3rd Gen Montero Questions

KyleT

Explorer
Gen3 is way better built than a GX. The gx is a Toyota but that's not the end all be all. The interior is cheaper and the vehicle is really not built as tough, plush the cost of parts is not cheap. I have a few friends that own them and they get hit several times a year by multi thousand dollar repairs. Cv's, rear air bags, wheel bearings and the secondary air systems all seem to be common from feedback from them. Don't get me wrong they are nice, but there is a reason why I have to gen3's and not a GX. I would look at the LC100/LX470 if you want the V8.

The 3.8 mits is everywhere too.

A low mileage GX will command way more as well. I am in both my trucks for well under what one GX similar miles and condition would run around here. Honestly I'm in for probably half. The montero is a niche secret. No one really knows what they are and how capable and robust they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2to4wheels

Adventurer

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Michael Brown....
Thanks great feedback.

Normal Dave...
Thanks for the heads up on the one with 85k. The price is up now on auto trader, almost 11k!! Also from the pictures it looks like the clear coat is pealing....? It may be worth it to someone but for that money I can get a nice GX470.....

I liked the looks of the craigslist posting in Ft Worth. I wish there were a few more pictures. If its still around in a few weeks when I have time to go out of town I may call on it.

So anyone here have a gen 3 and a GX470, how do they compare? I would like the Montero but am considering looking at GXs also. I really like the Toyota reliability and the fact the 4.7 platform is everywhere which would be nice 10 years down the road finding parts. Staying under 10k for a GX will be as tough as finding a Montero though!

Michael Brown....
Thanks great feedback.

Normal Dave...
Thanks for the heads up on the one with 85k. The price is up now on auto trader, almost 11k!! Also from the pictures it looks like the clear coat is pealing....? It may be worth it to someone but for that money I can get a nice GX470.....

I liked the looks of the craigslist posting in Ft Worth. I wish there were a few more pictures. If its still around in a few weeks when I have time to go out of town I may call on it.

So anyone here have a gen 3 and a GX470, how do they compare? I would like the Montero but am considering looking at GXs also. I really like the Toyota reliability and the fact the 4.7 platform is everywhere which would be nice 10 years down the road finding parts. Staying under 10k for a GX will be as tough as finding a Montero though!

I bought a '07 GX for 16k (I DID NOT WANT A GEN 3 AT ALL at this point) and it was a nice truck but it couldn't hang offroad and was very cheaply built. I liked the v8 power the fake leather seats were comfy and the stereo was fantastic but the truck itself was frail and very expensive to own. To give you an idea I owned it for a year and then traded it for a Gen 3 and paid 4k out of pocket to not have to own the GX anymore. I took it 4 wheeling (mild) twice and the front springs collapsed, the dash cracked for no reason and other cheapy things on the interior broke and the truck was a rattle trap. Keep in mind when you buy a Lexus it will have detailed service records for every 5k miles of it's life and you will not get that with a Montero but a Montero can take more abuse.
When I bought my GX I was like "oh man! this entire truck has almost all new everything done by the dealer in the last few years" and it turns out they need that regularly. My first impression of the GX was better than my initial impression of the Gen 3 having driven a Gen 2 for some 15 years, but the reality of owning one sucks. It's like a dolled up cheap imitation Gen 2 Montero, the Toyota guys are very accepting of their vehicles shortcomings and happily shell out large amounts of money to get them to be what a Montero is stock.
I'm loving this Gen 3 now, it's great offroad and feels solid. Actually feels more powerful around town than the Lexus but the Lexus wins for hauling up interstate hills. The Lexus also has way better seats (worse seat heaters) where the Montero is wrapped in real dead animals (limited) it tends to be really firm. Looking back I wish I hadn't been so stubborn initially and had just bought a Gen 3 to begin with because I would have saved myself a ton of money and would have done a lot more 4 wheeling.

Good luck in your search.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I thought I'd chime in quick here as I went through the exact same decision process roughly 2 months ago and picked up a 2001 Gen II Montero Limited with 95k a couple weekends ago. (Got tired of waiting for a good Gen II +2003)

We were looking at a GX470 or a Gen II Montero and test drove several GX470s before a reasonable Montero came up. The biggest difference I found between them was the overall approach to building a vehicle - the GX470 was a "nice" SUV, and the Montero was a "useful" SUV. A great example is the difference in rear suspension, the GX has airbags, which are very comfortable (when working), and easy to adjust for towing - however, if they break on the trail you're hosed, and furthermore, they're wicked expensive to fix. Sure you could upgrade to a GX with KDSS (if you could find one) and it's better, but again, when they break replacement costs start at 2k and go up from there, or you could do a spring replacement. On the otherhand, Montero went with a substantially lower tech approach (shocks and coil springs) that is way more robust, cheaper, and less likely to fail catastrophically.

We drove GX's that felt awesome, but they were $18k! I drove GX's that had all the service records from the dealer and yet still had blown suspension and other problems. I ended up paying ~$3.75k for my Montero and thus far it has all the dings, dents, and deferred maintenance you'd expect from a 15 year old rig, but it still feels tight, and operates well. I can buy an awful lot of maintenance, repairs, and goodies for the price difference. I never found a GX under about $14k that was in reasonable shape. I also found dealers have no idea what to do with Monteros, I offered ~50% of listed and got the truck.

Finally, if you work on your own rigs, I generally do, every single problem I've encountered (bad temp gauge, locked glove box, etc) has been solvable with ten minutes on google, generally with zero parts required. Sure there are tutorials on timing belt replacement for both the GX and the Montero on youtube, but when your random doohickey breaks, the GX forums often say "well take it to the dealer" and the Montero guys say "grab your tool box and expect to spend $30 and an afternoon.'

I can't speak too much yet to the long term reliability and performance, but coming from a 1985 Nissan 720 pickup, it really feels like Mitsubishi just channeled that old school utilitarian engineering approach and built something that works, is fixable, and generally gets the job done without much flair. And for me and my family, so far it's been perfect.

As soon as I get the Nissan sold off I'll be starting a build thread, but I'm going to try and do it a little different so it may take me a bit to get it all figured out... :)

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Well looks like I'll have a Montero tomorrow. An 03 with 98k. Its in Houston so the drive is gonna suck but really excited.

http://www.uptown-imports.com/sprin...d=1&soldonly=0&transmission=&type2=&ziphome=0

Excited for you but a bit sad as well! I almost jumped on this yesterday but was a bit hesitant about the lack of any CarFax records or mileage recordings after 40K miles. I guess I need to be a bit more risky and just jump! Drive to DC would have been a nice road trip.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Congrats Offthepath, hope it all works out.

Coffeegoat, a really good commentary on the GX vs Montero, look forward to seeing your Montero, just so I have my terminology correct, Gen III starts at 2001 right? '03+ is still Gen III, just different engine and electronic traction control with slight exterior changes.

I've really learned a lot from this group (and this post), and it just validates the purchase decision on my '02 Limited. I had no idea the GXs had the maintenance issues on top of the infamous Toyota resale.

For any of you who are "on the fence" just get the Montero already...read up on our few Mitsubishi maintenance gremlins, tackle them, then enjoy a long relatively trouble-free ownership experience.

garn

Just wanted to chime in since I just purchased an '05 Montero Limited with 157k miles and change about 2 weeks ago. Took me nearly 7 months to find it! I looked at several that were just plain abused and not cared for in any fashion before I ran upon this one. The one I got had regular basic maintenance but that's it, so I'm getting it caught up (new drivetrain fluids and trans filter, new shocks, new plugs/wires/valve cover gaskets, and new cam plug O-rings, to name a few).

I've been under quite a few different vehicles since I do all of the mechanic work myself; What a well built vehicle! I'm in love with this thing. Awesome seating position and view, amazing suspension and composure over rough terrain, great interior build quality (except for leather seats that don't stand up to anything less than weekly conditioning!), tons of interior space, and super beefy drivetrain and other mechanical componentry.

Happy as a pig in a blanket to have this truck. It's funny to see peoples reactions about the Montero, they unknowingly think it is a RAV4 competitor, lol..

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Normal_Dave - you are correct, Gen III's start in 2001, but they did a refresh (mostly engine) in 2003 which gets you a few nice upgrades, in particular the 3.8 engine. But, unlike garn, I just wasn't patient enough to wait for one. Though in my defense we've got munchkin #2 arriving in early December and I knew I'd need several months to get the monty in shape for kid transport duties.

offthepath

Adventurer
Well I got the montero yesterday and I have no doubt the miles are accurate. It is a very clean car. I'd say 9.5 on the inside and probably an 8 on the outside.

I just knew there would be some issues when I showed up and sure enough there is an oil leak in the vicinity of the rear of the engine and I noticed the front tires were pretty well done but still had ok tread, enough to make it back to denver I figured (i was wrong). It had two new rear tires.

Last night outside Amarillo the left front delaniated at 80mph. Got it over to the side of the road and saw it ripped the inner plastic fenderwell out. I was fearing the worst when I saw the main wiring harness hanging down with the loome torn off. Luckely it only pulled out the wires for left turn and fog lights.

I got the harness tied up and went to change the tire and the POS had locking lug nuts. I looked and looked for the locking tool and could not find it anywhere. Mind you it's 1230am on the shoulder of the interstate using the screen of my cell phone for light.

The tire still has air, just no tread, so I limp it in on the shoulder at 20mph into amarillo, but everything is closed and the truck tire shop says they can't help. I get it to the parking lot of Discount Tire and get some sleep. Surprissingly comfortable.

This morning Discount says they don't have the tool to removing locking lug nuts and I would have to go to mechanic. They luckly said thy'd try pounding a socket on and I got 4 new Cooper Atm. I really wanted 285s but was worried about the power and MPG hit in the mountains so I just went up one size to a 265 75 vs the 70s that were on it. So about a 31.5 in tire.

As I sit here writting this they told me they just found the lug nut tool........are you kidding me!!!! Pissed I looked for 45 min and in the same back storage compartment they found it in I'm glad I can just get back on the road.

Just a quick update. Haha.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Just a story to tell your friends about the adventure of buying a new to you Montero. I think you're still way ahead of the game, that looked to be one sweet ride, and a price that was too low for the condition and mileage, sounds like it checked out. No way a GX would be available that nice for that price, and by now, I'm betting you are experiencing the difference and laughing all the way to the bank (in Denver of course) congrats!

I found my wheel lock key in the drivers side compartment near the third seat, rectangular lid, factory zip bag with instructions. Also found another on my recent junkyard trip.

offthepath

Adventurer
Just a story to tell your friends about the adventure of buying a new to you Montero. I think you're still way ahead of the game, that looked to be one sweet ride, and a price that was too low for the condition and mileage, sounds like it checked out. No way a GX would be available that nice for that price, and by now, I'm betting you are experiencing the difference and laughing all the way to the bank (in Denver of course) congrats!

I found my wheel lock key in the drivers side compartment near the third seat, rectangular lid, factory zip bag with instructions. Also found another on my recent junkyard trip.

Haha I think that is where they found the lock, the seat was set up and I never saw the compartment in the dark.

Yep I still think it is an amazing deal even with the trouble I had. I still cannot believe how clean the inside of the car is, it really looks like new, about as close to perfect as you could get.

I was worried about the power of the 3.8l and although Im glad I held out for it over the 3.5 I thought it ran very well, not fast, but certainly could hold its own. The 5 speed is simply amazing and the car is very tight and solid feeling. I really like how it looks with the larger tires!!!

Up next will be skid plates and sliders.

Thanks for all the advice it lead me to a great deal and a platform to build down the road.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Can you snag a pic of the wheels and tires? I have been contemplating the same ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier