavy lunch, I don't know why(maybe laziness), I happened to start using the cruise control(CC) and yes, this is a hilly area.

So as we were approaching a hill, the CC revved up heavy to control the speed(I didn't feel a downshift). I felt there was some loss in power but things were ok after that. We drove about a mile to a 4 way intersection with a STOP sign. While braking here I felt the CC was still trying to power the vehicle. Then we stopped. The A/C was on at full blast and I pressed the accelerator and the we wouldn't move. About 20 seconds and put off the a/c to notice the engine stopped. I restarted the engine and immediately felt a noise coming from the engine and the car moved with resistance to a place nearby(luckily there was some shade for the 100F temp).

I got out and thought let's simply give it some time. After 10 minutes, tried to start but the same noise and the engine stalled. It was a Saturday and that place had not internet. Walked into a local Bar and asked help. Great people, they managed to have a local mechanic arrive. So all this took about 30 minutes. He then asked me to start the engine and I did. He checks the oil(no problem) and he also check the Engine oil light(no problem). The engine started this time but there was that noise. Our man, makes a sad face and says, it's bad.

So he says the Rod bearing's gone.".

So the programming error took the RPM to red on the wrong gear?

Ideas?

122andy

Observer
Healthy engines don't die over something like that. Previously injured engines are a ticking time bomb, just depends on how bad they got hurt. There is NO reason a modern engine should die under 100k miles other than negligence. He ran it dry or something, maybe the oil light came on, it may have even lost power or started knocking. At that point he shut it down and got it towed. Filled up/changed oil. The knock temporarily went away but damage was done. He knew it was time to dump it. This is all theory tho.

122andy

Observer
I really don't know what happened while the previous owner had it. But considering it had under 100k miles *something* bad had to have happened for it to go within a couple thousand miles of you buying it. Could it be coincidence, sure, but I highly doubt it. Once a rod bearing is failed or compromised, it's just a matter of time depending in severity and circumstances. My brothers first car(320i) ran over a year with a rod knock. I've seen an over boost/detonation occur and within a week it developed a knock(sounded like noisy lifters) and within a couple hundred miles tossed a rod out the block. Every situation is different.

DeltaFry

Observer
I really don't know what happened while the previous owner had it. But considering it had under 100k miles *something* bad had to have happened for it to go within a couple thousand miles of you buying it. Could it be coincidence, sure, but I highly doubt it. Once a rod bearing is failed or compromised, it's just a matter of time depending in severity and circumstances. My brothers first car(320i) ran over a year with a rod knock. I've seen an over boost/detonation occur and within a week it developed a knock(sounded like noisy lifters) and within a couple hundred miles tossed a rod out the block. Every situation is different.

Thanks Andy, makes sense and I agree. I don't know whether I could start a thread here about a remanufactured engine installation experience...

DeltaFry

Observer
Thanks all for your suggestion and advice. I took the following actions -
1. Went to a couple more mechanics and confirmed it was a bottom end issue.
2. Went ahead and purchased a re-manufactured motor(timed-up) and it will arrive at the mechanics tomorrow and
3. The installation might begin from tomorrow or next week.

This was an expensive decision(almost doubled my used car purchase cost) but, I want to keep my Montero for what it is other than the "interference engine" . Wish me luck with the reinstall. Any suggestions while I get this reinstall are welcome and appreciated.

Got the motor today(pretty quick) and here a few snaps -->

packaging 4.jpg

offthepath

Adventurer
Well at least your getting it taken care of Deltafry. Great attitude BTW, I'd would be so pissed if my new truck needed a motor! Way to deal with it head on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles